REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 04-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Where to buy GM / Penzoil / AC Delco Synchromesh ?

and How much do they usually cost??

my 3rd gear is slightly grinding @ 4k - 5k rpm

so I would like to flush all the fluid with the new synchromesh with friction modifier
Advertisement
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

gm dealer or lordco
wacko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Can't answer your original question but as an alternative if you want a transmission fluid with friction modifiers, you can also try Redline 75W90. Do not get the 75W90NS - NS meaning non-slip according to Redline which translates to "without friction modifiers."

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

i got my synchromesh from dueck GM, i think it was $10 a bottle. i couldn't find the friction modified stuff and the parts guys had no idea what i was talking about. i had the AC delco part number for the FM too. oh well, i'll be rebuilding my transmission once i get off my ass
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
I don't get it

You can get them through GM dealers for the GM label or Lordco for the AC Delco label. You can expect to wait for the GM stuff because it's not a stocking item while Lordco usually has some stock scattered throughout the lower mainland. They are one and the same, and expect the guy at the parts counter to not know what you're talking about. The part number for the AC stuff should be 10953509. An old bottle of the GM label shows the part number 12377916. Either way the guy at the counter should be able to track it down for you. And don't waste your money on the non-fm stuff.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I actually just bought some today. Just called up my local GM dealer and gave them the part number. About $12 I think per bottle.

ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified - Part # 12377916
Brian604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
the redline stuff's good. molyslip makes a good additive as well. comes in a tube and you only need one
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

how is the non FM stuff vs. FM? i'm running the regular stuff and it works except for downshifting quickly into 3rd. my biggest issue was the 5th gear grind, which i can't feel after putting the regular synchromesh in. if the FM oil is much better, i might switch to that.
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
ek1
Need to Seek Professional Help

i just saw your thread and i was also looking for this stuff so i found the part# for the GM synchromesh FM which was part #12377916 which has now changed to #10953509. i located my closest GM dealer which happend to be CARTER GM on lougheed across brentwood mall and the guy told me its $14/bottle. So what i suggest to OP to do is find the closest GM dealer to you call the parts department and tell them the part #.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmak View Post
how is the non FM stuff vs. FM? i'm running the regular stuff and it works except for downshifting quickly into 3rd. my biggest issue was the 5th gear grind, which i can't feel after putting the regular synchromesh in. if the FM oil is much better, i might switch to that.
There's a noticeable difference in shift quality, and the FM stuff's magic lasts considerably longer.
JL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmak View Post
You should really consult your factory manual whether or not your transmission uses friction modifiers or not. You can't just put any kind of transmission fluid in there.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 04-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #12
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
my prelude tranny loved the syncromesh redline shockproof mix... looked nasty, but tranny shifts felt nice...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
JP
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I've tried pennzoil syncromesh and also royal purple syncromax. I think they are listed at $12 and $18 in lordco respectively. I believe you can find the pennzoil one in the richmond lordco and the royal purple at the bby kingsway lordco.

The shift quality improved quite a bit initially, but after a period of time (< 6 months) it seems to go back to normal.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
There is Synchromesh regular, and Synchromesh Friction Modified. The FM stuff is the good stuff.

They only have the AC Delco Friction Modified stuff at Dueck on Marine for like $12 a quart. There's no GM-branded version in Canada.
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I've tried pennzoil syncromesh and also royal purple syncromax. I think they are listed at $12 and $18 in lordco respectively. I believe you can find the pennzoil one in the richmond lordco and the royal purple at the bby kingsway lordco.

The shift quality improved quite a bit initially, but after a period of time (< 6 months) it seems to go back to normal.
I noticed this in my MR2. I'm going to flush it out and go back to Redline instead.