REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Obama Ousts GM Boss, Chrysler Given 30 Days to Complete Partnership with Fiat

Quote:
Obama ousts GM boss
Chrysler given 30 days to complete partnership with Fiat

PHILIP ELLIOTT

Associated Press

March 30, 2009 at 1:01 AM EDT

WASHINGTON — — The White House says neither General Motors [GM-N]nor Chrysler submitted acceptable plans to receive more bailout money, setting the stage for a crisis in Detroit and putting in motion what could be the final two months of two American auto giants.

U.S. President Barack Obama and his top advisers have determined that neither company is viable and that taxpayers will not spend untold billions more to keep the pair of auto makers open forever. In a last-ditch effort, the administration gave each company a brief deadline to try one last time to convince Washington it is worth saving, said senior administration officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to more bluntly discuss the decision.

Mr. Obama was set to make the announcement at 11 a.m. Monday in the White House's foyer.

In an interview with CBS' Face the Nation broadcast Sunday, Mr. Obama said the companies must do more to receive additional financial aid from the government.
GM chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner is resigning from his post at the request of the Obama administration. William Thomas Cain/Getty Images
Enlarge Image

GM chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner is resigning from his post at the request of the Obama administration. (William Thomas Cain/Getty Images)
General Motors

"We think we can have a successful U.S. auto industry. But it's got to be one that's realistically designed to weather this storm and to emerge — at the other end — much more lean, mean and competitive than it currently is," Mr. Obama said.

Frustrated administration officials said Chrysler cannot function as an independent company under its current plan. They have given Chrysler a 30-day window to complete a proposed partnership with Italian auto maker Fiat SpA, and will offer up to $6-billion (U.S.) to the companies if they can negotiate a deal before time runs out.

If a Chrysler-Fiat union cannot be completed, Washington plans to walk away, leave Chrysler destined for a complete sell-off. No other money is available.

Shawn Morgan, a Chrysler spokeswoman, said the company wants to work with the Treasury Department and Mr. Obama's auto task force but declined to comment on the White House's plans.

"With the administration's announcement on the restructuring of the automotive industry imminent, it would be inappropriate to comment on speculation," Ms. Morgan said in a statement early Monday morning.

For GM, the administration offered 60 days of operating money to restructure. A frantic top-to-bottom effort began Sunday after CEO Rick Wagoner resigned under pressure from the White House.

Fritz Henderson, GM's president and chief operating officer, became the new CEO, a Treasury Department source said. Board member Kent Kresa, the former chairman and CEO of defence contractor Northrop Grumman Corp., will be interim chairman of the GM board.

One official said a majority of the GM board was expected to step down.

Obama advisers saw public outrage come to an ugly head in recent weeks, as populist anger escalated over bonuses paid to American International Group executives. They realized Americans are frustrated with the economy and its business leaders; they also said they would not invest one dollar more than was necessary to keep the companies alive and would walk away if it looked impossible.

Officials said GM had not made good on promises made in exchange for $13.4-billion in government loans, although there are no plans to call in those loans.

Administration officials still believe GM's chances are good, given its global brand and its research potential. Officials say they are confident GM can put together a plan that will keep production lines moving in the coming years. They planned to send a team to Detroit to help with that restructuring.

Chrysler, meanwhile, has survived on $4-billion in federal aid during this economic downturn and the worst decline in auto sales in 27 years.

In progress reports filed with the government in February, GM asked for $16.6-billion more and Chrysler wanted $5-billion more. The White House balked and instead started a countdown clock.

Administration officials acknowledged the short turnaround time was harsh; one described it as a nanosecond in a business cycle.

Two people familiar with the plan said officials will demand further sacrifices from the auto makers and bankruptcy would still be possible if the auto makers failed to restructure. Those officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to make details public.

Administration officials said they hoped large-scale bankruptcy could be avoided, especially if it might be stretched over many years. Any efforts to use the bankruptcy courts would have to be targeted and aggressive and must not prolong a restructuring process, they said.

GM and Chrysler, which employ about 140,000 workers in the U.S., faced a Tuesday deadline to submit completed restructuring plans, but neither company was expected to finish its work. The White House's plan renders them, as well as a potential discussion about the companies' borrowed money, moot.

GM owes roughly $28-billion to bondholders. Chrysler owes about $7-billion in first- and second-term debt, mainly to banks. GM owes about $20-billion to its retiree health care trust, while Chrysler owes $10.6-billion.

An exasperated administration official noted that the companies had not done enough to reduce debt; in some cases, it actually increased during this restructuring and review process.

In February, GM said it intended to cut 47,000 jobs around the globe, or almost 20 per cent of its work force, close hundreds of dealerships and focus on four core brands — Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC and Buick.

In an effort to bolster consumer confidence, Mr. Obama planned to announce government backing of warranties for GM and Chrysler vehicles. An administration official said there is no price tag yet associated with that promise.

Aides note that Mr. Obama inherited the auto mess from his predecessor, George W. Bush.

Under the terms of a loan agreement reached during the last administration, GM and Chrysler are pushing the United Auto Workers to accept shares of stock in exchange for half of the payments into a union-run trust fund for retiree health care. They also want labour costs from the union to be competitive with Japanese auto makers with U.S. operations.

Little progress has been made between the companies and the union.
http://business.theglobeandmail.com/.../Business/home
Advertisement

Last edited by Kang19; 03-29-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Kang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
oh snap I totally called it when Senate said no bail back like 4 months ago?

Now just wait for those $5000 brand new Neons after the close down.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I prey for the day we see the new Camaros priced under $20,000 lol.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Should the prez be addressed as President Obama instead of "Mr. Obama"?
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
Should the prez be addressed as President Obama instead of "Mr. Obama"?

No. Allow me to show you why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJ7TrqwdZo
Kang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

hahhahahahaha are you serious?!

PRESIDENT!
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

what's the point of having a cheap msrp corvette if there won't be any parts for replacement
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
what's the point of having a cheap msrp corvette if there won't be any parts for replacement
Sigh.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Sigh +1..
Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Atlas Shrugged?
Jason00S2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #11

Yo lemme get my phone, lemme get my phone!!! PRESIDENT

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Guess this was close enough when posted back in Feb
Chairman Kaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Laid off Chevy dealership employees fight each other and confront camera crew.

http://www.truveo.com/Laid-Off-Worke.../id/2127471589

Police were called twice to the dealership due to employees fighting.
time_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'll probably be the last person in the world to buy a 300C, but it's sad to see automakers die.

Maybe this will be a good thing in the long run. If they go bankrupt, they can finally cut their union ties and their dealership obligations and start over.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
In an effort to bolster consumer confidence, Mr. Obama planned to announce government backing of warranties for GM and Chrysler vehicles. An administration official said there is no price tag yet associated with that promise.
I wonder what this will mean in Canada if it turns to the worst.
KinseySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

would love to pick up a corvette at liquidation prices. cmon gm, fail me like youve failed me for years.
Synaptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason00S2000 View Post
Atlas Shrugged?
Certainly feels like we’re living through that scenario doesn't it.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #18
Rs has made me the man i am today!

seems like the demise of GM and Chrysler is inevitable.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #19
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinseySS View Post
I wonder what this will mean in Canada if it turns to the worst.
I was actually just wondering this as well. How will warranties work outside of the USA?
Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

I seriously don't get...
wouldn't there be no replacement parts if the company goes bankrupt??

I mean.. I don't mind picking up a sports sedan at super cheap price, but what is the point if there's no parts
Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
I seriously don't get...

I mean.. I don't mind picking up a sports sedan at super cheap price, but what is the point if there's no parts
So i'm a company like Magna International, and I see that these automakers are done, now how should an auto parts manufacture capitalize on this situation? How about we make oem replacement parts and sell sell sell.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
Head Moderator

Quote:
I seriously don't get...

When you call up Lordco for a replacement axle, new rotors, distributor, and almost everything else, you're not getting an OEM part. When you get your windshield replaced at Kirmac, you're likely not getting an OEM part. When you order a new fender online for your Civic, chances are.... well, you can see where I'm headed, no?

Chrysler itself doesn't make the parts of a car... it's all outsourced to various companies to make it for them. Just because a car no longer exists, it doesn't mean replacement parts will magically disappear. Look at the old Beetle... there are millions of NOS (new old stock) parts lying around warehouses. You can literally build a car that's been out of production for ten years by calling up various suppliers and getting new OEM or aftermarket OE parts.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
When you call up Lordco for a replacement axle, new rotors, distributor, and almost everything else, you're not getting an OEM part. When you get your windshield replaced at Kirmac, you're likely not getting an OEM part. When you order a new fender online for your Civic, chances are.... well, you can see where I'm headed, no?

Chrysler itself doesn't make the parts of a car... it's all outsourced to various companies to make it for them. Just because a car no longer exists, it doesn't mean replacement parts will magically disappear. Look at the old Beetle... there are millions of NOS (new old stock) parts lying around warehouses. You can literally build a car that's been out of production for ten years by calling up various suppliers and getting new OEM or aftermarket OE parts.
well written..

thanks..

haha.. i should go on their websites and check out which car i want to buy at a cheap price
Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

i wouldnt mind a corvette if they do go under

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
i wouldnt mind a corvette if they do go under
haha.. i was thinking of the exact same thing, but on a second thought the gas and insurance aren't going to be friendly