REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Need all electrical wiring/foglight guru's!

So when i bought this vehicle the owner gave me the set of fogs that came with it, but he had them removed. This is my first time attempting something like this and i'm not very inclined when it comes to electrical wiring so I thought i'd ask and DIY before I spend $80 on labour to get these installed.

Vid will explain it all.
[youtube]sqhnmJ032NI[/youtube]

Any insight/tips are appreciated!
Advertisement
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

From the looks of it, you have a whole lot of extra wires that you probably don't need.
Depending on how you want to run the fog lights. (DRL, w/ Hi Beam, not w/ Hi Beam, etc.) Those are a bit more complicated then I can explain. So for the sake of simplicity this is just to wire your fog lights to turn on any time you turn on the switch.

From the relay that red goes to the battery.
The Black goes to ground.
Follow one of the wires to the switch and from that switch the black one goes to ground again.
The blue one can go to either your low beam wire or a 12V when ignition is on wire. One would allow you turn on the fog lights any time. One would allow you to turn on the fog lights only when the car is on.

Basically this would be your signal wire that tells the relay to let battery power turn on the fog lights.

This is how I wire HIDs, and its basically the same concept with fog lights, so I hope it helps. Someone want to double check that?
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

in an ideal situation i'd like the fogs to act as DRL's and be able to be turned on via a switch as well but i'll have to compromise if it's a DIY thing and just go with the switch only option.

From the relay that red goes to the battery. Understood
The Black goes to ground. Understood
Follow one of the wires to the switch and from that switch the black one goes to ground again. Understood
The blue one can go to either your low beam wire or a 12V when ignition is on wire. One would allow you turn on the fog lights any time. One would allow you to turn on the fog lights only when the car is on

Would I be able to just run the blue one into a fusetap fuse (into the accessory lights fuse) in my fusebox under my dash? That way I don't have to splice into any of the car's circuitry?
Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #4

Should be fine to tap it into the accesory fuse yep. As long as it's giving that 12V.

What car is this that it's going on? I can try and come up with something to run it as DRL, might be a little more difficult, but doesn't hurt to see what I can come up with.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

1998 Acura 1.6EL premium edition.

No worries it'll be good enough that I can get the fogs working lol, thanks boss .
Old 04-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Your Acura will have some spare 'slots' in the fuse panel that will supply 12volts positive. There will also be one that turns on when the park lights are on. You can use any of those to supply power to your switch.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #7

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

yeah exams are over so i'll be looking into doing the fogs depending on how they look.

i did order some LED's for some underdash/footwell lighting that i'll be attempting so i'll definitely update1