REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Pending charges and crossing the border

Is it possible to cross the border with pending charges?

I mean I havent been convicted yet, still awaiting court but I want to go to the

states... its an assault charge.
Advertisement
Jlumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Not 100% sure, so I would call ahead just to confirm if they will before you drive all the way down there. US Customs and Border Protection is pretty strict and if they think you are undesirable they won't let you in.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I've had a record for a long time as well as pending charges and never been turned back. That being said though... they COULD if they wanted to. If your going over with friends make sure you have bus fair if they don't let you over lol.

Berz out.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
Im no expert but I thought when someone had pending charges or was released on a PTA they could not leave the province or they would be in breach of their conditions??? or is this a condition that is only placed on certain individuals???
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
You can do whatever you want as long as the judge has not put down as a condition of bail.

Berz out.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

The only condition or bail condition I had was not to contact the plaintiff. I just got back from China and HK, Thailand and I went there without any problems. However I know the states are a bit strict. I hear once they turn you back, you will always be turned back so I don't know if I should take the chance.
Jlumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I've had a number of friends with various legal issues in the pasts, with varying results crossing the border. The main thing with US Customs is, always be completely straight with them, answer their questions exactly, and don't volunteer any more than they ask for. Their questions can vary in subtle ways, think about what they're asking, and answer directly. They can ask whether you've ever been arrested, charged, or convicted - answer appropriately.

If you've been arrested but had the charges dropped, then the answer to "have you ever been charged/convicted" is a simple "no". If they ask whether you've been arrested, just say straight up, "yes, but the charges were dropped". No need to elaborate unless they ask for more details.

Remember, they probably already know the answers to most of what they're asking you... if you're straight with them and don't contradict any info they already have, they're just as likely to let you through in spite of past indiscretions (well, as long as there are no criminal convictions).

If you say no to something as simple as "have you ever been detained", and they happen to know that you HAVE been detained in the past, there's a good chance they'll turn your ass right back around - just remember that they have ALL the power in the situation, and treat them accordingly, and you'll generally get along just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Like Police who have taken interview & interrogation training, there are subtle clues to the truth and to lies. The new show "Lie to me" can give you an idea of what we look for when asking questions.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote