REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 03-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

clarify this for me please..

I am unclear about this idea. I know phone companies for example rogers, will sell a phone for cheap and lock you in for 3 years on a plan. They make the money on your plan over the 3 years.

I know several people, including myself who have upgraded phones throughout our contracts whenever they release a nice new one. Only catch seems to be having to renew your plan and start over again...

so my question is this, is there a limit of how long you have to wait before you can 'upgrade' your phone? I was under the impression once you buy a phone you have to keep that one for 3 years. But it seems like you can just buy one anytime and just re-start your plan

I ask this because theoretically, can't you just buy for example, an iphone for $200 and start your plan again, and in 4 months say the BB storm comes out and you can 'upgrade' to that for $200 + renew plan. But you still like the iphone so you continute to use it, and sell the BB for what its worth, say $700. you make a profit of $500, and you do this everytime rogers releases a new phone...easy way to make money?

I know that this is not how it works, but I just dont see how. can someone clarify this

thanks
Advertisement
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
I is Romanian

HUP, 12 months for regular phones.

24 Months for smartphones w/ data plans(As of March 17th 2009)

Quote:
Update to HUP eligibility:

The updated HUP eligibility rule of 24 months minimum tenure since customer’s last upgrade or activation date will be system enforced and no exceptions will be allowed.

12 months eligibility tenure rule remains unchanged for voice-only customers upgrading to a data device.

12 months eligibility tenure rule remains unchanged for customers upgrading from a non-smartphone to a smartphone or data device.

All other standard HUP eligibility rules still apply.
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...rtphone-users/
avinayyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinayyar View Post
HUP, 12 months for regular phones.

24 Months for smartphones w/ data plans(As of March 17th 2009)

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...rtphone-users/
awesome! thanks for clarifying that for me makes alot of sense. I guess this is a new rule since smartphones relatively new. what does HUP stand for?
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
I is Romanian

Hardware Upgrade Program
avinayyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Depends on the carrier and what kind of retention policies they have, too... some will give you a better offer if you're a long-time customer or are good at negotiating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

just go thru the HUP, for fido is if ur in 2 years u have to finish 1.5 years before u can renew and for 3 years u have to finish 22 months.
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapssystupr3m3 View Post
just go thru the HUP, for fido is if ur in 2 years u have to finish 1.5 years before u can renew and for 3 years u have to finish 22 months.
6 month prior to a 2 year contract end date to renew
14 month prior to 3 years contract end date to renew (only through the phone)
4PPLE is offline   Reply With Quote