REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Dumbells vs. Barbell (https://www.revscene.net/forums/569996-dumbells-vs-barbell.html)

Berzerker 03-28-2009 10:00 AM

Dumbells vs. Barbell

What do you think is better for building mass and strength?

Berz out.

RRxtar 03-28-2009 10:18 AM

i think barbell because you can put significantly more power into it since you arent working as hard to keep it up and ballanced.

SkinnyPupp 03-28-2009 10:20 AM

Depends on the exercise.

RayBot 03-28-2009 11:50 AM

Barbell is better for your stability, so other muscles that control your stability will also be developed at the same time.

If you do bench presses with dumbells and a barbell, you'll totally feel the difference. With dumbells, it will focus directly with the muscle group, i guess in this case, your chest. When you do the exact same weights but with a barbell, you'll also feel your muscles in your back and sides doing work while you're trying to balance the barbell perfectly.

At least this what i have noticed.

SkinnyPupp 03-28-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6352535)
Barbell is better for your stability, so other muscles that control your stability will also be developed at the same time.

If you do bench presses with dumbells and a barbell, you'll totally feel the difference. With dumbells, it will focus directly with the muscle group, i guess in this case, your chest. When you do the exact same weights but with a barbell, you'll also feel your muscles in your back and sides doing work while you're trying to balance the barbell perfectly.

At least this what i have noticed.

I think you're getting the two mixed up

RayBot 03-28-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6352565)
I think you're getting the two mixed up

I don't think i got the two mixed up...well, i hope not at least. I find it more challenging forcing my arms to be completely level with a dumbell than pressing two identical weights on each arm....but thats probably just me. Especially when the weights are really far off to your sides as well.

JSilver 03-28-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6352614)
I don't think i got the two mixed up...well, i hope not at least. I find it more challenging forcing my arms to be completely level with a dumbell than pressing two identical weights on each arm....but thats probably just me. Especially when the weights are really far off to your sides as well.

I don't know, I get the opposite. I find it more difficult pressing a barbell to be leveled on each arm than when I press with dumbbells.

Everyone's different though.

diesel_test 03-28-2009 02:23 PM

definately barbell for size and strength.

Sid Vicious 03-28-2009 03:04 PM

Barbell > dumbbells in almost every conceivable way
the strength gains from barbell cleans, barbell bench, and barbell squat are superior to dumbbells

however, i do like certain dumbbell presses with one arm to work the weaker arm

RRxtar 03-28-2009 05:13 PM

i do 27* incline dumbell presses and flat barbell bench press

i do 85* dumbell shoulder presses and 70* barbell shoulder presses

civicyvr 03-28-2009 06:03 PM

Barbell better for mass and strength.

Dumbells better for stabilizers, ROM, and core.

GL

Berzerker 03-28-2009 07:30 PM

I find that using dumbells gives me a way better burn and I can really rep out with them (I dont always have a spotter) I also find it easier to "cheat" using a barbell as you can recruit other muscles to help push up.

I actually haven't benched heavy with a Barbell in a long time......

Berz out.

jakobi 03-28-2009 08:58 PM

either one can add mass or strength...

hal0g0dv2 03-28-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6352962)
I find that using dumbells gives me a way better burn and I can really rep out with them (I dont always have a spotter) I also find it easier to "cheat" using a barbell as you can recruit other muscles to help push up.

Berz out.

ya people cheat with there back all the time, like arch it big time. also i love when people bounce the weight off there chest. anyone can do a ton of weight by bouncing it off there chest

BlackV62K2 03-29-2009 01:21 AM

I've mainly done dumbell presses for chest since I've started working out. I might have done the barbell a handful of times. I find the barbell more uncomfortable for some reason. Plus I workout alone so the dumbell is more safe since I can drop the weights on the side.

My dumbell press is currently @ 100s (200 combined).

SkinnyPupp 03-29-2009 01:35 AM

Dammit I need a better gym, dumbells only go up to 75 lbs at home :(

hal0g0dv2 03-29-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6353336)
Dammit I need a better gym, dumbells only go up to 75 lbs at home :(

you workout at home ? is it hard to get motivated

SkinnyPupp 03-29-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halogodv2 (Post 6353521)
you workout at home ? is it hard to get motivated

Not literally at home, just a small gym at the clubhouse where I live. It's not hard to get motivated at all, because it takes me 5 minutes to prepare and get down to the gym every other day.

Granted, I have been getting like 4-6 hours of sleep all week, so haven't been there since last Wednesday :(

racerman88 03-29-2009 08:32 AM

dumbells will work your stabilzer muscles as well, comes to personal preference

civicyvr 03-29-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6352962)

Berz out.

Well, if it works for your situation then cool.

In general, barbells are better for strenght/mass due to the fact you don't have to worry about stabilizing the weight as much as dumbells and you can cheat if you want to use heavier weight.

It would be good to switch it up though unless you have an injury.

Wagonized 03-29-2009 09:32 PM

different people respond differently to each exercise.

for me personally i gain strength and mass much more quickly when I use dumbells for my pressing movements. But Im a fairly strong guy and unfortunately most gyms dont have heavy enough dumbells for me to go into the low rep range that I need to. So I switch to barbell for my heavy sets.

its all about trial and error and what you personally respond best to.

diesel_test 03-30-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 (Post 6353320)
I've mainly done dumbell presses for chest since I've started working out. I might have done the barbell a handful of times. I find the barbell more uncomfortable for some reason. Plus I workout alone so the dumbell is more safe since I can drop the weights on the side.

My dumbell press is currently @ 100s (200 combined).

holy crap man. how much do you bench press?

I bench 2 plates each side in the 8-10 rep range without a spotter. For dumbells, i do 85's.

hal0g0dv2 03-30-2009 09:00 PM

i did dumbell bench press tonight and my shoulders kill for some reason

kAzE- 03-30-2009 09:17 PM

barbell: because you can put more weight on a barbell then on a dumbell.

JSilver 03-30-2009 10:20 PM

^ Lol...