REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Bar end mirrors on motorcycles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/570026-bar-end-mirrors-motorcycles.html)

stevo911_ 03-28-2009 05:16 PM

Bar end mirrors on motorcycles

I'm doing the Vancouver Island Safety Council motorcycle course right now and we got on the subject of how crummy motorcycle mirrors are (though they give you an awefully nice view of your shoulders and elbows). I was wondering on the legality of removing factory mirrors and adding some smaller convex bar-end mirrors. I know lots of people do it but that doesnt mean its legal.

skidmark 03-28-2009 05:31 PM

The rules on mirrors require that they give you an undistorted view. I guess you need a flat one on the left, but most vehicles I've checked have a convex mirror on the right.

I guess this is one of those cases where our MVAR has failed to keep up with the times...

stevo911_ 03-28-2009 06:31 PM

cool, thanks skidmark, even non convex bar end mirrors would likely be considerably more effective than the stock mirrors as far as giving me a good view without having to contort on a moving motorcycle :)

impactX 03-29-2009 04:04 AM

Stock mirrors on mine are fine... it's best if you can remember your surroundings, eg: what cars are disappearing from your mirror and getting into your blindspot, etc.

racerman88 03-29-2009 09:41 AM

isn't that why we shoulder check?

stevo911_ 03-29-2009 12:56 PM

some bikes are deffinately better than others, and I do my best to memorise everything around me, it would just make life alot simpler with something that I can see past myself without having to move around so much. I've tried to get in the habbit of checking my mirrors every couple seconds (just quick glances) and i always shoulder check when lane changing or anything like that, i just like to easily be able to keep an eye on all the idiots out there

johny 03-29-2009 01:16 PM

since when do cars come up behind bikes? :p you don't need mirrors if you're driving it correctly :D

zulutango 03-30-2009 08:08 AM

Mirrors show you what you can see...shoulder checks show you what you can't see!. You're probably too young to know this, but bar end mirrors used to be all the rage on Brit bikes back in the 50's and 60's. See them occasionally at old bike shows. They are making somewhat of a comeback, along with the old "puddin' basin" helmets and goggles.

stevo911_ 03-30-2009 05:04 PM

as cool as the pudding basin helmets and goggles are, i think i'll stick with a quality full face :p
I have a couple friends on the mainland who ride late 60's triumph bonnevilles with the bar end mirrors (been trying to convince them to get the helmets and goggles to match)