REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #226
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by europeeing View Post
This Shayne dude is getting a lot of fucking heat eh!? I gotta see this guy play...
he scored a bunch on us (baby bulls) tonight too.

don't mind a guy playing in a div he shouldnt be in, dont mind a guy scoring 5+ goals a game.. but it gets real annoying when after every goal he does the luc bourdon thing.. shooting arrows at our bench/fans.

If you are going to play where there is no competition.. at least do it with some class.

Manpower....
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #227
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

shayne is a cherry picker, he doesnt play much defense and without him his team would be nothing at all. Yes he is the guy in cargo pants. i played him twice and after both games i talked to him and he said he wasnt trying... i dont get why you would play in a tier where you wouldnt have fun.... maybe he just wants the win?
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 AM   #228
My homepage has been set to RS

^ Probably playing with a bunch of friends...
Quote:
Originally posted by phatboyWhat about the 2nd period?
flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #229
RS Lurker, I don't post!

i've decided to chg my mind on shayne. i think i've been to harsh. he has actually inspired me. today i will heading down to the nearest playground and challenging every child to a meciless monkey bar fight then proceed to the closest elementary school basketball court and proceed to DUNK on some 10 yr olds. thank you shayne. i couldn't have done it without u.

love, azn_ice
azn_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #230
I don't get it

Quote:
One of my buddies played in this game. Check the score sheet...

http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/am/...gameid=1045610

I was one of the referees in this game. The game was fairly clean up to the point of the brawl when all hell broke loose. I did my very best to make sure that the several Chuck Norris players involved are banned for life from the VIHL. There is no room in rec hockey for this kind of gang beating. I've been a ref in this league for 4 years, and primarily work out of KM doing the upper tiers of Platinum, Gold, and Silver, and have never seen the kind of cowardice shown by Chuck Norris during this game. That said, while I don't agree with the actions of the Chuck Norris players, there are worse teams in the league in terms of cheapshots, rough/dirty play than them....well, one other team, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Pretty fucked that they would all clear the bench to go looking for fights. I still think the most screwed up team was the team that decided to storm the other teams locker room after the game. That was YR 1 of VIHL.

Something about "white guys not liking Asians being better at hockey than them" sure pisses them off. I had quite a few run ins at $$$$$$$$$ where they were calling us chinks. Then there's the refs...don't get me started on those racist officials.
I was involved in this game as well, but as a player for Squeaky Wheels. Basically the Young Guns had been undefeated up until they faced us. Near the end of a tied game, I had knocked their defenceman over and stolen the puck from him and sent our player on a breakaway for the game winning goal (think it was in overtime). My action of knocking the player over wasn't a penalty in my opinion, and in the referee's opinion, but the Young Guns took exception and attacked me from behind during our goal celebration. This was when things got out of hand, a brawl started but was eventually broken up. When I went to the dressingroom, the girlfriends of the Young Guns were standing outside of our dressingroom giving me an earful so I gave them an earful and continued into the dressing room. This is when the Young Guns came in and tried to start an off ice brawl, but luckily cops came, and nothing else happened. There was no racial talk at all during this confrontation so your comment of "white guys not liking Asians being better at hockey than them" is completely wrong. I was one of only two caucasian players on my team; a team full of asians!

Now I play in Silver 1 which has significantly less BS than the lower tiers. The way the refs are assigned to games is based on experience. The more experience you have, the higher tiered games you're forced to ref. Inexperienced and lower tiered refs are stuck reffing lower tiered games. I'm an experienced, north vancouver ref, so I ref primarily in North Van at KM. Unfortunately with the lack of refs in the VIHL, and the large number of new refs based out of Vancouver/Burnaby, it's hard for the league to schedule experienced refs for lower tiered teams just because most of the experienced refs are occupied with with the upper tiered teams. Plain and simple, you can't put an inexperienced ref in an upper tiered game.

Quote:
I had a question for you fellow VIHLers, do you find that the ref'ing has gone to shits this season, or is it just me? Missed calls, over-calls, refs being completely arrogant and just a lot of douchebaggery going on...anyone?
Depends on who is reffing your games. I've had my fair share of reffing with people who shouldn't be reffing. In my opinion there are only about 5 or 6 strong refs in the league, but most lower tiers will never get to see them. I can't speak for other refs, but for me, I don't care who wins a game, I don't keep track of score, I don't keep track of penalties during a game, I just call a game like I see it. I try to be as neutral and unbiased as I can be. There will be missed calls in games as this isn't the NHL with 4 officials on the floor, with instant replay, etc, and that's just the way it is. Your attitude towards the refs goes a long way though. If you act like an ass to me, I'm going to make sure I watch you when you're on the floor, especially if I've given you fair warning about something you're doing like light hooking or being overly aggressive, etc, and penalize you as you commit further infractions. You treat me with respect, and that will go a long way, but won't give you a get out of jail free card for any infractions you may commit. Games, especially playoff games where tempers are hot and games a little more aggressive are very hard on the refs. Refs don't want to interrupt the flow of the game, but you cross the line a little too far, and a penalty should be assessed.

Like I said, I can't speak for all refs, but I do know that they're probably trying very hard to call the game right and fairly. Experience is the limiting factor here for the lower tiers.

Last edited by ryan9939; 08-04-2009 at 01:52 PM.
ryan9939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #231
RS controls my life!

^^ I can completely appreciate your response to all the things being said here. I'm sure especially in the Platinum/Gold/Silver tiers the refs are good at what they do, but I play Bronze and half the games we play we only have 1 ref, and the game just goes to shit. I understand in 1 ref game situations that it's bloody difficult for them to make all the right calls, I just find their attitude completely blows. That being said, there are some good refs out there, the ones that actually explain why they made calls, and call the game fair. Hopefully in the next season or two we'll be able to get up into Silver, the game is probably much more enjoyable at the higher levels.
europeeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #232
I don't get it

Quote:
^^ I can completely appreciate your response to all the things being said here. I'm sure especially in the Platinum/Gold/Silver tiers the refs are good at what they do, but I play Bronze and half the games we play we only have 1 ref, and the game just goes to shit. I understand in 1 ref game situations that it's bloody difficult for them to make all the right calls, I just find their attitude completely blows. That being said, there are some good refs out there, the ones that actually explain why they made calls, and call the game fair. Hopefully in the next season or two we'll be able to get up into Silver, the game is probably much more enjoyable at the higher levels.
What team in Bronze are you on? The league tries hard to have 2 refs at each game, but some refs bail last minute and is very frustrating for many of the loyal/dedicated refs, and the scheduler. PM me the names of the refs that you find that their attitude blows, and I can comment on them on our year end peer review.
ryan9939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #233

just watched the baby bulls vs manpower and they shut down shayne quite nicely while number 51 on baby bulls got 3 goals 1 assist. 4-3 final score i believe. good game!

Last edited by Nvasion; 08-05-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #234
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan9939 View Post
There was no racial talk at all during this confrontation so your comment of "white guys not liking Asians being better at hockey than them" is completely wrong. I was one of only two caucasian players on my team; a team full of asians!
No, no. I never encountered racism in VIHL. I'm talking about the league that runs out of Langley sportsplex. I typed the league name in but it got censored for some reason.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #235
RS Lurker, I don't post!

baby bulls ...!
kidchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #236
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Street Sweepers....
best asian team in vihl? lol
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #237

i can see that lol
Old 08-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #238
RS Lurker, I don't post!

baby bulls are good
kidchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #239
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan9939 View Post
I was one of the referees in this game. The game was fairly clean up to the point of the brawl when all hell broke loose. I did my very best to make sure that the several Chuck Norris players involved are banned for life from the VIHL. There is no room in rec hockey for this kind of gang beating. I've been a ref in this league for 4 years, and primarily work out of KM doing the upper tiers of Platinum, Gold, and Silver, and have never seen the kind of cowardice shown by Chuck Norris during this game. That said, while I don't agree with the actions of the Chuck Norris players, there are worse teams in the league in terms of cheapshots, rough/dirty play than them....well, one other team, at least.

I was involved in this game as well, but as a player for Squeaky Wheels. Basically the Young Guns had been undefeated up until they faced us. Near the end of a tied game, I had knocked their defenceman over and stolen the puck from him and sent our player on a breakaway for the game winning goal (think it was in overtime). My action of knocking the player over wasn't a penalty in my opinion, and in the referee's opinion, but the Young Guns took exception and attacked me from behind during our goal celebration. This was when things got out of hand, a brawl started but was eventually broken up. When I went to the dressingroom, the girlfriends of the Young Guns were standing outside of our dressingroom giving me an earful so I gave them an earful and continued into the dressing room. This is when the Young Guns came in and tried to start an off ice brawl, but luckily cops came, and nothing else happened. There was no racial talk at all during this confrontation so your comment of "white guys not liking Asians being better at hockey than them" is completely wrong. I was one of only two caucasian players on my team; a team full of asians!

Now I play in Silver 1 which has significantly less BS than the lower tiers. The way the refs are assigned to games is based on experience. The more experience you have, the higher tiered games you're forced to ref. Inexperienced and lower tiered refs are stuck reffing lower tiered games. I'm an experienced, north vancouver ref, so I ref primarily in North Van at KM. Unfortunately with the lack of refs in the VIHL, and the large number of new refs based out of Vancouver/Burnaby, it's hard for the league to schedule experienced refs for lower tiered teams just because most of the experienced refs are occupied with with the upper tiered teams. Plain and simple, you can't put an inexperienced ref in an upper tiered game.

Depends on who is reffing your games. I've had my fair share of reffing with people who shouldn't be reffing. In my opinion there are only about 5 or 6 strong refs in the league, but most lower tiers will never get to see them. I can't speak for other refs, but for me, I don't care who wins a game, I don't keep track of score, I don't keep track of penalties during a game, I just call a game like I see it. I try to be as neutral and unbiased as I can be. There will be missed calls in games as this isn't the NHL with 4 officials on the floor, with instant replay, etc, and that's just the way it is. Your attitude towards the refs goes a long way though. If you act like an ass to me, I'm going to make sure I watch you when you're on the floor, especially if I've given you fair warning about something you're doing like light hooking or being overly aggressive, etc, and penalize you as you commit further infractions. You treat me with respect, and that will go a long way, but won't give you a get out of jail free card for any infractions you may commit. Games, especially playoff games where tempers are hot and games a little more aggressive are very hard on the refs. Refs don't want to interrupt the flow of the game, but you cross the line a little too far, and a penalty should be assessed.

Like I said, I can't speak for all refs, but I do know that they're probably trying very hard to call the game right and fairly. Experience is the limiting factor here for the lower tiers.
whoa whoa whoa Ryan, there are still some pretty good and experienced refs in the Vancouver/Burnaby tiers. There are less of them there but they do exist!!! It's harder to notice them because they're overshadowed by the large influx of new refs
Leykis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #240
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

We all know Gordo is the best ref in the VIHL.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #241
RS Lurker, I don't post!

GORDON SUCKS!
azn_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #242
I STILL don't get it

gordon is an awesome ref!
Xnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #243
Banned (ABWS)

So did u guys read the news article of that dude who got paralyzed?
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/F...175/story.html

Dude's a liar. No one tripped or nudged him like he said in the article. He was skating too fast and just slammed into the boards. No one was on top of him either. He thinks he's Steve Moore now LOL. Good job in bringing the news in trying to get some more pity from the public, asshole. Vancouver Sun probably paid them to publish the story.
C.Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Dub View Post
So did u guys read the news article of that dude who got paralyzed?
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/F...175/story.html

Dude's a liar. No one tripped or nudged him like he said in the article. He was skating too fast and just slammed into the boards. No one was on top of him either. He thinks he's Steve Moore now LOL. Good job in bringing the news in trying to get some more pity from the public, asshole. Vancouver Sun probably paid them to publish the story.
Is that what you saw happen?
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:22 AM   #245
Banned (ABWS)

thats what everyone saw in the game. ur on rub n tug u should know, one of ur teammates told us too

Last edited by C.Dub; 03-26-2010 at 04:33 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2010, 05:55 AM   #246

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
dude's paralyzed though, pretty sad
Old 03-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #247
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Dub View Post
I think you mean - they paid Vancouver Sun to publish the story.

Yes, it's pretty sad that he's paralyzed. However, if he did indeed lie, then that's pretty low too...

Edit: Ok, nobody here knows what REALLY happened, so I won't make any judgements.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 03-29-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #248
RS Lurker, I don't post!

haha

cdub u make me laugh at your ignorance.
why would vancouver sun pay someone for a story?

how could u be so sure what happened? i was there
guy fell right on top of him..

he even said sorry after it happened

think twice before you start runnin your mouth

and the whole point of the article was for the insurance bailing out.. gangsta school dont teech u how too reed?

Last edited by 604quado; 03-26-2010 at 11:45 AM.
604quado is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #249
Banned (ABWS)

^gangsta school didn't teach you how to spell?

insurance didn't bail. It's the guy's family started hiring a lawyer out of nowhere and it made the matters more complicated.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #250
RS Lurker, I don't post!

and u know this how? u talk like u know everything dude.. u just read the newspaper and run your mouth
but your opinion is yours
604quado is offline   Reply With Quote