REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
Review: Big Al's Soulfood

I got the fried chicken

Juicy

And the Shrimp Fettuccini

7/10

Prices were a bit too high for what we were actually eating, and it was under Bental 4, in a bar where the gym was. Kinda wtf location...but Boonies is in a curling rink in Cloverdale. However, thier cornbread is also 100x better.
Advertisement
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
exactly where is the location?
Vansterdam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

http://bigalsoulfood.com/southernsoulfoodcajunbuffet

From visiting the website, it sounds like the night to really try this place out is Fridays 5-8PM. They run a buffet for $21.95 that includes everything I want to try.

I make regular visits to Boonie's BBQ and Soul Food in Cloverdale so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Looks good but prices seem high compared to Boonies. That chicken sure looks tasty though!
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Banned (BBM)

ya bentall 4 is fairly close to where i work

but price is a little bit high, was hoping to be around $6-7 for an everyday/2nd day thing
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #6

I went there this past Friday and found out they stopped doing their buffet a few weeks ago due to low turnout. I can understand because this place was seriously hard to find. To go there, you have to go downstairs to the fitness area under Bentall 4 and in between two fitness rooms is the tiny Big Al's location.

Tried the Jambalaya which was the spiciest I've had in my life. I couldn't finish it because my mouth was burning so much. I liked the Jambalaya at Dadeos much better (now closed). On the plus side, the hot link sausage used in it was really good.

My co-taster got the Fettuccini. I don't think there was anything special about this dish, kind of bland, or perhaps my taste buds were burnt off from that Jambalaya. I noticed Volvoman's fettuccini earlier in this thread had a side of cornbread, while this one came with a dinner roll, rather disappointing. I also found it odd that this fettucini came with both halves of the dinner roll, while my jambalaya only had one half of a roll.

I'm debating going back to try his "Famous" ribs, but I don't feel like getting ripped off again for mediocre food.

Overall I feel like this place has no draw, and is completely out of place in downtown Vancouver. They need some promotion and to polish up the food some more, otherwise I could see Big Al's disappearing in a year or two.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Big Al's sucks.

Boonie's FTW.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
boonies is shut down.

And that was going to be my last bad meal in a while
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
HELP ME PLS!!!

it's shutdown TEMPORARILY. It'll be back in June.

You know why I know Big Al sucks? they've been relocated 4 times in the last 10 years. I've went there once when they were at the 1st and rupert location, ordered their jambalaya, and never went back again.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

RS MEET FOR BOONIE'S REOPENING!!!
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #11

Wow I can't believe Boonie's has such a big following. The RS Boonie's thread was full of ppl saying how awesome it looks but don't want to bother driving to Cloverdale lol. I've been a Boonie's fan for over a year and can't wait for his new location in Langley.