REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
How I Mod your mother

Repainting questions

Ok so my driver's side was repainted and it looks good, however should I still be able to see where it was keyed?

Basically I can still see a line where the initial key marks were but only at certain angles
Is this normal? Or was the job not very well done?
Advertisement
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla

Last edited by !Yaminashi; 04-08-2009 at 08:06 PM.
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
retired

Do you mean you can actually still physically see where the key line was? If so, I don't think it was done right as you shouldn't be able to.

If it was repaired/prepped properly, you won't be able to see a line, at most, you might see where it was feathered out, but that shouldn't be visible either.

Try taking it back to the shop and explain it to the manager/boss. Do so in a proper way of course.

If that doesn't work, you can always contact your ICBC adjuster (if it was an ICBC claim, and I remember you saying it was?)

Go from there.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
How I Mod your mother

^Well I can definitely see something there. The surface itself is smooth so there's no indentation of any sort, its hard to explain, but I could see it from certain angles. But yes, when I did see it, I could clearly see where the key marks were.

I tried looking under an LED flashlight after it got d ark but didnt see anything. The hard part is going to be trying to show the shop and/or ICBC. Especially if the weather doesnt cooperate.

I actually dont have an ICBC adjuster as they said I qualified for direct service, so I took it straight to the shop and they dealt with everything for me.

But from what you're saying I shouldnt be able to see anything, so it sounds like it wasnt done right.
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla

Last edited by !Yaminashi; 04-08-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
retired

Try using a halogen light on it, that will usually expose quite a bit.

It's hard to say without actually seeing it, but just voice your concern to the shop. Are they an ICBC express/valet shop?
Old 04-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenosan View Post
Try using a halogen light on it, that will usually expose quite a bit.

It's hard to say without actually seeing it, but just voice your concern to the shop. Are they an ICBC express/valet shop?
Yep, they're an icbc express shop. I'll try heading over there today.
Its visible enough for me to point it out during the day

Update: So I called them and voiced my concern, so they admitted that I shouldnt be able to see it.
I have to take it in on Monday
Quote:

Last edited by !Yaminashi; 04-09-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
How I Mod your mother

Ok update again: So I had to go to Broco autoglass on Thursday and the shop that I took my car for my vandalism claim happens to be right nearby so I head down there, they take a look at the car and they know what Im talking about.

They say its called "paint sink." So anyway they wet sand and polish the side again and the marks seem to be gone.

However I bring up another issue with them. I have several of these little goosebump type things randomly on the driver's side; a couple on the driver's door, and a few others on the rear door and quarter panel

Anybody know what these are? They told me its the clear coat curing and they should go away after a couple washes, but I dont believe this..

Also this is what my car looks like after all this:

My car is swirled to hell and it has bumps. Should I get them to repaint it?
Quote:
Old 04-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
retired

If the paint is sinking, they didn't do a good job of prepping it as something is reacting.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
How I Mod your mother

So far after I took it back for a 2nd time, everything seems to be ok. The key marks arent visible anymore but I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks

However there are still small bumps in a few places. I'd rather pay someone to take care of it properly than to take it back to New West Collision. It seems as though this is as good as it will get

A good detail will get the rest of the imperfections/swirls out
Quote: