REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

How do you trade a car?

I'm looking to trade my suv straight up for a hatchback. However, I'm unsure of how the process would be like. What precautions should I do before I meet up with the buyer? How do I handle the insurance? I tried searching here, icbc, etc. but to no avail. Any help or tips on the process? I know what to look for when buying a car, but it's the procedure of trading that I'm unfamiliar with. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Ornithology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
hmmm... I'm assuming both owners take their registration papers to the autoplan agents, and transfer insurances and ownership to their each respective cars I guess.

You should call an autoplan agent though.

Precautions? Same as buying used, meet up at a mutually agreed mechanic shop so that both your cars can be inspected, or to different shops if you guys can't agree on one shop.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
1. Bring a friend.
2. If you're sure you know what to look for as far as history, condition, future repairs, just be thorough.
3. When it comes to filling out the transfer forms, there's a section for the amounts/value. You and the other party can negotiate how much you want to claim your vehicles are worth.
(Because it's a trade, I'm not 100% sure if you'll have to pay tax on the trade value - check with the insurance agent)
4. Register the vehicle in your name and transfer the insurance.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

O_O
don't you just switch keys?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
^ pretty much, but you want to play safe and do everything at the auto plan place.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 PM   #6

So both the buyer and I head out to any autobroker and do the key swap/insurance papers there?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
racing & tech mod.

YES. Both you and the other buyer need to be at autoplan together. There is a way to do it seperately, but it's WAY WAY WAY easier to sit down together at an autoplan office. Preferably go to an autoplan office that has a COMPETANT broker. I have done a lot of insurance and sadly there are a lot of insurance agents that have no fucking clue what they are doing, but then there are some that are downright awesome. All west insurance is really good, and their (female) agents are super hot. The old chinese man at Oakridge mall / Oakridge insurance is also very very sharp and fast.

I recommend that you do an ICBC / Lien check on the car you are buying, as you don't want to have it taken away from you if the prev owner doesnt make his payments.

Good luck.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #8

Alright, how much will it cost to get the registration/insurance transferred at the Oakridge mall location? Is there any way to do this without paying taxes as it is basically a straight up trade and the guy may be giving me a bit of cash?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
racing & tech mod.

You're best off asking the insurance agent at Oakridge, because he knows 100% and I wouldn't want to suggest trying something that might be technically illegal, just to save on taxes.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Reg. is like $28

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

are they both paid off?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I've never traded a car here, but in the US, when I traded in my car for another at the dealership, only the difference was taxed. I imagine it would be the same here, but the Autoplan agent can probably clarify for you.

For example:
If my car is worth $10000, and I go in and purchase a car for $15000, then I would only get taxed on the $5000 difference rather than the complete $15000.

If it's a straight trade for cars of equal value, I can't imagine you having to pay much tax. (just whatever fees are charged for the paperwork) Like others have said, you still need to do your due diligence (lien check, vehicle history, etc) before taking possession.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #13

What if we both do it like a two-way gift. I sell mine, he sells his, but both for the value of "gift"? Would that be the same?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornithology View Post
What if we both do it like a two-way gift. I sell mine, he sells his, but both for the value of "gift"? Would that be the same?
That's clearly tax evasion. I honestly wouldn't do it or advise anyone to do it. I think they would probably want you to prove you knew each other and why both of you are gifting something to each other. It's way too obvious.

Check with the Autoplan agent to see if it's just the difference that would incur taxes. If it's an even trade, then you have nothing to worry about. If there's a difference, just pay the taxes on the difference or try to keep the difference as low as possible so you pay the least taxes as possible.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #15

Thjat's the thing, there is no difference in value...