REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
How I Mod your mother

Best tire shine?

What products do you use?
Advertisement
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...?T1=MEG+HOT+32
rsxxboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

I've ordered two gallons of a tire dressing called FK108. It's made by finish kare 1. They have a flat rate $4.99 shipping policy so it was a lot cheaper than I expected. I haven't been able to use it as it's been raining so I can't comment on durability. I've seen pictures of it and it gives a nice matte finish. Which is what I like, it looks very similar to Zaino Z16. From what I know this product has minimal sling. There are many products but it all depends what you are after. Whether it's durability, gloss, minimal sling, etc... A lot of people also like the Optimum Tire Gel. Make sure to pick up the gel and not the dressing.
BrendanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
How I Mod your mother

Hmm, I guess you cant get gloss, durability and minimal sling all in one package?
I guess I'd be after minimal sling and durability

I've heard armor all is good?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 03-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Are you looking for a product that you can buy at Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire, etc. Over a professional product. If you're looking for a wet looking gloss with good durability and minimal sling I would recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant. I personally haven't tried it but I've read what people say about it and it fits your category. PM 911Fanatic before you purchase anything though, he has tried lots of products and can give you a lot more advice than I can. Me personally I like the matte finish so I'm sticking with mine but a lot of people like the 303 stuff. It goes on just about anywhere you want dressed. Interiors, tires, trim, wheel wells, etc... But like I said PM 911Fanatic, he knows pretty much all there is to detailing. He may even have some dressings that you can get from him.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Forgot to mention, a ton of this is all prep related. Get some good All Purpose Cleaner and a tire brush to clean your tires first. That will go a long way in terms of sling/durability.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G7516
is what i use to use. i loved using it , never browned and gave a VERY VERY wet look.

currently using this but it doesn't last as long.
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerx View Post
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G7516
is what i use to use. i loved using it , never browned and gave a VERY VERY wet look.

currently using this but it doesn't last as long.
second link doesn't work, but a lot of people also like the Megs Endurance for an OTC product. I'd still recommend 303 over that though
Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
I've been using the Armour All Extreme Tire shine gel. I've used a few different brands, and the Armour All seems to last the longest, with the nicest shine. For $10 a bottle you can't go too wrong.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

The armor all browns tires real bad.

I've used the Zaino stuff, and it is good, but not super black. Meguires endurance gives a nice dark shine, for quite a while.

I'm looking at using one of these.

http://www.eshine.ca/chemical_guys_l...814.php?cat=14

http://www.eshine.ca/poorboys_bold_n...6_oz-1801s.php
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

I really like Blackfire Tire Gel and have recently started using Gloss-it Tire Gel and Poorboys Bold n'Bright. Both are very nice. No sling that I've noticed from any of them. Durability is good on the Blackfire. I can't comment on the other two as I've just started using them. Hope this helps.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
How I Mod your mother

Ken do you have blackfire tire gel in stock? I'd like to pick some up in time for the spring meet on sunday
Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Ken do you have blackfire tire gel in stock? I'd like to pick some up in time for the spring meet on sunday
He should, sounds like a good dressing
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
How I Mod your mother

xfactor: Whats a decent all purpose cleaner?
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

i just use turtle tire shine spray + sponge to applicate
I usuually apply 3 coats (going around the tires makes perfect timing for interval before coats) of this and it gives a good wet look. with sun, it stays on quite a while.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
What is meant by "sling"?

I usually just use the stuff we have at work.. Auto Magic "Blue Magic". It's REALLY shiney. I recently picked up some 303 Aerospace for my interior.. havn't tried it on my tires yet but I'll give that a try.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #17
How I Mod your mother

Sling refers to how much product will fly off your tires and onto your car while driving
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
What is meant by "sling"?

I usually just use the stuff we have at work.. Auto Magic "Blue Magic". It's REALLY shiney. I recently picked up some 303 Aerospace for my interior.. havn't tried it on my tires yet but I'll give that a try.
I don't know how good that stuff actually is. We use it at work as well and it smells awesome and gives a really wet look. Don't know about durability and sling.
Quote:
Sling refers to how much product will fly off your tires and onto your car while driving
+1, you'll see after you use some tire dressings that there is some greasy black stuff on your paint around the wheel wells. Thats sling
Quote:
xfactor: Whats a decent all purpose cleaner?
Locally I'm not sure what is available other than what Ken has. But whatever Ken stocks he has used and likes so I would PM him and see what he has. But I ordered 3 gallons of APC from a company called Majestic Solutions. It's called Super Green Stuff, so far I like it. I tried 2:1 on some brake dust caked wheels and it worked really well. I know he has some P21S Total Auto Wash which people love so give that a shot. But P21S isn't cheap. I'd look into buying in bulk if you want to give that a shot.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #19
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor78 View Post
I know he has some P21S Total Auto Wash which people love so give that a shot. But P21S isn't cheap. I'd look into buying in bulk if you want to give that a shot.
Ok so I just googled it quickly, looks like it would be a good product to use to clean the inside of my wheels
Quote:
Old 03-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Ok so I just googled it quickly, looks like it would be a good product to use to clean the inside of my wheels
Yup, P21S TAW is good for that, but P21S Wheel Gel is even better. Has better "dwel" time. Meaning it should stick on the rims better and not dry out on you as quick since it's a gel. I hope you have a good wheel brush as well. If not Ken has some or on properautocare they have a great package from Meguiars. It's Meguiars discontinued wheel brushes but they're great. I ordered one and their gold class wheel brush is awesome. Just tried it out and it fits into the tightest spots! Anyways, just msg Ken, he has everything you need. He'll take care of you, and you aren't to far from Maple Ridge so it should be all good.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #21
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I use meguiar's all purpose cleaner from their detailer line, can be diluted to whatever concentration you want.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eFx[A2C] View Post
I use meguiar's all purpose cleaner from their detailer line, can be diluted to whatever concentration you want.
thats a good APC many people like. I haven't tried it personally but it runs around $15/gallon on most sites. Majestic Solutions APC is $11/gallon. Just be careful with shipping. Majestic Solutions is a smaller company so they may not be able to give as great shipping prices. But they also don't jack up the prices. I know two detailers on another forum that swear by MS APC. It's called Majestic Solutions Super Green Stuff. I love it so far, it's great 3:1 and 2:1. I used it 2:1 today because my sisters rims were caked in brake dust. Anyways, both are great and will give similar results.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #23

prices for both are basically the same with shipping or what not. just a downside of meg's apc is the smell. apc+ supposedly smells nicer.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #24
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eFx[A2C] View Post
prices for both are basically the same with shipping or what not. just a downside of meg's apc is the smell. apc+ supposedly smells nicer.
It's not a good idea to inhale to much APC I'm sure but APC+ IS supposed to smell I think like oranges. That or citrus. Or you can just buy normal APC and put a fragrance of choice in there. Chemical Guys has some good fragrances.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #25

haha it's okay. what's really bad is wheel brightener, that stuff is nasty.