REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

HID/Xenon Lights: Question about high beam/lowbeam

Im new, and i guess a little late, to the whole HID scene.
Im still not exactly sure how it works, but I know I love the look and want to get a set. I want to get the dual halo projectors, and was wondering, If I replace my headlamps with the dual halo projectors, with the HID bulbs, will I get HID in both my high and low beam lights? Or just one or the other? I suppose it would probably be just low beam, but that leads me to another question...is the 6000k light brighter than the high beam? Can I put the 6000k in the high beam and than I would get high beam as well?
Final question: Will the HID conversion fuck up the DRL at all?
Advertisement
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #2

FYI: This it the kit I want to get:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=150332514896
Old 04-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"Some products are intended for off-road or show purposes only. They are
not intended to be used for regular driving conditions. The Manufacturer, distributor, and retailer are NOT responsible for any misuse for these items. Any use of this item other than its intended purpose voids any warranty given." This is their own disclaimer. What it means is that if they get caught selling a HID "conversion " kit is the US, NHTSA can fine them $10,000 per kit.

There are NO LEGAL HID CONVERSION KITS UNLESS YOU PURCHASE A COMPLETE ORIGINAL FACTORY SETUP MADE BY THE CAR MANUFACTURER FOR THAT EXACT MAKE AND MODEL OF CAR AND IT WAS OFFERED AS AN OPTION IN THAT PARTICULAR VEHICLE. You may legally only retrofit this FACTORY setup...everything else is untested, untried and NOT legal. In BC you have just installed unauthorized lights and could get stopped, ticketed, a VI and towed from roadside. There is no way you can control the light output unless it is the factory option. I just got blinded last night by some idiot in a Civic who had installed one of these kits and I'm not a happy camper. You can't see properly because the light is not focused...and you blind oncoming traffic. Please do NOT do this.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
"Some products are intended for off-road or show purposes only. They are
not intended to be used for regular driving conditions. The Manufacturer, distributor, and retailer are NOT responsible for any misuse for these items. Any use of this item other than its intended purpose voids any warranty given." This is their own disclaimer. What it means is that if they get caught selling a HID "conversion " kit is the US, NHTSA can fine them $10,000 per kit.

There are NO LEGAL HID CONVERSION KITS UNLESS YOU PURCHASE A COMPLETE ORIGINAL FACTORY SETUP MADE BY THE CAR MANUFACTURER FOR THAT EXACT MAKE AND MODEL OF CAR AND IT WAS OFFERED AS AN OPTION IN THAT PARTICULAR VEHICLE. You may legally only retrofit this FACTORY setup...everything else is untested, untried and NOT legal. In BC you have just installed unauthorized lights and could get stopped, ticketed, a VI and towed from roadside. There is no way you can control the light output unless it is the factory option. I just got blinded last night by some idiot in a Civic who had installed one of these kits and I'm not a happy camper. You can't see properly because the light is not focused...and you blind oncoming traffic. Please do NOT do this.
Valid points. I know some cconversion kits do not come with projectors. I was told that if you get a projector with it, it will control the height and the blindiness (not a word, but w/e lol). But I do want it to be legal. Im not sure if these lights are just parking lights, or if they are regular lights, or high beam ..the whole process I mean. If I get the halo ring headlight unit, you dont need to put HID lenses in, they can be halogen or xenon, and I assume you wont get as blinded by those. But again, Im not clear on how it works...if I put a bulb in there, for the low beam, then is the light transmitted through the circular ring, or the center.. or is the low beam the angel halo rings, and then high beam will go through the center.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

ditch the halo ring and aftermarket projectors, they arent even made for HIDs in the first place and the bulb they use you will not find anything that fit it.

HIDs DO not come with projectors, projectors come with your headlight when you buy a car.
That being said, if you don't want to blind anyone you can adjust your headlight a bit lower.
There is a knob on top of your headlight or a little screw on top where u can manually adjust and tilt your headlight to shine lower to the floor if you were to install hids.
Jlumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Read this for everything about HID "conversions" There also used to be a link to a video showing how they are unsafe if you "convert".

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...s/Hid/HID.html

Just to repeat for one last time '''THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LEGAL/SAFE CONVERSION KIT" unless you install the full factory setup in a car/model designed by the factory to have that specific setup. Anything not factory authorized/original equipment/orignal update...is an "unauthorized light."
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
your link doesnt work!

but there are a lot of videos on youtube about illegal HID kits.
shenmecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:15 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

I just clicked it and it works fine for me?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc25 View Post
Valid points. I know some cconversion kits do not come with projectors. I was told that if you get a projector with it, it will control the height and the blindiness (not a word, but w/e lol). But I do want it to be legal. Im not sure if these lights are just parking lights, or if they are regular lights, or high beam ..the whole process I mean. If I get the halo ring headlight unit, you dont need to put HID lenses in, they can be halogen or xenon, and I assume you wont get as blinded by those. But again, Im not clear on how it works...if I put a bulb in there, for the low beam, then is the light transmitted through the circular ring, or the center.. or is the low beam the angel halo rings, and then high beam will go through the center.
Based on that right there, the rest of your question is pointless. It doesn't matter what you do with projector housings, halo rings, or anything else, you CAN'T "make" an aftermarket HID install that's legal in BC. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #10

Hmmm, good to know, thanks guy. Perhaps it would be best not to do the conversion than. Anyone here done the install, any problems?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
i did....

hid retrofit, I know they are illegal but i matched my cousin's tsx in terms of height and everything. all the parts are from tsx so its actually not bad.

the biggest thing for me is I drive a lot at night to ubc-coquitlum-richmond so its kinda useful for me
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi128 View Post
the biggest thing for me is I drive a lot at night to ubc-coquitlum-richmond so its kinda useful for me
For all those super-dark patches between the street lights?
Quote:
Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
^ minimal street lights by no 7 road
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Sometimes this is like trying to stop a little from kid burning their hand on a hot stove. After a while I decided to just shut up and let them burn their fingers. The install is illegal and unsafe. There is no way you can tell if the light is able to be controlled properly...and actually IS being controlled properly. There...the burner is on. Soon to follow, the smell of burning flesh.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #15

Ive decided against it...its not worth the cost just for looks (and maybe a little benefit from the increased brightness). I rather invest the money and time into my soundsystem, safer and legal.
tnxs all
Old 04-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
For all those super-dark patches between the street lights?
There are very few lamps on a couple of roads leading to/from the UBC area. (Marine Drive, 16th) For the short 4-5 minute drive, you can literally count the number of lamps on 1 hand.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #17

That hand should be on the wheel.

Odd... where I learned to drive, one could go hours without a streetlight. I never needed more than a pair of standard, non-halogen, incandescent sealed-beams.
Quote:
Old 04-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
That hand should be on the wheel.

Odd... where I learned to drive, one could go hours without a streetlight. I never needed more than a pair of standard, non-halogen, incandescent sealed-beams.
Need and desire are different things. Sure you don't ever really need HID's, but they're safer (if he were to retrofit & use a reasonable temperature bulb) and make the car look better.

You could live your entire life without a dishwasher, but doesn't it make life easier? A bad example, maybe, but my point is that just because one can make do without doesn't mean they're not better.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #19

Living without a dishwasher isn't illegal, though. HID retrofits are.

"the biggest thing for me is I drive a lot at night to ubc-coquitlum-richmond so its kinda useful for me" - hey, I have to drive Pitt Meadows to all over the lower mainland, which is a long way, so you know, speeding all the time is kinda useful for me, too...
Quote:
Old 04-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #20
Rs has made me the man i am today!

There are a million more situations or modifications on the road that are much more dangerous then installing brighter lights on a car. Granted if they pointed in the face of another motorist this can cause temporary blindness to the oncoming driver which can crash and take out a group of young kids on the side of the road on a field trip.... yadadada.
Yes it's illegal because the paper work and the law says so.

What about the oncoming driver that doesn't know to look away from the lights? What about all the illegal driving instructors? Forged paper work to obtain licences? How about drivers with the inability to plan ahead and make a full stop in the middle of traffic before figuring out which way to turn? yadada right? Far more issues on the road then someone wanting to protect themselves by lighting up the roadway in front of them.

Soundy, I know you're against, have you drove a vehicle with HID's? Factory installed ones or other? Difference is amazing.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin View Post
it's illegal because the paper work and the law says so.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Factory installed and retrofit is different...the housing is made specifically for HID whereas in a retrofit, you are just swapping a projector/reflector into the halogen designed housing.

doesn't matter how awesome it is, it's still illegal...yes I have retrofit, yes I know it's illegal, do I care? NO...do I put blue lights to give cops a reason to pull me over? NO
woozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #23

What if you get the housing off of ebay as well, that come with HID. Arent those made to fit HID?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalin View Post
Yes it's illegal because ... the law says so.
Wow... Captain Obvious was about to make an appearance, but he just had a stroke.

Quote:
Soundy, I know you're against, have you drove a vehicle with HID's? Factory installed ones or other? Difference is amazing.
I'm not against HIDs, I'm against the illegally installed ones that blind me because some asshat is more interested with making his car look "cool" than with better visibility, and has no concern for others on the road.

Yes, I've driving cars with *legal, factory-installed* HIDs. Yes, they're marvelous. That doesn't justify doing illegal mods for selfish purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woozzle View Post
Factory installed and retrofit is different...the housing is made specifically for HID whereas in a retrofit, you are just swapping a projector/reflector into the halogen designed housing.
It's more than just that... the housing has to be properly designed for the car, with the proper self-leveling mechanism. Without that, it still doesn't project properly. That's why swapping in a factory HID housing from an identical car is legal, while aftermarket systems aren't.

Quote:
doesn't matter how awesome it is, it's still illegal...yes I have retrofit, yes I know it's illegal, do I care? NO...do I put blue lights to give cops a reason to pull me over? NO
Will you care when you get a ticket and a VI and have to swap your original lights back in before your car will pass inspection? YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc25 View Post
What if you get the housing off of ebay as well, that come with HID. Arent those made to fit HID?
If you actually trust anything off eBay. They might CLAIM the housing is designed for HIDs... doesn't mean it's so.
Quote:
Old 04-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #25
RS Peace Officer

"There are very few lamps on a couple of roads leading to/from the UBC area. (Marine Drive, 16th) For the short 4-5 minute drive, you can literally count the number of lamps on 1 hand."

I've driven in the Australian Outback where there was a stretch of 275 miles without anything taller than a 6 inch shrub or two. There were no streetlights there...and it was flat and straight....I managed to survive. If your eyesight is so bad that you need blinding illegal lights to see, how about considering a glaucoma operation....seriously....or maybe slow down so you don't outdrive your legal lights ?