REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Question about retaking courses, limit, etc (UBC & SFU)

So basically I'm wondering how retaking courses works at UBC and SFU what differs. I know so far SFU allows you to retake 5 courses? Does the situation change if they failed the course instead of passing with a poor grade? How about UBCs policies on retaking courses?
Advertisement

Last edited by Razgriz; 04-17-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

SFU retakes replace current marks for calculating GPA for internal purposes.

You get 5 attempts in total, included retakes transferred from other schools. Some departments will only allow you to attempt a class twice, unless permission from the department head is received.

No it does not change.

At UBC, for calculating your reported average, retakes do not replace the current mark.

I'd like to note, how your marks are treated depends on what the people looking at them want to do.

For example, SFU may replace your current mark with the retake. But if you go apply to UBC law school with your marks, that class you replaced is used in their calculation.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

So 5 retakes for both UBC and SFU?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #4

From what I remember, you can retake a class at UBC as often as you want, as long as you give them money. But it might have changed.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I'm not the one actually in this situation but if someone was attending SFU and failed 5 courses...what are their options?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
SFU retakes replace current marks for calculating GPA for internal purposes.

You get 5 attempts in total, included retakes transferred from other schools. Some departments will only allow you to attempt a class twice, unless permission from the department head is received.
I thought when you transferred from other institutions, you start from scratch?
Meaning, if you retook 2 courses from other institutions and you transferred into SFU, you are still up at 0/5 for retakes.
ASG111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
I'm not the one actually in this situation but if someone was attending SFU and failed 5 courses...what are their options?
Beg
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG111 View Post
Meaning, if you retook 2 courses from other institutions and you transferred into SFU, you are still up at 0/5 for retakes.
Hmm, actually I'm not too sure now. You might be right. Check the academic calendar.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Beg for you life basically, gotta talk to dean of Faculty or Department, I know people who have done it, 6 or 7 max retakes is the most I have ever heard of.

Quote:
I'll give you an example of what happened to me. I took math 151 at SFU got a C+. A semester later I was RTW so I went to Capilano, took the equivalent there and got an A. When I transferred back to SFU the C+ still stands because they say the level of difficulty at Capilano is not on par with SFU.

What they are saying is you will get credit for the course, but your original grade at SFU still stands.

I can probably explain it a bit more clearly if you elaborate on your situation.

feedback
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
Beg for you life basically, gotta talk to dean of Faculty or Department, I know people who have done it, 6 or 7 max retakes is the most I have ever heard of.

I'll give you an example of what happened to me. I took math 151 at SFU got a C+. A semester later I was RTW so I went to Capilano, took the equivalent there and got an A. When I transferred back to SFU the C+ still stands because they say the level of difficulty at Capilano is not on par with SFU.

What they are saying is you will get credit for the course, but your original grade at SFU still stands.

I can probably explain it a bit more clearly if you elaborate on your situation.
I don't have a situation... but let say Student A went to Cap, took a Math course, failed it there, and retook it again IN Cap.

Now fast forward to transfer into SFU... now would you say that retake that Student A did for math counts as one of the max 5 retakes at SFU?

Also, in your case, I thought they already account for the difficulty when they take off 0.3 of the GPA of your transferred courses because that's their policy. Pretty bullshit if they don't and just state that as their reason...
Old 04-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

They don't count the A from Cap because you got a C+ at SFU. I think as long as you get C- or higher at SFU you can't up your mark from the transfering institution.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #12

ASG111 - Hmmmm thats a tricky one, but I don't think it counts. I had a friend who took math course at Cap failed, took it again when he got into SFU. They did not count it as a retake. Technically retakes should only be counted when they are retaken at SFU to up a course mark previously taken at SFU.

Hope that makes sense

Another example, like stated earlier I took Math 151 at SFU C+, then at Cap A. During my last sem I didn't know what else to take so I thought hmmmm I'll redo Math 151. Online registration didn't let me saying I already retook this course, which is half true. But I went to math advisor and she over-rode the system and let me in.

So I guess it really depends who you are dealing with.

feedback
Old 04-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Also, in your case, I thought they already account for the difficulty when they take off 0.3 of the GPA of your transferred courses because that's their policy. Pretty bullshit if they don't and just state that as their reason...
That 0.3 is the biggest myth. It probably stems from the extremely large group of people who couldn't get into business.

0.3 deduction is only done for transfer to the faculty of business IF you have a combination of both transferable courses complete at another college/university AND SFU aka Category 4 applications. The 0.3 deduction is not done at universities.

If you're applying to sfu business with just college marks, they do not do that because you're only competing against other college students.

All other faculties do not do this.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #14
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
That 0.3 is the biggest myth. It probably stems from the extremely large group of people who couldn't get into business.

0.3 deduction is only done for transfer to the faculty of business IF you have a combination of both transferable courses complete at another college/university AND SFU aka Category 4 applications. The 0.3 deduction is not done at universities.

If you're applying to sfu business with just college marks, they do not do that because you're only competing against other college students.

All other faculties do not do this.
What? Run that by me again? I have talked to large amounts of advisors and they have all said the same thing. When you transfer from a college to SFU Business, they take off 0.3 for ALL the courses transferred INTO SFU.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
What? Run that by me again? I have talked to large amounts of advisors and they have all said the same thing. When you transfer from a college to SFU Business, they take off 0.3 for ALL the courses transferred INTO SFU.
There are 4 different categories for application into the faculty of business.

You only compete against those within your category. (Although it seems cat 3 and 4 guys compete against each other)

Cat 2 people (You are transferring from another school AND have never taken a course at SFU) are in a different pile than cat 4 people (those who have completed courses at other schools AND have completed courses at SFU)

It's easy to see through the past minimum GPA for entrance. The gap each semester between cat 2 and cat 4 people can vary a lot. Sometimes it's 0.1, other times it's 0.6
Old 04-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #16
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
UBC has a max too, its about 4 times total.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,562 Times in 204 Posts
from personal experience at ubc is 2 times
i failed math 180, 2 times. Couldn't take it the 3rd time, took 184, and passed easily.
i wish i took 184 to start.
IfUCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

As far as I know, you cannot retake a class you already passed at UBC to achieve a better grade at it. For failed courses, UBC only allows you to take the course twice total (one failure) with the exception of one of the first year Calculus courses (Math 103), but I think that's a good thing. If you can't do it the second time you probably can never do it. Taking a course FIVE times? That's ridiculous. How can you stomach paying that much money and going through the same dull crap through that many repetitions? Take something else would be my recommendation. Or you can beg for an "adjudicated pass".

Honestly the whole "cover up your previous failure" at SFU after a retake is going really easy on the students. I never liked how they do the marks there, from utter bullshit (some of the bell curving) to what pretty much seems like GPA-fixing (retake a class five times, fail 4, get an A on the 5th, only the A appears).
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I don't think its taking the same course 5 times...I think its you can take a course TWICE to a total of 5 courses...I think, don't quote me.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
I don't think its taking the same course 5 times...I think its you can take a course TWICE to a total of 5 courses...I think, don't quote me.
No. You can retake any course, up to 5 times.
sp00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00n View Post
No. You can retake any course, up to 5 times.
Uh, no. What he said is correct.

Twice is the limit, afterward you are required to get permission from the department through the chair or the undergraduate adviser.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelt View Post
As far as I know, you cannot retake a class you already passed at UBC to achieve a better grade at it.
Well, it depends on who's looking. If you are referring to the calculation of your average, then retaking the class doesn't replace the grade. It will only bump up your average as if you just took another course. HOWEVER, when applying to other programs....they may do things different.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #23
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
At SFU, I know you can take any given undergrad course twice, unless you've been granted special permission. (How to go about obtaining the permission though, I have no idea).
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i think what you should be asking is

how fucking stupid do you have to be to retake the same course 5 times
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #25

if by the 3rd time you still don't get it maybe its time to try something else

feedback