REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
RS Licensed Vendor

Problem with external HDD

Hey RS Comp guru's

I have a Nexstar 3 External Enclosure + 300GB Sata II HDD
Running a P5K mobo with E-Sata capabilities. It took me awhile to try and figure it out, but originally the E-sata was NOT working and the USB was working. Go great, format the HDD then everything should be good to go right? Wrong. Everytime I format the HDD, everything SEEMS fine. EVerything works the way it's suppose to, hotswapping and all. So I haven't turned on my External HDD for about a month, then last night I tried to turn it on while the comps on it froze my comp. So then I tried rebooting the comp with the External HDD on and it then detects the HDD in mycomputer but wont let me click it. It forces a reformat. So I reformat it and the same thing happens all over.

When I go to disk management, it says the HDD is in RAW format. So I keep reformatting in the NTFS format and everything is all good once I format. I can use the HDD and transfer stuff. But when I power off the external HDD and reboot the HDD shows up again as RAW format!

I can't figure it out for the life of me. Ideas anyone?

Thanks
Advertisement
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

are you connecting as esata or through USB 2?

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
RS Licensed Vendor

Esata.

No one else has responded, I'll safely assume this is not normal and beyond most techys knowledge.

I'm running Vista 64 if that helps too.

This is one troublesome OS.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If you want to troubleshoot the problem, rip the HD out and install it internal. That will eliminate half the possible problems. If it doesn't work then, you probably have a faulty HD.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
esata actually has quite a bit of problems....

my mobo has esata and i need to install like so many different drivers just so my seagate esata ext-hd to work
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi128 View Post
esata actually has quite a bit of problems....

my mobo has esata and i need to install like so many different drivers just so my seagate esata ext-hd to work
I think thats what it is. I ended up plugging in the HDD via USB and it works. All the files I had on there I can transfer back and forth. But when I plug it in VIA esata thats when shit gets all fucked.

That really sucks though. I purposely bought the more expensive enclosure for the esata capabilities too. Ugh.

Thanks guys. Any further feedback will be appreciated.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #7

i haven't been able to get esata to work for quite a while now - and I'm using one of those sata/usb2/esata controller cards. I've tried it out in XP and then with Vista, and its flaky. I can keep it running for maybe a week before it drops out and doesn't work anymore - same issue of finding that its in RAW mode. What i haven't tried is formatting the drive to FAT32 mode to see if that makes any difference.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
everytime I hotswap my HD into the esata port, it hangs everything even though I have ACHI and esata driver installed. Ending up I bought a Lan enclosure and call it a day.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
RS Licensed Vendor

That is uber gay.

Well looks like I write off the whole esata thing and just use it via USB.

Iceman what version of Vista are you running? 64bit?

I seem to be getting all these small issues with Vista 64. SD reader won't work on my vista 64. Even with all the newest updates. BUt the USB port on the reader works.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Old 03-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #10

Vista 32, and the esata is so flaky that its not funny anymore. I've tried on the desktop and my dell laptop, and its not stable enough to use everyday. I'm always afraid that I can't recover what i put on the drive, so I've dropped it entirely

This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman_2K View Post
Vista 32, and the esata is so flaky that its not funny anymore. I've tried on the desktop and my dell laptop, and its not stable enough to use everyday. I'm always afraid that I can't recover what i put on the drive, so I've dropped it entirely
Yeah I've given up on esata. I wish people mentioned this to me before I spent double on an enclosure for esata. DOH!

Anyways, thanks for the input. I've given up and just stuck it out using USB. It's not that slow I guess.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #12

well, its either USB2 or a LAN enclosure. How much is portability an issue to you? For me, I have a LAN enclosure from Buffalo that does the job - all it does is act like NAS. I don't ever take it off or turn it off. I have a few 250-320 usb drives for moving things around, but thats about it.