REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
B&S Sexy mod

Bar end mirrors on motorcycles

I'm doing the Vancouver Island Safety Council motorcycle course right now and we got on the subject of how crummy motorcycle mirrors are (though they give you an awefully nice view of your shoulders and elbows). I was wondering on the legality of removing factory mirrors and adding some smaller convex bar-end mirrors. I know lots of people do it but that doesnt mean its legal.
Advertisement
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

The rules on mirrors require that they give you an undistorted view. I guess you need a flat one on the left, but most vehicles I've checked have a convex mirror on the right.

I guess this is one of those cases where our MVAR has failed to keep up with the times...

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
B&S Sexy mod

cool, thanks skidmark, even non convex bar end mirrors would likely be considerably more effective than the stock mirrors as far as giving me a good view without having to contort on a moving motorcycle
Old 03-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Stock mirrors on mine are fine... it's best if you can remember your surroundings, eg: what cars are disappearing from your mirror and getting into your blindspot, etc.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

isn't that why we shoulder check?

FS www.list4all.com/racerboy88
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
B&S Sexy mod

some bikes are deffinately better than others, and I do my best to memorise everything around me, it would just make life alot simpler with something that I can see past myself without having to move around so much. I've tried to get in the habbit of checking my mirrors every couple seconds (just quick glances) and i always shoulder check when lane changing or anything like that, i just like to easily be able to keep an eye on all the idiots out there
Old 03-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

since when do cars come up behind bikes? you don't need mirrors if you're driving it correctly
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Mirrors show you what you can see...shoulder checks show you what you can't see!. You're probably too young to know this, but bar end mirrors used to be all the rage on Brit bikes back in the 50's and 60's. See them occasionally at old bike shows. They are making somewhat of a comeback, along with the old "puddin' basin" helmets and goggles.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
B&S Sexy mod

as cool as the pudding basin helmets and goggles are, i think i'll stick with a quality full face
I have a couple friends on the mainland who ride late 60's triumph bonnevilles with the bar end mirrors (been trying to convince them to get the helmets and goggles to match)