REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Xvid to Divx?

I have some .avi videos that are encoded with Xvid
Is there a quick easy way to convert them to .avi encoded with divX instead?
Thanks

Trying to convert it to Divx because the Xvid encoded videos won't play on my car stereo deck.
It displays the error "Cannot play file - high definition" for all Xvid encoded files which I assume has something to do with the Xvid encoding since all my other files encoded with divX work perfectly

Specifically, I'm trying to convert music videos...
I would much rather download them already in divx format but there seems to be only one guy (Skidvid) who uploads these torrents and he always uses Xvid
If someone can recommend other users or places to download music videos from that would be much appreciated
thanks
Advertisement

Last edited by KrAyZiE TRD; 04-10-2009 at 01:29 PM.
KrAyZiE TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

download divx player it has a burner. it only applies if you are burnign them.. otherwise go download .com
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
im a little curious as to why you would bother? oO
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
burn avi files in DIVX and play on PS3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

depending on what you're doing... sometimes it works if you just rename the fourcc coding. avi is just a container, it can play a number of formats. the fourcc would tell the player what codec it uses. the fourcc site is down right now so i can't look up a tool for ya.

for actual converting, TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 (not free), has been the most reliable and easy to use for my ps3 divx videos.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
DivX and Xvid are essentially the same. Any player that can play one should be able to play the other. There may be issues with protected DivX files, but those will be few and far between.

So there is really no reason to re-encode from one to the other.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Yeah, not sure why you want to do this to begin with.

But there's no "easy" way per se... but if I had to do it, then I would use VirtualDub and re-encode it as Divx... but you lose quality everytime you re-encode a file.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Trying to convert it to Divx because the Xvid encoded videos won't play on my car stereo deck.
It displays the error "Cannot play file - high definition" for all Xvid encoded files which I assume has something to do with the Xvid encoding since all my other files encoded with divX work perfectly

Specifically, I'm trying to convert music videos...
I would much rather download them already in divx format but there seems to be only one guy (Skidvid) who uploads these torrents and he always uses Xvid
If someone can recommend other users or places to download music videos from that would be much appreciated
thanks

Last edited by KrAyZiE TRD; 04-10-2009 at 01:28 PM.
KrAyZiE TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Use VirtualDub to do it then... you can do a direct stream copy for the audio, but do full processing on the video and set the compression to DivX and set the bitrate that you want. Higher bitrate equals better quality, but bigger file.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,824 Times in 8,194 Posts
It probably has more to do with the resolution than the codec. For something to play Divx files but not Xvid is almost inconceivable.

Check what your stereo's max resolution is, and see if they fit. Also, make sure that the resolution is divisible by 16.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote