REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 03-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Help with Street Racing Report

Hey Guys hopefully some of you can help me out with a report I'm writing on street racing in the capital region. I'm going to primarily focus on how street racing is becoming a growing problem in Victoria - though I don't feel that way personally.

Regardless, my sources are gonna be mostly from the TC, Victoria News, and Saanich News articles. I'm also gonna interview a police officer and get his views on the topic.

If anyone has anything I can add, or general ideas for the topic, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guy.
Advertisement
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
it all comes back to marketing... smoke and mirrors..
fast and furious, faster cars being produced

or something like that!
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #3

^ And overnight parts from Japan if I have to. I'm sure Harry's can supply them for me.

Anyways thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

why dont you focus on a serious problem, like drinking and driving?
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
why dont you focus on a serious problem, like drinking and driving?
Ohhh don't worry thats going to be included. I'm going to compare the two, and question why street racing has more penalties than D&D'ing even though more deaths are associated with alcohol.

Anyways I'm about to go down to the cop-shop and see if I can get an interview with an officer.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
dustinb

How big of a project is this? You could talk to the SISLRA (drag racing @ western), and see if membership has declined / grown, and see if it correlates with the # of street racing tickets given. Maybe also look into growing # of cars on the road = the inability to speed as much, and there might be a link then to people street racing to get their need for speed, rather then just an open road (which is hard to come by).

Anyways, good luck with the report.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Ohhh don't worry thats going to be included. I'm going to compare the two, and question why street racing has more penalties than D&D'ing even though more deaths are associated with alcohol.
i assume street racing is more news-worthy because it gets peoples attention, whereas drinking and driving is "normal" news... sad.

anyways, it seems that your goal is not to be sensationalist, which is a nice change from local papers.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
u could proabably find stats for when before the L and N learners stages and afterwards and see how good that program is working.
Try to find the correlation between movies (fast and furious) games (GTA, gran turismo etc.) and see what the numbers were before these titles were out and afterwards.
Maybe find a direct correlation between when these movies hit theaters, if the number of street racing incidents increase??

talk to the cops, read reports and news briefs and try to find some common demographics in the street races. i.e. Age, vehicles, time of day, location...

See if anti-street racing and drunk driving in youth programs are working. Like when cops go and talk to highschool kids and warn them about the dangers of drinking and driving and street racing and they bring a trashed car to the school to show off. If there has been less occurances since these programs were introduced?
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post

Anyways I'm about to go down to the cop-shop and see if I can get an interview with an officer.
Genius!
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

i hardly ever see anyone "street racing" anymore. kind of weird actually.

a couple of years ago it was a lot more prominent. i think the F&F craze is winding down.
Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
Ask Freddy.

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote