REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 04-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Is Exedy Stage 1 clutch good???

hi guys,

its time for me to have my clutch replace on my 1.6el. The OEM one is a little too soft for me. I decide to go something more stiff then oem but not too stiff as racing clutch. I am thinking to get Stage 1 exedy and exedy lighten flywheel.

What do you guys think? Or any recommendation??
Advertisement
FERIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERIO View Post
hi guys,

its time for me to have my clutch replace on my 1.6el. The OEM one is a little too soft for me. I decide to go something more stiff then oem but not too stiff as racing clutch. I am thinking to get Stage 1 exedy and exedy lighten flywheel.

What do you guys think? Or any recommendation??
I read online it has a good feel to it not to stiff, what place sells exedy thinking of getting the Oem version
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

the stiffness for the most part is attributed to the pressure plate.
so you can pay for a cheaper oe clutch that doesn't bite as well as a stage 1 and just get a heavier pressure plate.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

but the clutch disc is made with a stronger and better quality so it grips betters
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
LKY
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

i have exedy stage 1 right now on my ek hatch...stiff..hmmm same as oem clutch to me.but grips great
LKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

you should go for the Advanced Clutch (ACT)brand. I think they are more reliable in their business and is easier to obtain.

The flywheel from ACT is good as well. But I think you should be aware of what you are getting into. With a light flywheel, you will be stalling the motor more, taking off from a stop. How many km are you getting on the clutch? or is it not worn out?

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKY View Post
i have exedy stage 1 right now on my ek hatch...stiff..hmmm same as oem clutch to me.but grips great

this is what i want to heard...

thank you so much...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overseas Auto1 View Post
you should go for the Advanced Clutch (ACT)brand. I think they are more reliable in their business and is easier to obtain.

The flywheel from ACT is good as well. But I think you should be aware of what you are getting into. With a light flywheel, you will be stalling the motor more, taking off from a stop. How many km are you getting on the clutch? or is it not worn out?
ACT.. better than Exedy?? let me do some more research on it..

my friend told me a lighter flywheel will Rev up faster. I didnt know there is disadvantage.

my ride has close to 170,000km right now. I guess it time, Isnt it??
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
lightened flywheel = less rotational mass, so yes u will rev up faster. at the same time, less rotational mass means revs fall faster.

higher chance of stalling just means because of the lack of rotational mass, once the components all meet together, the revs will fall, but with a lightened fly, it will fall a bit faster, running the chance that u dont have enough revs to keep the engine going. you just learn to work the clutch better.

i had an exedy stage 1 on my prelude, felt fine. ACT isnt a bad brand either. the difference is ACT has more selection on the pressure plate. so u can get an street clutch with a heavy duty pressure plate.

most clutch kits come with the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and an alignment tool.

to check if u need a new clutch, drop it into 3rd and try to take off. if u can manage to get the car moving, the clutch is still good. if u notice a fair amount of slipping and basically the revs going higher and higher but the car is not moving at all, then u need to look at getting a new clutch.

Quote:

my friend told me a lighter flywheel will Rev up faster. I didnt know there is disadvantage.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I have an Exedy Stage I clutch in my Corolla GTS track car. It's a little stiffer than OEM but definitely not a problem on the street. I drive the car to and from the track so I wanted something that wasn't going to be an issue.
apharmdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
I have a Greddy stage 1 with a Prolight flywheel on my Civic Hatch with a B16 and its a great combo.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:

light weight flywheels are AWESOME

yea there's a chance you'd be more prone to stalling, but really it's not an issue, there isn't that much of a difference from a stand still, but you can feel the difference in acceleration and deceleration

honestly the only disadvantage is that you have to keep your foot on the accelerator a bit more because it's more prone to slow down when you let off, which can lead to slightly less fuel economy. but worth it IMO
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #13

Thank you so much guys.

I guess this would be the route I go..

ths again..
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
personally, the best route while retaining ur stock crank shaft is to get a lightened flywheel + heavy duty plate + stage 1 clutch (basically better than stock) or whatever equivalent to ur hp needs. on the other end, i would go with a lightened or even underdrive crank pulley w/ harmonic balancer (basically a thick rubber mount to keep from too much wabble and vibration)

this will free up the most hp out of ur engine (ur not really making any more hp, but freeing up what may be lost)

loved this setup, u rev up way faster, u just learn to drop the clutch at a slightly higher rpm. and u learn to shift a bit faster as the revs drop faster between shifts. also u learn that ur car takes a bit more effort to keep at higher speeds, but sure revs up to those speeds faster.

the heavy duty pressure plate is so u dont accidentally dump the clutch everytime cuz its so pedal feels so light weight. also provides more grip!

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote