REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
When to change brake pads?

I think my brake pads are almost gone. How do I tell when to change them? There're ~12k km on them, and they are still the original pads from the stealershit.
Today the brakes felt pretty weak, and I had to press pretty hard on the pedal to stop, but there were still power.

Which RS sponser has the cheapest pricing for pad changes?
Advertisement
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
"press hard on the pedal to stop" would suggest something other than brake pad. Since your car is an 08, I would take it to the dealership to get it looked at.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 286
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strange that they felt "weak." Perhaps you should bleed them when you change your pads. Pads are cheap - labor is expensive. Pad swaps and bleeding is easy but shops charge a lot to do it. Bring it in if you don't feel comfortable doing it though as it is critical. Being on 08 doesn't really say much about pad wear. Some cars like the older G35 sedan rip through pads and rotors like there's no tomorrow. Your driving habits also play in it a lot.

But back to pad wear. Many calipers have a "window" that allows you to see how thick your pads are. 2mm to 3mm is getting pretty thin so I'd think about replacing if it's down to this. Most pads also have a "wear" indicator that looks like an angled cut on the edge of your pad. Wearing down to this level usually results in squeaky brakes. Another sign to change. Hope this helps.
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
"press hard on the pedal to stop" would suggest something other than brake pad. Since your car is an 08, I would take it to the dealership to get it looked at.
hm.. i think i should clarrify that a bit

"press hard on the pedal to stop" means i have to press down a lot more than what i did before, and even when pressed down all the way the brakes don't seem like they are stopping the car as hard as before.


car is 08, but i got it in 07.... so it's quite old and perhaps time for a pad change??
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apharmdb View Post
Strange that they felt "weak." Perhaps you should bleed them when you change your pads. Pads are cheap - labor is expensive. Pad swaps and bleeding is easy but shops charge a lot to do it. Bring it in if you don't feel comfortable doing it though as it is critical. Being on 08 doesn't really say much about pad wear. Some cars like the older G35 sedan rip through pads and rotors like there's no tomorrow. Your driving habits also play in it a lot.

But back to pad wear. Many calipers have a "window" that allows you to see how thick your pads are. 2mm to 3mm is getting pretty thin so I'd think about replacing if it's down to this. Most pads also have a "wear" indicator that looks like an angled cut on the edge of your pad. Wearing down to this level usually results in squeaky brakes. Another sign to change. Hope this helps.
I dont have a ramp for my car so I don't know how I can check the wear indicator.. In saying this, it also means I won't be able to do the pad change myseself, and not to mention I am a total noob..

any cheap/reasonable RS sponsor?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
slammer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,627
Thanked 273 Times in 90 Posts
It's probably not the pads. Most cars I know last easily 50000km per set.

Weak braking sounds more like contaminated fluid.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
chwks13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wack
Posts: 309
Thanked 12 Times in 3 Posts
most new cars' front brakes will last at least 20,000.
chwks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 286
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Again depends on how you drive, what compounds you use, etc. Lots of factors here. A buddy of mine goes through pads about 13K miles. He does a lot of spirited drives and his car is known to be hard on brakes. Brake pad wear / how long they last isn't something you can generalize.
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
RS controls my life!
 
civicyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: yvr
Posts: 732
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Go to those brake places like Speedy for free brake inspection if you don't want to take it to the stealership.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
you seen my pie live!
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
It's probably not the pads. Most cars I know last easily 50000km per set.

Weak braking sounds more like contaminated fluid.
hm.. maybe.. how do i check?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicyvr View Post
Go to those brake places like Speedy for free brake inspection if you don't want to take it to the stealership.
ya.. i'll probably have to do that.. but i want to have an idea of what might be wrong before i go to those places..
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
hm.. i think i should clarrify that a bit

"press hard on the pedal to stop" means i have to press down a lot more than what i did before, and even when pressed down all the way the brakes don't seem like they are stopping the car as hard as before.


car is 08, but i got it in 07.... so it's quite old and perhaps time for a pad change??
oh.. and when i meant the car doesn't brake brake as hard as before, it means even when i floor the brake pedal, ABS doesn't come on.

I'm already noticing a longer braking distance.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 286
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if you can't activate the ABS then there is definitely a problem, particularly with the longer braking distance. Bring it to a shop ASAP.
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apharmdb View Post
Well if you can't activate the ABS then there is definitely a problem, particularly with the longer braking distance. Bring it to a shop ASAP.
ya.. i was thinking of the same thing, hence i posted this thread..

but seriously.. i don't think those fast brake-change places would be able to diagnose the problem and they probably just a bunch of high school kids..
so i was wondering if any of RS's sponsors would be able to do the job cheaply. the job of finding out if there's anything wrong with my brakes and fixing them if there is
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
On Acura website they say your car is covered for 5years or 100k km.. unless you are over just take it to the dealership.

Why not use things that you had paid for already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
hm.. i think i should clarrify that a bit

"press hard on the pedal to stop" means i have to press down a lot more than what i did before, and even when pressed down all the way the brakes don't seem like they are stopping the car as hard as before.


car is 08, but i got it in 07.... so it's quite old and perhaps time for a pad change??
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
On Acura website they say your car is covered for 5years or 100k km.. unless you are over just take it to the dealership.

Why not use things that you had paid for already?
i was thinking of it, but what if it was just the brake pads wearing down..
then wouldn't i have to pay them for the time they spend diagnosing the brakes just to find out that it is the brakes? But on the other hand, if there was an actual problem with the brakes, then it would be a good idea.

BTW, can i bring in my car to any acura dealership? or does it have to be from the one i bought it from?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: N49.2 W122.1
Posts: 6,176
Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You can bring your car to any acura dealership.. the only thing you have to check is if you car is imported from the States... then read the warranty agreement.

If the brake pad is gone and needs changing, it would have tripped on a brake pad change light on the dash (usually).. refer to your manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
i was thinking of it, but what if it was just the brake pads wearing down..
then wouldn't i have to pay them for the time they spend diagnosing the brakes just to find out that it is the brakes? But on the other hand, if there was an actual problem with the brakes, then it would be a good idea.

BTW, can i bring in my car to any acura dealership? or does it have to be from the one i bought it from?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
 
Konvict's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Langley
Posts: 373
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
my brakes are squeeking alot..but the pads dont look liek they are worn.. maybe the fluid needs changing too
__________________
Veilside Widebody 350Z- SOLD:(
Konvict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
Head Moderator
 
Lomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1982
Location: Great White Nor
Posts: 22,648
Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
ya.. i was thinking of the same thing, hence i posted this thread..

but seriously.. i don't think those fast brake-change places would be able to diagnose the problem and they probably just a bunch of high school kids..
so i was wondering if any of RS's sponsors would be able to do the job cheaply. the job of finding out if there's anything wrong with my brakes and fixing them if there is
Wasn't aware there were any "fast brake change places." Shops like Speedy and Budget are perfectly fine to go to. They have licenced technicians doing their work, unless it's an apprentice... which, frankly, is the exact same as a dealership.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Wasn't aware there were any "fast brake change places." Shops like Speedy and Budget are perfectly fine to go to. They have licenced technicians doing their work, unless it's an apprentice... which, frankly, is the exact same as a dealership.
hm.. so let me get this straight..
the cheapest route for me is to bring my car into an acura dealershit to find out what's wrong with the brakes. Then I should drive my car to speedy, budget, or etc. to change the brake pads if that is the problem.

is this correct?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)
 
orange7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MacLeod
Posts: 7,298
Thanked 542 Times in 289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konvict View Post
my brakes are squeeking alot..but the pads dont look liek they are worn.. maybe the fluid needs changing too
my brakes squeek for a bit too when i just start my car from a cold start
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bowen Island
Posts: 1,605
Thanked 525 Times in 148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
I dont have a ramp for my car so I don't know how I can check the wear indicator.. In saying this, it also means I won't be able to do the pad change myseself, and not to mention I am a total noob..

any cheap/reasonable RS sponsor?
You don't need a ramp.
Loosen the nuts on the wheel.
Jack up the car using any jack or the one in the tool kit
Take off the wheel to expose the brake/caliper assembly.
Locate the Caliper (the metal clamp that sits over the brake rotor.
Look at the top of the Caliper, and there should be a hollow window that allows you to see the edge of the Rotor and the brake pads.
That should give you an idea!
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #23
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 286
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just take your car to Garage 5 in Richmond. They will be able to sort it out for you. And their labor rates are reasonable.
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #24
RS controls my life!
 
civicyvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: yvr
Posts: 732
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Wasn't aware there were any "fast brake change places." Shops like Speedy and Budget are perfectly fine to go to. They have licenced technicians doing their work, unless it's an apprentice... which, frankly, is the exact same as a dealership.
Like what Lomac and I have said, just take it in and see. Free is good, no?

Do you want to wait and see before you kill yourself our somebody else?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
you seen my pie live!
straight up nasty right right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyZ32 View Post
Thats because you end up getting creepy pie like mine that makes you not want to eat it hha ...thats why its cheap ...
civicyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #25
RS.net Licensed Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,808
Thanked 155 Times in 137 Posts
we can help with deals on brake pads and also better quality ones
__________________
Overseas Auto

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031


Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday


We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net