REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Where to get a boost gauge installed?

I'm looking for a cheap place to install a boost gauge in my car. I've gotten prices up to like $150 for the installation from RPI and PG.

That's not what I'm looking at for pricing. More or less $50-$80.

Any shops that I can call?
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Why not just install it yourself?

I can install mine in under 10 seconds. Albeit I just run the vac line through the driver window for testing.

Obviously routing it through a hole in the firewall will take a bit longer.

My point - its not hard, and certainly not worth 150$.
Corey Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I don't know how to install it. I have instructions on how to do it but don't have any experience with an engine.

If it's that easy, I'm sure someone on rev would be willing to sell their time to me and install this gauge.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Ya its pretty straight forward. What kind of car is it?

On mine, the vac line I Tee into is in plain sight right by the Firewall and it goes to the stock Boost pressure sensor.

Once you've picked an appropriate line, its just a matter of finding a suitable hole in the firewall which you can route the included plastic hard-vac line through.

Some cars usually have spare holes which are blocked off with rubber caps. Or you can try to feed it through the same hole as the engine harness.

At that point, you need to pick a place to mount the gauge.

Also, i didnt consider this, but you would probably want to set up the back-lighting in the gauge too. This is where you might actually pay someone to do it for you once you've installed the easy stuff.

Personally, I choose not to run a permanent aftermarket gauge. I just do the quick 10second install and run it through my window for diagnostic purposes. Then I take it back out.
Corey Darling is offline   Reply With Quote