REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Got a VI (https://www.revscene.net/forums/572848-got-vi.html)

-EuroRSN- 04-19-2009 10:15 PM

Got a VI

So just got off work and get pulled over by NWPD at a Road Check. Anyway the officer says that my car is way too low since he cant get a finger through my fenders on the back tires and got me VI for that reason. What am i suppose to do? The car was already lowered before i got the car on springs so now im guessing i need to look for stock springs and get it back to height WHICH I REALLY dont want to do cause its a huge hastle. So question is what is the actual height specification and any suggestions on what to do next. Would putting on a smaller size rims work to make my gap larger or are they going to say that NOW your frame is too low to the ground? If someone could shine some light on this it be great. Thank u

Graeme S 04-19-2009 10:59 PM

IIRC:
headlights must be no lower than 56cm from the ground.
When tires are deflated, body must not make contact with the ground.

Check on the headlight measurement to be sure. Getting smaller rims will not help you because then it'll be easier for the body to touch the gruond if the tires are deflated. BIGGER rims may help you, but hueg rims with tires are more expensive than raising the car, or even getting height-adjustable coilovers.

-EuroRSN- 04-19-2009 11:12 PM

thats what i heard as well, all about the actual height of the vehicle and not how much clearance u got... im definatly going to measure tomorro! thx

p.s. the officers biggest concern was that if i were to hit a bump on the highway my tire will explode because it will hit the wheel weld and cause a huge accident, which is highly unlikely in my opinion!

TypeRNammer 04-20-2009 02:24 AM

wow that totally sucks.

if you had koni yellow shocks, i was gonna tell you to move it up a few purches

some_punk 04-20-2009 07:51 AM

Just want to know, which section in the book says this?

Soundy 04-20-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_punk (Post 6388976)

Just want to know, which section in the book says this?

Found the first one in the Lights sticky. :gotsearch:

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20M%20--/Motor%20Vehicle%20Act%20%20RSBC%201996%20%20c.%203 18/05_Regulations/27_26_58%20Motor%20Vehicle%20Act%20Regulations/26_58_01.xml#part_division4
Headlamps

4.05 (1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with either one or 2 headlamps mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle and capable of displaying white light.

(2) The headlamps must be mounted at a height of not less than 56 cm and not more than 1.37 m.

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/freeside/--%20m%20--/motor%20vehicle%20act%20%20rsbc%201996%20%20c.%203 18/05_regulations/27_26_58%20motor%20vehicle%20act%20regulations/26_58_04.xml#section7.091
Clearance height

7.091 A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg must have a minimum clearance for all parts of it, other than the wheels in contact with the level roadway, that is no lower than the lowest point on the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

[en. B.C. Reg. 167/2006, s. (a).]

-EuroRSN- 04-20-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRNammer (Post 6388798)
wow that totally sucks.

if you had koni yellow shocks, i was gonna tell you to move it up a few purches

Ya man tell me about it! should of gotten coilovers FUCK! does anyone know how much it is to change springs? just approximately

Raid3n 04-20-2009 06:40 PM

its purely labour. call around to shops and ask...should be around .5 hr i think? shouldn't take more than an hour.. unless you need them to take the struts off the car and put them back on, then it starts stacking up... but i think i paid like $40 to advance in coq. to have the springs on a set of struts i brought them switched to the other set i provided.

-EuroRSN- 04-21-2009 12:49 AM

^Thx if only i had a spring compressor then it be easy

Raid3n 04-21-2009 01:43 AM

you can get some pretty hokey ones from cambodian tire, but i don't know how much i would trust them...

but any shop with a spring compressor should be able to help you out, and it shouldn't take too long.

advance is by able auctions on lougheed highway at schoolhouse rd. across the street from the A&W.

Soundy 04-21-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -EuroRSN- (Post 6390334)
^Thx if only i had a spring compressor then it be easy

Princess Auto FTW.

SpuGen 04-21-2009 09:35 AM

If no part of the car is lower than the lowerst part of your rims, you should be fine.

There's no MVA rule regarding tire/wheel tucking.
Sunken battleship wheels should be illegal though.

Soundy 04-21-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 6390623)
If no part of the car is lower than the lowerst part of your rims, you should be fine.

There's no MVA rule regarding tire/wheel tucking.
Sunken battleship wheels should be illegal though.

There IS a rule stating that the tire must not rub on any part of the car, and it sounds like that's what the cop was concerned with in the OP's case. Inability to fit a finger through is a pretty vague indicator, though - stiff enough springs and proper clearance will prevent any problems.

!Yaminashi 04-21-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 6389748)
its purely labour. call around to shops and ask...should be around .5 hr i think? shouldn't take more than an hour.. unless you need them to take the struts off the car and put them back on, then it starts stacking up... but i think i paid like $40 to advance in coq. to have the springs on a set of struts i brought them switched to the other set i provided.

Wait, you paid $40 to have springs swapped at Advance?
No waaaiiiiii

Raid3n 04-21-2009 12:57 PM

lol, i don't have a spring compressor so of course i'm going to pay someone else.
and i am not 100% sure on that amount but it should be somewhere around that. i brought them a set of struts and a set of springs and had them swap the springs. there was no RE&RE of the struts on the car so the price wasn't that much.

fsy82 04-21-2009 02:24 PM

u shouldnt just be worried about ur height. VI means the shop will check everything on your car to make sure its legally allowed on the road. meaning even if u have bald tires u will fail. if you have hids u will fail, if you have a burnt bulb u will fail. so before u go in make sure everything is in working order.

sebberry 04-21-2009 07:03 PM

OP: Is any part of your car lower than the lowest part of your wheels? Are your headlights within the required spec?

If so, surely there must be a way to fight the VI considering it was issued based on a "suspicion" that isn't even part of the MVA.

Providing there is nothing illegal on your car, I would contact the officer and show him that your car would pass the inspection and how his concerns are ill-founded. Then again, if your car is packed full of illegal mods.. well..

Raid3n 04-21-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsy82 (Post 6390956)
u shouldnt just be worried about ur height. VI means the shop will check everything on your car to make sure its legally allowed on the road. meaning even if u have bald tires u will fail. if you have hids u will fail, if you have a burnt bulb u will fail. so before u go in make sure everything is in working order.

the only way you'd fail for having HID's is if your car did not come with them from the factory or as an option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6391472)
OP: Is any part of your car lower than the lowest part of your wheels? Are your headlights within the required spec?

If so, surely there must be a way to fight the VI considering it was issued based on a "suspicion" that isn't even part of the MVA.

Providing there is nothing illegal on your car, I would contact the officer and show him that your car would pass the inspection and how his concerns are ill-founded. Then again, if your car is packed full of illegal mods.. well..

you can't dispute VI's as far as i know.

wing_woo 04-22-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 6392012)
you can't dispute VI's as far as i know.

Which totally sucks cause if OP goes to get his VI done and his car passes as is, but he runs into the same officer again, or another one, who feels the same way about your car as the original officer, he can just give you another VI even though you have the papers showing that you passed the VI, cause they can claim that you put it back to stock and then after VI, remodded it again.

zulutango 04-22-2009 08:48 AM

Just so you know...

Notifications and orders
25.08 (1) Despite an inspection certificate being in force, the director or a peace officer may, on having reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a vehicle may not comply with the standards, notify the owner or operator of a vehicle to present it for inspection to a designated inspection facility within the period set out in the notification.

(2) The director or a peace officer may order the owner or operator of a vehicle, in respect of which no inspection certificate is in force, to surrender to either of them the vehicle licence or the number plates, or both, for that vehicle.

(3) The owner or operator must comply with a notification under subsection (1) and an order under subsection (2).

(4) After examining a vehicle presented to the designated inspection facility following a notification under subsection (1), an authorized person must revoke any unexpired certificate, issue an inspection report in the manner set out in section 25.13 and

(a) issue a new inspection certificate of approval under section 25.13 (2), or

(b) issue an interim inspection certificate under section 25.13 (3)

on being satisfied that the conditions for issuing those certificates have been met.

(5) A notification under subsection (1) may require the owner or operator to notify the director or peace officer of the result of the required inspection.

This was likely placed into law because of defective inspections, corrupt inspectors, defects that come up since the previous inspection...all things that I have personally seen many times....with the 1st 2 reasons being the most common. When you stop a motorcycle with no front fender, no turn signals, open primary and rear chain case and straight pipes...and the rider produces a report showing the bike had passed the inspection...what do you think happened there? Same with a slammed truck where the exhaust ended under the cab, with a functioning air suspension system with controls in the cab, no normal frame or chassis but a home made ladder setup, with shocks & springs removed because of the adjustable airbags...and it also has a valid inspection certificate...what do you think happened there? Both real world examples...one in lake Cowichan, the other in Chemainus. Both owners from Victoria.

yvrnycracer 04-24-2009 10:29 AM

The VI system is completely OFF... Most officers do not have the training nor do they have the knowledge to make judgements on whether a vehicle is in compliance with regs ESPECIALLY when they prove this by saying things are rules that actually are against the MVA... (Example when I quoted the section of the MVA about the ride height of a vehicle verbatim and he told me this wasn't the case)... Another fine example was an officer claiming that my speedo would be off because I had aftermarket wheels even though they wheel/tire combo were of OEM sizing...

The system is broken but no one will fix it because this is not an important political issue plain and simple...

It doesn't work when people who enforce the laws don't actually know or UNDERSTAND the laws they are trying to enforce... Especially since cars and enthusiast are such a priority over every social issue and problem affecting us today.

zulutango 04-24-2009 11:25 AM

In BC there is no provincial MVA requirement to have an accurate speedo...or any speedo at all. You are required to NOT exceed any limit...1km over is speeding. If your aftermarket wheels were the exact circumference/diamater as the original ones, then there should be no different readings...if they were different, then an existing built in inaccuracy could be exaggerated. I have never come aross a speedo that is 100% accurate.

yvrnycracer 04-24-2009 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6395841)
In BC there is no provincial MVA requirement to have an accurate speedo...or any speedo at all. You are required to NOT exceed any limit...1km over is speeding. If your aftermarket wheels were the exact circumference/diamater as the original ones, then there should be no different readings...if they were different, then an existing built in inaccuracy could be exaggerated. I have never come aross a speedo that is 100% accurate.

I Know this... I also know my speedo reads about 8% fast which is normal (this is the way it came from the factory)... but this is what the OFFICER said... not I... :confused:

zulutango 04-24-2009 11:50 AM

If the officer was a Traffic member ( card-carrying, eats-his-young, Radar Pig) he should be doing pushups till he does some research. I developed Popeye arms earlier in my career. :)

yvrnycracer 04-24-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6395886)
If the officer was a Traffic member ( card-carrying, eats-his-young, Radar Pig) he should be doing pushups till he does some research. I developed Popeye arms earlier in my career. :)

I think he was a standard duty boy... traffic guys rarely buy footwear from my store... (and he was wearing a pair he bought from my store)... plus I don't think there is traffic detail @ 2am... :D

He still needs to do some pushups until he learns the laws... :thumbsup:

1... i will not harass car enthusiasts... 2... i will not harass car enthusiasts... 3 etc etc... that would be great counting them off like that while having to go up hard enough so that he can clap his hands together between pushups!! :D