REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Repaired Hockey Sticks Opinions

I have been looking around for cheap hockey sticks and a friend was suggesting to look at "REPAIRED" composite sticks, he says that they are pretty decent for the price. So I searched up and found this http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/spo/1112756919.html and was wondering if anybody has tried using repaired sticks?

Can anybody shed some light?
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

wow looks very promising.... now people can buy expensive sticks and not having to worry so much about breaking it and buying a new one.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 2,584 Times in 610 Posts
DON'T do it. DON'T!
raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #4

Gross. The repair job throws off the balance of the entire stick. Looks like they're all going for around $100ish... might as well spend $120 on a brand new ONE95 shaft and slap a blade on that.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Gross. The repair job throws off the balance of the entire stick. Looks like they're all going for around $100ish... might as well spend $120 on a brand new ONE95 shaft and slap a blade on that.
same thing goes if i bought like a 300 dollar warrior 1 piece?
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvasion View Post
same thing goes if i bought like a 300 dollar warrior 1 piece?
Not exactly sure what your question is but if you buy ANY repaired stick regardless of how high end it is to begin with, the extra material they add to the repair point will throw off the balance of the stick.

And I don't see the need in buying a $300 Warrior in the first place. You can find older Dolo and Dolo NG's for $170 at The Hockey Shop and they're still great sticks. The new Dolo Spynes are a gimmick, hence why you still see more regular Dolos than Dolo Spynes in the NHL.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #7

I'm looking for something that's got a low flex and my budget is around $100-$120, anybody got suggestions? INT or SR is fine since I'm a beginner and only around 5'6 - 5'7.

Cuz I was looking at Vapour XXXX but it's so expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. Whats a good cheap place or site to go looking for sticks? Hockey Monkey, Hockey Giant, ???
Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityPimp View Post
I'm looking for something that's got a low flex and my budget is around $100-$120, anybody got suggestions? INT or SR is fine since I'm a beginner and only around 5'6 - 5'7.

Cuz I was looking at Vapour XXXX but it's so expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. Whats a good cheap place or site to go looking for sticks? Hockey Monkey, Hockey Giant, ???
In your budget I would consider looking for a used high end shaft and pairing it up with a decent blade. My general rule is don't buy a cheap composite, it will feel like crap and you will regret it. If you can up your budget a bit you can afford a pro return but those don't come with a warranty so you're SOL if it breaks in 30 days.

You also mentioned you're a beginner, have you found a curve that you liked yet? It's better to buy a good wood stick (Sherwood 5030 for $30) instead of a mediocre price point composite ($30-$100) if you're just starting out.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

the sports exchange is having a huge sale. 2 7ks or sick kicks for 125
or 2 one90's for 150
warrior for 150
but that was a few weeks ago
seemed like they were clearing 08 stock so if its still there you should check it out
Old 04-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
In your budget I would consider looking for a used high end shaft and pairing it up with a decent blade. My general rule is don't buy a cheap composite, it will feel like crap and you will regret it. If you can up your budget a bit you can afford a pro return but those don't come with a warranty so you're SOL if it breaks in 30 days.

You also mentioned you're a beginner, have you found a curve that you liked yet? It's better to buy a good wood stick (Sherwood 5030 for $30) instead of a mediocre price point composite ($30-$100) if you're just starting out.

well i've played roller for 5 years but I still suck, I currently have a two piece Louisville tricore with a RBK crosby curve on it but I used my buddy's Vapour XXXX (INT) with a Naslund curve on it and I loved the whip on it. So I'm REALLY leaning on something similiar or something with a lot of whip.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

int. warrior dolomites 70 flex or if you want even more flex,the int. warrior mac daddy 60 flex. I'm 5'7 as well and the warriors lengths are good compared to some other int sticks i've looked at which seem kinda long, but its all preference.
TPS int. whip flex is comparible to the dolo's 70.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

had some didn't like them. quickly sold them off
but my friend is using one and he seems to like it a lot.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #13

Quote:
well i've played roller for 5 years but I still suck, I currently have a two piece Louisville tricore with a RBK crosby curve on it but I used my buddy's Vapour XXXX (INT) with a Naslund curve on it and I loved the whip on it. So I'm REALLY leaning on something similiar or something with a lot of whip.
Are you RH or LH? There's someone selling a INT. XXXX with a RH P92 pattern on the Facebook group "Greater Vancouver Hockey Gear Exchange"
Old 04-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I bought 2 repaired nikebauer XXX lites off that guy. They held up fine, performed just like any normal one piece. The guy is a stand up dude, gives you a receipt too, and a limited warranty I think. He only has giants and a small amount of pro curves. Mine were broken in the lower part of the shaft, just above the blade, and I broke them very close to the original break. I just cut the shafts above that point and retrofitted some wood blades in and still use them for ball hockey.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #15

My experience in a purchase from Stick FX in Richmond. Purchased both a Vapour XXXX and a One 95. Symptons - Sticks were unbalanced, whip of the stick changed, heavier from stock, and the cost of purchasing one isn't affordable. Better off buying a brand new Vapour XV and One 90.

A golf trick I used to determine the balance of the sticks was to place the stick on your hand and find the point where the stick is able to level itself off. Comparing this with an OEM stock and a fixed stick, will show a significant difference in the balance and kick-point. Especially with the higher end sticks, you pay for weight savings, balance and kick points...
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Are you RH or LH? There's someone selling a INT. XXXX with a RH P92 pattern on the Facebook group "Greater Vancouver Hockey Gear Exchange"
I'm RH
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm RH
Join the group http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...id=63757185287

There's one for $80 with all the specs you're looking for and it's a bit below your price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
My experience in a purchase from Stick FX in Richmond. Purchased both a Vapour XXXX and a One 95. Symptons - Sticks were unbalanced, whip of the stick changed, heavier from stock, and the cost of purchasing one isn't affordable. Better off buying a brand new Vapour XV and One 90.

A golf trick I used to determine the balance of the sticks was to place the stick on your hand and find the point where the stick is able to level itself off. Comparing this with an OEM stock and a fixed stick, will show a significant difference in the balance and kick-point. Especially with the higher end sticks, you pay for weight savings, balance and kick points...
How's the Dolo I sold you?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #18
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I have an S17 that is 100 flex but was broken just above the blade.and had stickfix. The stick is a little stiffer than stock. Besides that, didn't really notice the stock being that much heavier than before, and don't really notice the change in kick point. For rmost beginners, I don't think any of these should be an issue. But then again, if the Warrior Dolo are going for $150, you are better off picking up one of those sticks as opposed to a repaired stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #19

Quote:

There's one for $80 with all the specs you're looking for and it's a bit below your price range.

Sweet, thx a lot

how's the Nike Bauer ONE90 OPS? cuz the Vapour XXXX is actually sold!

Last edited by B-DiZzLe; 04-12-2009 at 12:56 PM.
B-DiZzLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #20

Quote:

Awesome Stick! Already planning on another purchase of Warrior Dolomite OPS.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Sweet, thx a lot

how's the Nike Bauer ONE90 OPS? cuz the Vapour XXXX is actually sold!
I like the ONE90, just not the Wellwood curve. I'm using a pro stock Isbister Dolomite right now and it's pretty much a P92/Sakic clone. The Wellwood is too flat for my liking, a clone of the Jofa-Titan 5 degree loft heel curve. I'd like to sell it and buy/trade + cash for a new stick, either a P92 ONE95 or another Warrior. I'm kind of debating between the ONE95 and the '09 AK27 shaft as well.