REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Retired Super Fast Mustang Moderator

Is there anywhere local that sells "euro" lens headlights ? (example inside)

I want some of these for my 4x4 cherokee: http://cgi.ebay.ca/79-01-JEEP-CHEROK...742.m153.l1262

Basically it's 200mm "sealed beam" style housing except that you can take out the bulbs. It's a euro lens so it has a sharp cutoff compared to a DOT light which means I can run brighter lights without blinding drivers.

Anyone know of a place I could grab some before I bid online ?
Advertisement
jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
You mean E-Code spec'ed lights? If you don't mind fabricating a mount that's specific to your Jeep, try asking on West Coast Fieros. I think they run the same size sealed headlight and often upgrade to E-Codes.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Lordco does. At least they can get it in for Miatas (7" Hella euro "e-code" housings).

Overseas Auto (sponsor member here) says he can get it in as well.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The only problem I see here is that all but one of them exceed the max 70 watts permitted in North America. Anything brighter does not comply with that restriction and therefore cannot be legally sold here...BC uses the national standard of 70 watts max output. That is why they are telling you they are twice as bright...because they are twice as bright as the 55 watt normal bulbs.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
^ It's not because of the wattage. Compared to sealed beams of the same wattage, aftermarket e-code housings are inherently brighter. Sealed beams just completely suck balls.

The one on ebay comes stock with 60/55w bulbs. You can pay extra for higher wattage bulbs (if you do, you'd better upgrade the wires so they don't melt), but they come stock with 55w bulbs.

Also for the price on ebay, you could spend less than $10 more and get real hellas at rallylights.com.

If you can get a hookup at lordco, their price isn't too much more expensive than ordering online.
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #6

Well, I upgraded my harness, put in HID's and projector housings. Hahaha what a mistake. I'll start a new thread in this forum with pics. I have some fixing to do now.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
The only problem I see here is that all but one of them exceed the max 70 watts permitted in North America. Anything brighter does not comply with that restriction and therefore cannot be legally sold here...BC uses the national standard of 70 watts max output. That is why they are telling you they are twice as bright...because they are twice as bright as the 55 watt normal bulbs.
No e-codes are legal for road use here. They have a different spec than the DOT/SAE lenses. However, they're also a better pattern that interferes with oncoming traffic less.