REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Waxing a new car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/569677-waxing-new-car.html)

1990TSI 03-25-2009 10:28 PM

Waxing a new car

Do new cars come pretty well detailed?

just wondering if there's any point of throwing a good coat of wax on a car with 2K kms on it. The rain beads off the paint as if it's waxed, but I always liked the look of a washed and waxed car(a 200k km old car)

just wondering if there's any point of waxing it now or should I just wait a while. If I can bring any more shine out of the paint I want to do it!

Thanks gurus!

BrendanS 03-25-2009 10:48 PM

You would be surprised how bad the condition is of most new cars. A lot of cars spend a lot of the time on the lot and are periodically washed with a broom by the dealerships. Since they spend lots of time on the lot, there is probably a lot of contaminants stuck on the paint. The best thing to do for a new car is probably a good clay and then give it a couple coats of wax. If you're buying a new car from a dealership, tell them not to wash it. It's best to do it yourself knowing that you can trust yourself more than the dealership lot boys.

threezero 03-25-2009 11:02 PM

what if its like an ordered one that you know just got off the ship and probably sat in the lot for max 1 week by the time you pick it up?

BrendanS 03-25-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 6348502)
what if its like an ordered one that you know just got off the ship and probably sat in the lot for max 1 week by the time you pick it up?

I don't know but I still wouldn't let the dealership touch it. I enjoy detailing and dealerships just make a bigger mess so I would just do it myself. Plus the wax dealerships use I'm sure aren't quality. Pick up a bottle of Werkstat Carnuba Jet. Super easy to apply and lasts for a long time! Great wax at an awesome price. Don't flame me for this haha but here:
http://autowerkesexclusive.com/produ...ett/index.html
Like I said I like to DIY when it comes to detailing, because I trust myself over a dealership detailer any day.

smoothie. 03-26-2009 12:51 AM

as ive been on both ends of the situation

if youre happy with it as is. leave it.

when their waxes, sealants and hopefully not glazes wear off, thats when you get it done right.

if youve already wiped down the car with denatured alcohol + water mix and dont notice glazed over paint damage, enjoy it while it lasts

Xander 03-26-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1990TSI (Post 6348417)
Do new cars come pretty well detailed?

just wondering if there's any point of throwing a good coat of wax on a car with 2K kms on it. The rain beads off the paint as if it's waxed, but I always liked the look of a washed and waxed car(a 200k km old car)

just wondering if there's any point of waxing it now or should I just wait a while. If I can bring any more shine out of the paint I want to do it!

Thanks gurus!

Keep in mind that healthy paint will bead regardless if waxed or unwaxed. I would say that with a brand new car you definitely want to start our right, and give it a good base, almost like preventative maintenance.

And yes, never let the dealer touch your car.

!Yaminashi 03-26-2009 11:07 AM

Since spring is here why not get a good detail going anyway? That way you know your paint will be problem free instead of wondering whether or not you should wax

Plus, you win either way. You learn how to detail properly, and you have that piece of mind knowing your paint is flawless and protected

911fanatic 03-26-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1990TSI (Post 6348417)

Thanks gurus!

Even a brand new car will look better after a coat of wax. Werkstat Acrylic Jett and Carnauba Jett are spray on, wipe off products that are very easy to use. You could put a coat of either on you car in 30-40 minutes and they can be layered after only waiting 30 minutes. Two coats of AJ will last 4+ months and 2 coats of the CJ will last 3+months.

racerman88 03-26-2009 12:36 PM

is this wax available locally?

!Yaminashi 03-26-2009 12:41 PM

I believe 911fanatic carries it

BrendanS 03-26-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racerman88 (Post 6349350)
is this wax available locally?

look at my link

Fafine 03-26-2009 08:28 PM

are detailing products cheaper in teh states like at walmart? i was thinking about heading down there to pick up some detailing protects and was wondering anyone have any recommendation as to whats the best to pick up- im looking into a spray wax and claybars

BrendanS 03-26-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyvious (Post 6350088)
are detailing products cheaper in teh states like at walmart? i was thinking about heading down there to pick up some detailing protects and was wondering anyone have any recommendation as to whats the best to pick up- im looking into a spray wax and claybars

Before yes, but now with exchange rates and all, not really. Are you looking for an over the counter (Wal-Mart) product, or proffesional product that will give better results? For claybars just pick up one from Canadian Tire, I have the Megs one with the shitty MF towel and Quick Detailer. It worked well, I like my riccardo clay bar a lot better though. You can pick up riccardo from eshine.ca, Not many other places carry it. For wax I would highly Werkstat Carnuba Trigger. Gives amazing results and easy as hell to apply.
http://autowerkesexclusive.com/produ...ett/index.html

Really cheap as well, that bottle should last you a long time, you don't need to use much product when applying.

Fafine 03-26-2009 08:51 PM

nice thanks for the quick reply is there a closer place where i can pick up the werkstat carnuba? maple ridge is hella far lol

911fanatic 03-26-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyvious (Post 6350124)
nice thanks for the quick reply is there a closer place where i can pick up the werkstat carnuba? maple ridge is hella far lol

Check out my site at autowerkesexclusive.com. If thats all you want I'll see what I can save you on shipping. Just pm me before ordering. Should only be $7-8 to you with two day delivery. And no, I'm the only place in Canada that has it.

BrendanS 03-26-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyvious (Post 6350124)

where abouts are you, I'm in south east vancouver in the fraserview area and when my dad and I went is was only a 40-45minute drive. It wasn't to bad. It's easy to find as well, it's all mostly highway. But Ken does ship, and shipping will won't be expensive as the bottle of wax weighs nothing and we're close. But I don't know of any other place in Canada for a fact that has Jeff's Werkstat products. I think Ken owns rights to it... so that would be a no haha

BrendanS 03-26-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911fanatic (Post 6350149)
Check out my site at autowerkesexclusive.com. If thats all you want I'll see what I can save you on shipping. Just pm me before ordering. Should only be $7-8 to you with two day delivery. And no, I'm the only place in Canada that has it.

damn you beat me:p

So yeah that confirms it, only Ken has it in Canada. I don't even think there are places in the US that have it. If there are not many at all.

Fafine 03-26-2009 09:25 PM

well 45min drive aint too bad maybe ill do it on a sunny day as a cruise ill definitely contact you 911fan when im about to purchase the wax thanks!

BrendanS 03-26-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyvious (Post 6350192)
well 45min drive aint too bad maybe ill do it on a sunny day as a cruise ill definitely contact you 911fan when im about to purchase the wax thanks!

no it's definitely worth it. That and Ken can show you what else he has or teach you a few tips and tricks if you go there and pick it up rather than just buying online.

Truenosan 04-05-2009 06:44 PM

If you bought a brand new car, I would recommend waiting a while.

It is possible your "brand" new car has been slightly damaged before by people moving it. If that was the case, it could have been painted without you knowing (as long as the damage is under $2000, they don't need to claim it)

I used to deal with dealership cars, and a lot come in with very minor damage, but did require some spot painting.

Waxing a newly painted surface isn't good as the clear is still curing and waxing it would just seal everything.

BrendanS 04-05-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenosan (Post 6366351)
If you bought a brand new car, I would recommend waiting a while.

It is possible your "brand" new car has been slightly damaged before by people moving it. If that was the case, it could have been painted without you knowing (as long as the damage is under $2000, they don't need to claim it)

I used to deal with dealership cars, and a lot come in with very minor damage, but did require some spot painting.

Waxing a newly painted surface isn't good as the clear is still curing and waxing it would just seal everything.

very good point, if you do wax a new car ask to see if there was any other painting done to it other than factory work. New paint needs to cure properly before waxed

911fanatic 04-05-2009 08:41 PM

Most manufacturers have body shops at the port of entry as any bodywork repaired before the vehicle hits the dealer doesn't have to be declared. Truenosan is right. Any body work/paint should have about 30 days to cure before paint.

!Aznboi128 04-05-2009 11:11 PM

Is there a place I can take my car to wash + wax and maybe even claybar .... with out charging me and arm and a leg

snowball 04-06-2009 01:24 AM

^

DIY

soap costs $10
clay costs $30

that's $40 for about 50 car washes and periodic clays, any place you go to will already charge you more than that

Truenosan 04-08-2009 12:26 AM

Cars are also sometimes damaged at the dealership. It happens quite a bit.

Dealer calls you, needs car fixed asap because it has been sold. Usually, the damage is only a few hundred dollars, so it obviously isn't claimed.