REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning

Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning This forum is brought to you by Racing Greed in Port Coquitlam.
Supercharger vs Turbocharger vs NA? Hondata vs Megasquirt? 94oct vs 87oct? Through technical discussion, let's find out what will the best option for you...

Old 04-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Sleeving/Block Guarding

Hey guys, searched around for some answers but the threads I found were like 5 years old. And back then people weren't too trust worthy of local shops and their experiences with sleeving.

Wondering aside from sending out my block (B18C) to Cali, is there any where local that has gained the experience in sleeving or installing block guards?

Thanks guys.
Advertisement
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
I don't get it

http://www.alecsautomotive.com/ They also sleeve B18 and H22 Honda blocks. Click on the Pictures and you'll see.
BoySupra604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
There are alot of us with well built motors that got them sleeved. However none locally. If your gonna spend the coin to do sleeving send it to the pro's. As for block guard... don't bother. Sleeve yes... Block guard NO.

Berz out.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
While you can try taking it to a place like the Lordco Machine shop, your best bet at finding a good, local shop that does resleeving is to call up some local Hot Rod shops and ask where they do their work. A couple shops to try are Jellybean Hotrods (604.594.6800), Hot Rod Corner (604.576.0518) or Big Al's Rod Shop (604.617.4650). Most of their customers demand perfection when it comes to restoring their classic or muscle car, so you can bet they'll know some local shops that do excellent work.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Corny FTW!! MOD

Send the motor to Golden Eagle and call it a day.

Sponsored by:
Soundsgood

For all your car audio needs!
#3-910 Tupper Avenue
Coquitlam, BC V3K 1A5
Shop: 604-961-8626
www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday, 9:00 to 6:00
FeistyBearH22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
There are alot of us with well built motors that got them sleeved. However none locally. If your gonna spend the coin to do sleeving send it to the pro's. As for block guard... don't bother. Sleeve yes... Block guard NO.

Berz out.
Thats what I was thinking. I mean I've lurked and seen quite a few of you guys build up your motors.

I figured that was the case that locally no one would be completely pro at it. However I just figure I'd give it a shot since shipping is killer on a block to Cali.

I'll probably give the shops mentioned a call to see their experiences with this stuff anyways just to see.

Why do you say no to block guards? Weaker? Bad experience?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Block guards are known to do more harm than good. If your going to crack a sleeve due to high boost or high horsepower a blockguard isn't going to help. The honda sleeves don't really "swim" as much as people think so keeping them aligned with a guard that if installed poorly tends to ovulate the sleeve isn't worth the risk.

I have Darton sleeves in mine Golden Eagle as Feisty mentioned also does great work. Its just not worth dealing with someone locally and risking the sleeves sinking or something IMO most of fast guys all agree on this.

Berz out.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #8

Hmmm make sense. Pay good money to do it right the first time.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #9
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

http://www.actionmachine.com/

located in Shoreline Wa, they did 3 honda blocks for guys on the island and did an excellent job. They installed the darton mid sleeves into a H22a, B18a, and D16Y7.

one of the best machine shop experiences ive had with these guys. you wont be disappointed.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

nobody on here mentioned high performance engines? I'v got some work done there and they do good work. I didn't get them to sleeve my block but they did one of my old heads before. Good guys over there.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
nobody on here mentioned high performance engines? I'v got some work done there and they do good work. I didn't get them to sleeve my block but they did one of my old heads before. Good guys over there.
+1 for high performance engines. I know they resleeve there with darton. Excellent work, excellent customer service.
A-Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Just send it out for sleeving, no one locally does a better job than anyone down there.
k20a is offline   Reply With Quote