REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

cheapest computer

So my computer seems to be pretty much dead now. I only really use it for downloading tv and movies and browsing the web so I dont need anything fancy.
What is my absolutely cheapest option.
Onboard video and sound will be fine. I dont need much ram since all I really have open ever are firefox, virus scanner, a download manager and msn.
I do a bit of photoshop work but my computer can run that fine now and I've only got a gig of ram right now.
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

do you have a windows xp disc, or are you going to get it pre-installed?
you're CHEAPEST option would be to figure out what part is fried and just replacing that part

if you keep your casing, strip the parts
you can problem rebuild a computer for less then 200 since you don't need anything fancy
i.e. ncix has weekly specials, you can probably pick up some cheap ram (most come in packs of 2) for like $40
if you hd isn't burnt, you can probably keep your hdd, but probably need to reformat
mobos can run cheap to $60; with the processor being at $80 or something

if you don't play games, most onboard gfx cards can generally support most HQ movies
but like i said, if you want the absolute cheapest option, just figure out which part is dead and replace
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

I'm thinking the motherboard, hd and power supply are all shot.. lol

I dont even need my computer to play movies or tv either.. I've got XBMC setup on my Xbox.. basically the computer just runs as a server..
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #4

there's no way all three can be out at the same time

but i'd probably start with HD since it's usually the most common. you'd benefit from the extra space in the future anyways (and if it isn't your HD at least you'll have 2 HDs)
if you computer isn't booting up still, like you can't hear the fan from the power supply or any indication of boot up, then replace the power supply. spend a bit more and grab like a $30 power supply instead of the $15. you don't want to run the risk of it short circuiting the reset of your rig
if neither of those work then a mobo. is probably your cause. make sure it has a slot compatible with your current processor to save some money, as well as same ram slots.

i listed in that order since hds are cheap and common problem. power supplies are relatively cheap. and mobos as last resort since they're more expensive and take a bit more work to replace.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Cheapest option would be buying used, but if you want to buy new, I think you can part one together for $250 or maybe even less. I'll put a list together for you later if you want...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Cheapest option would be buying used, but if you want to buy new, I think you can part one together for $250 or maybe even less. I'll put a list together for you later if you want...
but he doesn't even use his computer for much. just pretty much web browsing and as a media server.
his cheaper option is just replacing the parts in his computer. $250 for a new or $150 for a used. opposed to spending $50 - $100 just replacing what needs to be replaced
Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Well, sure... cheapest option could be to fix it, but it sounds like he doesn't want to do that.

So... if you want to put a new machine together, this is the absolute cheapest:

CPU: $37.99
AMD Sempron LE-1250 Single Core Processor 2.2GHZ Socket AM2 512KB L2 Cache 45W Retail Box
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16819103189

Motherboard: $54.33
MSI K9N6PGM2-V AM2 GeForce 6100 NFORCE430 mATX DDR2 PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2XPCI SATA2 LAN Sound Motherboard
http://www.directcanada.com/products...anufacture=MSI

RAM: $14.99
Buffalo Select D2U800C-1G/BR 1GB 1X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL5 240PIN DIMM Memory
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...o&promoid=1066

Hard Drive: $43.25
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache 8.9MS Hard Drive
http://www.directcanada.com/products...acture=WESTERN DIGITAL

DVD Writer: $22.99
Samsung SH-S223F/BEBN 22X Speedplus DVD+-RW SATA DVD Writer OEM
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...1&promoid=1066

You can just order all of them through NCIX and do pricematch.

So that would come out to $173.55 plus tax, if you're reusing your existing computer chassis. If not, that would be another $40 or so...

Of course, I would highly recommend spending just a little more money to get the best value... spending $10-20 more for a dual-core CPU for sure... and you'd probably want a bigger hard drive for $10-20 more as well.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^
I was to lazy to search for that stuff, haha.
_Hotsauce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

^and a bit more RAM. 1GB is a bit on the low side. But I'm with Invisible Soul on the suggestions. Spending a few extra bucks on a decent CPU and a bigger hard drive would do wonders for better performance.

Used is a good option, although if you look through places like CL, most people want too much for stuff that's not much better than what InvisibleSoul speced out. At least buying from store gives you the little peace of mind that you can always get warranty service if it dies in the first few months.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote