REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

IF GM goes bankrupt...

how cheap are their cars going to get? Im wondering about the new corvettes and cadilacs that are out specifically.

Am i going to see a significant price drop?
Advertisement

www.l2sc.net
FiveDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
dustinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
how cheap are their cars going to get? Im wondering about the new corvettes and cadilacs that are out specifically.

Am i going to see a significant price drop?
If anything the prices could go up. Bankruptcy doesn't me closing up shop, it means a government restructured business is going to emerge. If that happens, they might freeze discounts and raise prices to MSRP.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
If anything the prices could go up. Bankruptcy doesn't me closing up shop, it means a government restructured business is going to emerge. If that happens, they might freeze discounts and raise prices to MSRP.
which means GM's cars will really sell like hotcakes
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
if GM goes bankrupt, then its assets will be dissolved to pay creditors. most likely they will hire new management to reorganize the corp. chances are, the new guys will still keep the name GM to retain some residual name association, but with the revamp, may just come an overal better company. Im sure there will be new investments and investors.

Im more interested in all the other companies that GM has stakes in, all their side companies, and how this will affect them.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I seriously doubt that the US government will allow GM to die.. and the cars will never be 'cheap' so if you really want one, better go buy one while they're still being made
Old 04-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
I seriously doubt that the US government will allow GM to die.. and the cars will never be 'cheap' so if you really want one, better go buy one while they're still being made

there is no way they can live if they don't. people were saying this 4 years ago well before the resession hit.

I read somewhere that if every worker worked for free, they'd still lose money, as just the pensioners alone are paid more then the company makes, let alone trying to pay the current workers too.

the union destroyed the company.

the pensioners will probably get the cars... "sorry buddy, you worked for 30 years but your million dollar pension is now canceled, but here have a Cadillac instead"
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #7

If the reports about one in seven of US citizens being involved, in some way, with one of the three big US automakers... if the US government lets any of the three die, that would screw up their economy worse than it already is.

I'm interested to see where this goes..
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
When people say "bankrupt" and "die", what exactly do you guys mean?

Chapter 11 bankruptcy allows for a breaking of all contracts, a full reorganization with control given to all debtholders proportionally, and a continuance of operation.

Even if they do die, it's entirely possible that their manufacturing capacity will be purchased by other companies; free of the contractual obligations of so-called "legacy costs" and under no requirement to keep current union contracts or pay/benefits.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #9

Man, that would suck for all the pensioners who paid into their funds, and lose it all.

I predict mass senior-citizen suicides!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Man, that would suck for all the pensioners who paid into their funds, and lose it all.

I predict mass senior-citizen suicides!
They're not going to lose their contributions. Pension assets are held under a separate trust. If GM goes bankrupt, the existing pension assets are safe; however, GM may or may not have to make up any deficits depending on where employee pensions are in the bankruptcy order.
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
there is no way they can live if they don't. people were saying this 4 years ago well before the resession hit.

I read somewhere that if every worker worked for free, they'd still lose money, as just the pensioners alone are paid more then the company makes, let alone trying to pay the current workers too.

the union destroyed the company.

the pensioners will probably get the cars... "sorry buddy, you worked for 30 years but your million dollar pension is now canceled, but here have a Cadillac instead"
QFT Unfortunately.
KinseySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #12

so cars wont be cheaper?

www.l2sc.net
FiveDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
racing & tech mod.

no they won't. prices have already started going back up, actually.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

GM is still a viable business. They do sell a lot of cars, not to mention their truck/fleet sales. They will not disappear. They will just hire new management and do a lot of restructuring. They'll still be around.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

China wants into the north american market, their cars are not ready for the north american market yet. Buying one of the ailing US car companies would make a lot of sense.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
GM is still a viable business. They do sell a lot of cars, not to mention their truck/fleet sales. They will not disappear. They will just hire new management and do a lot of restructuring. They'll still be around.
I am sorry but when you take billions and billions of Government's money that says lot how viable GM's business is. Even if are able to bring all stakeholders together (close to impossible), now that's a BIG IF but in what shape and form is the future GM is going to look like? Don't count on the VOLT to save the entire company.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
China wants into the north american market, their cars are not ready for the north american market yet. Buying one of the ailing US car companies would make a lot of sense.
chinese auto makers have told the press 10million times, they are not interested in spending money on a a company like GM or chrysler.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
chinese auto makers have told the press 10million times, they are not interested in spending money on a a company like GM or chrysler.
the last thing you want to do in an acquisition is get saddled with all the bullshit unions and entitled workers that come with the big three.
Synaptik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #19
One
I STILL don't get it

Where was a rumor that Chery Auto (China) is interested in supplying vehicles for sales under Saturn, that did not go through.

Chinese automaker has a long way to go in terms of
- Safety rating
- Copycat styling (that shit just won't fly in N.A)
- subpar performance
- quality control (the curse of executing cost cutting to perfection)

Chinese automakers aren't too interested in N.A. with its market saturated with cars, they got their eyes on their own backyard, China.
One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #20
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
I am sorry but when you take billions and billions of Government's money that says lot how viable GM's business is. Even if are able to bring all stakeholders together (close to impossible), now that's a BIG IF but in what shape and form is the future GM is going to look like? Don't count on the VOLT to save the entire company.
Chevy was the second best selling brand behind Toyota (the brand, not the car company) last year. They don't need the Volt, they need to prevent the unions from taking all their profits (that's where the bailout money is going, retired former workers retirement funds).
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

are BC transits and the canadian government follow the whole union program?
maybe that's why BC transits is always short of money....
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM   #22
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
are BC transits and the canadian government follow the whole union program?
maybe that's why BC transits is always short of money....
when a guy who changes fare boxes makes $17/hr. You bet.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #23

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
good read on a GM buying experience.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30213398/
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #24
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Chinese automakers aren't too interested in N.A. with its market saturated with cars, they got their eyes on their own backyard, China.
The problem is that the Chinese market is changing also. They're no longer pumping out dozens of ships an hour, as their exports have dropped significantly. As NA and European consumers go back to a desire to not use poorly made products that are destined for the trash, we'll see an even bigger drop in Chinese exports.

That said, if they can go the route of Tata with their nano, Chery could have big gains in their backyard. As long as they don't promote Cadillac pricing in a Lada market.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote