REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Audi R2

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...LC-Newsletters

Could this be the car that finally cements Audi’s reputation as the world’s greatest sports car manufacturer?

Not content with shaking up the automotive order among the likes of the Porsche 911 and Aston Martin V8 Vantage with its stunning R8, the company is now planning a new mid-engined model to take on the Porsche Boxster and Mercedes SLK.

The high-performance two-seater cabriolet is codenamed R2, and is being developed with VW. Audi’s sister firm is also believed to be putting the finishing touches to a production version of the BlueSport concept car revealed at the 2009 Detroit Motor Show.

The mid-engined R2 gets an all-new chassis and suspension derived from the MkV VW Golf. A four-wheel-drive variant is also a possibility, using a development of the Golf R32’s Haldex system. Plus, there are rumours that a hybrid – with electric power driving the front wheels – is planned, to help Audi reduce the CO2 emissions of its range.

The engine line-up is certain to include a mix of 2.0-litre four cylinder and 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbocharged petrol units. A diesel is under consideration, but it’s unlikely to be offered from launch. All models will offer a choice between six-speed manual and seven-ratio R tronic semi-automatic gearboxes.

Performance should be stunning, with power outputs ranging from 200bhp to a spectacular 380bhp. Top speed will be limited to 155mph, while the 0-60mph time is likely to drop below six seconds.

The R2 continues to develop Audi’s successful design theme as the tail-lamps of the new car will be sculpted to mimic the Q of its famous Quattro badge, just as they are on the R8.

A third rear brake light will sit above Audi’s badge, while the engine cover is to be kept free of aerodynamic extras. Instead, an underbody diffuser helps to improve the car’s stability at speed.

Inside, the high-quality cabin is likely to share much of its equipment with the BlueSport. That means an enormous touchscreen cabin control set-up, as well as lightweight sports seats.

In addition, a clever heating system inspired by the innovative ‘headscarf’ system offered in Mercedes’ SLK is integrated into the seatbacks.

The R2 also gets dramatic gaping side vents, designed to feed cold air to the powerplant, providing clues to the car’s mid-engine layout. Expect the baby R8 to be launched in 2012, with a starting price of around £30,000.
Advertisement
Black SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Hmmm VW roadster with a new front end... At least its better looking.
deviant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
R8
Buy/Sell rules violation; Zero Tolerance

looks so chic
R8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I like it! Just like I liked the VW
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001