REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
painted grill durability

i'm not sure if this is the right forum to post. I'm looking to paint my grill (its plastic) glossy black, the bodyshop told me its not a good idea because even if they sanded it down and paint it the grills isn't meant to be painted like that and its going to be easily chip by flying debris and once chipped the paint will peel off.

I see shitload of cars on the street with black out grill, do they get it repainted once every year of something or is the bodyshop exaggerating/full of shit?
Advertisement
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
try using something called plastidip.

http://www.plastidip.com/

i learned about this on volkswagen message boards just recently. the vw guys seem to use it a lot to black out chrome or fascia stuff to either murder it out or cut down on damage from road crap.

i haven't started looking into it but from what little i've read home depot might have the basic colors like black.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
try using something called plastidip.

http://www.plastidip.com/

i learned about this on volkswagen message boards just recently. the vw guys seem to use it a lot to black out chrome or fascia stuff to either murder it out or cut down on damage from road crap.

i haven't started looking into it but from what little i've read home depot might have the basic colors like black.
does that give a glossy finish or matte? diy painting is not sumthing i'm comfortable with.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Home Hardware is so far the only place I've found plasti-dip. It was around $15 a can.

I think it gives a matte finish from the pictures I've seen around.
ZordosZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Witness protection

i would really suggest that you buy a used grille and black that one out and keep your stock one intact... you can mess the used one up until u get it right with no worries.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
i would really suggest that you buy a used grille and black that one out and keep your stock one intact... you can mess the used one up until u get it right with no worries.
there is not used grill for my car yet i'm pretty sure. I'm considering this now because my car need to be in the bodyshop anyways because of a minor fender bender thanks to richmond si lai. I also want it to be a glossy finish. Is there any truth to what the bodyshop said?

I see lots of benz around with black out oem grills are those diy matte black as well?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Witness protection

perhaps talk to the guys at SR/bismark... they might know more. maybe there is an aftermarket grille for your car (i don't know what u drive, especially since u say used parts are rare).
Old 03-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Krylon for plastic. It's the bomb.
Black SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #9

Quote:
perhaps talk to the guys at SR/bismark... they might know more. maybe there is an aftermarket grille for your car (i don't know what u drive, especially since u say used parts are rare).

second gen fx35 there is like 0 aftermarket part for this gen except for lowering springs and filter. the grill and the silver side vents are the only part that i hate abt the OEM look.

I'm going to go get a second opinion at bismark tmml.

the bodyshop boss told me the bumper is plastic, the grill also being plastic shouldn't it react the same way as the bumper to being painted??
Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
Witness protection

i think bismark is only open 1/2 day on saturday. and SR might be busy with their autoshow presentation, so call ahead.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Vinyl it.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Last edited by bootymac; 08-17-2023 at 11:09 AM.
bootymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #13
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

it should be fine. i've done it all... hand-sprayed, body shop, model paint on plastic, metal surfaces...
dk_wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

the bodyshop does have SOME truth.. but honestly, just sand it down, get some good quality primer.. and use Krylon. if it does chip ( rocks and stff) just get a tooth pick and dot it.. it should not be a big chip.. OR as impactX said.. vinyl LOL
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #15

can vinyl create glossy surface?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #16
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
can vinyl create glossy surface?
There are high gloss finish vinyl available and if it still isn't glossy enough you can add a glossy finish laminate to protect it from UV and maybe rock chips. Does your grille have some complex curves, if that is the case I would just say to paint it.
ZordosZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
My plastic grill is professionally painted and had stood up fairly well, only the odd rock chip - and I drove it in Ottawa's winter, road salt and sand flying everywhere!

Stop being so anal, its a car, drive it, if it chips, learn to use touch up paint.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #18
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Bump from the dead, don't wanna start a new thread but need some input.

I have these window rain visors that I plan to stick on the window frame on the door. However it's chrome and looks butt ugly with the visors. I was going to plastidip the chrome trim (that way I can go back to stock) then stick my visors on.

Now I'm wondering, will the plastidip be strong enough and stay on with double sided tape and window visors hanging on? Anyone try this before?
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I spray bombed the entire front fascia that was plastic on my old car. I didn't use fancy plastic only primers or paint...straight up touch up spray from canadian tire...it was fine. I did get some chips, and the paint was softer than factory, but it held up better than expected, especially considering it was that low to the ground. There were some rock chips, and such but considering that I did the whole thing for maybe $20...I was happy.

In fact, I used the same paint from CTC on the front grill for my truck, so we'll see how it goes.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
The plastidip will be fine, just give it proper time to dry before applying the tape and visors(a couple days should be good).
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #21
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've painted the chrome grille in my 2011 Edge Limited body color over a year ago. It's held up really well. (It does have a few chips, but so does the bumper - i've put on 30K since painting) I also painted all of the lower cladding too.

Try Boyd Autobody on Bridgeport - ask for Jeff
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
^^that looks really good. Subtle change.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
+1 for vinyl. I wrapped my chrome grill in vinyl and I had one small rock chip on it after a year and a half that wasn't even noticeable. Cost like $15 to buy the vinyl and an hours worth of work if not less. It's glossy and you can see your reflection but it'll be kind of a hazed reflection, and definitely not as reflective as paint. It's a lot cheaper than paint, around the same price as plastidip but looks a lot better imo

You can kind of see the clouds in the reflection, but not as clearly as on the hood

EDIT: Oops.. didn't notice someone bumped this thread from the dead lol. To answer your question;
Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk
Bump from the dead, don't wanna start a new thread but need some input.

I have these window rain visors that I plan to stick on the window frame on the door. However it's chrome and looks butt ugly with the visors. I was going to plastidip the chrome trim (that way I can go back to stock) then stick my visors on.

Now I'm wondering, will the plastidip be strong enough and stay on with double sided tape and window visors hanging on? Anyone try this before?
Don't do that. Plastidip isn't very strong at all, and with the weight of the visors + the wind that blows against it during everyday driving it might just rip and cause your visors to fly off. Not to mention it'll only take theives a second to effortlessly rip off the visors from your car if it's just taped onto plastidip. If you really want to try, spray something with plastidip and let it dry. Tape an object on there and then see how easy it is to rip off. I double sided taped this little module on the inside of my dash that was plastidipped and after a few weeks the weight of the module (which wasn't very heavy at all) just ripped the plastidip and fell off

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR

Last edited by Limitless; 07-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
The plastidip will be fine, just give it proper time to dry before applying the tape and visors(a couple days should be good).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
+1 for vinyl. I wrapped my chrome grill in vinyl and I had one small rock chip on it after a year and a half that wasn't even noticeable. Cost like $15 to buy the vinyl and an hours worth of work if not less. It's glossy and you can see your reflection but it'll be kind of a hazed reflection, and definitely not as reflective as paint. It's a lot cheaper than paint, around the same price as plastidip but looks a lot better imo

You can kind of see the clouds in the reflection, but not as clearly as on the hood

EDIT: Oops.. didn't notice someone bumped this thread from the dead lol. To answer your question;

Don't do that. Plastidip isn't very strong at all, and with the weight of the visors + the wind that blows against it during everyday driving it might just rip and cause your visors to fly off. Not to mention it'll only take theives a second to effortlessly rip off the visors from your car if it's just taped onto plastidip. If you really want to try, spray something with plastidip and let it dry. Tape an object on there and then see how easy it is to rip off. I double sided taped this little module on the inside of my dash that was plastidipped and after a few weeks the weight of the module (which wasn't very heavy at all) just ripped the plastidip and fell off
Thanks for the input guys, I'll probably mask the areas that will have double sided tape and plastidip the chrome exposed areas. Thanks gaizzzzz
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #25
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
That's a good idea lol. If you can, peel off the tape right after you spray the last coat of plastidip on while it's still wet. If you do that then the tape should come right off easily and you'll have a clean line. If you wait for the plastidip to dry before peeling it off, you may peel off part of the unmasked part of the plastidip then you'll have to redo it or have a choppy line

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: