REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   How often do you actually use Nav? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/573195-how-often-do-you-actually-use-nav.html)

westcoastgsr 04-22-2009 08:19 PM

How often do you actually use Nav?

Im contemplating getting a Nav option on a new car. I'm just not sure if I'm going to use it enough to be worth it. I mean I know where where I am almost anywhere in Metro Vancouver. Maybe 5 times a year I'll go to Seattle or somewhere in the interior but I never really get lost (if I do I'll ask or pull out a map). I just wondering to those who have Navi was it one of those "Man I dont know how I lived without Nav" situations?

saveth 04-22-2009 08:28 PM

by your post it looks like you already made up your mind. Only you will know if you need it or not. What i did was save the money and bought a gps cell phone. I still only used gps a couple times.

Culture_Vulture 04-22-2009 08:43 PM

I grew up pretty much looking at maps and finding my way around without nav.

The car that I drive now doesn't have a nav either, and I could get around just fine; and if I ever get lost, all I need to do is grab a map.

Having said that though, having a nav system is kinda nifty, but to me, it's more of a bonus option if I could afford one.

asian_XL 04-22-2009 08:46 PM

never, nav is a bitch to use....it takes a long time to input the address and it rarely provide you the fastest/best way to drive.

I use a handheld now, much faster...and carry it around.

DavidNguyen 04-22-2009 08:52 PM

if u do decide to get NAV. why not go for an aftermarket one. either hand held or one of them In-dash. much cheaper and better than Factory Nav's

icemiko 04-22-2009 09:40 PM

I bought a portable gps and I only use it like 5 times a year? haha

shenmecar 04-22-2009 10:11 PM

i doubt nav is really neccessary. its just an option for those just in case situations when ur lost at night in an unfamiliar place =P

keifun 04-22-2009 10:18 PM

old school paper maps for me.

Berzerker 04-22-2009 10:19 PM

Garmin on my cell phone ftw! Turn by turn and it does fastest route or shortest disantance its pretty sweet.

Berz out.

1990TSI 04-22-2009 10:30 PM

being a real man 'and' not asian, I'm pretty good with directions. I can even find an address in richmond with just a mapquest printout from home.

I've always wandered about people with nav, especially when it comes to the price!

seriously, dealerships must love selling nav packages to retards haha

MarkyMark 04-22-2009 10:37 PM

I think a lot of people get navi because it's part of the "premium" package and they want the car loaded, rather than the fact that they will probably rarely ever use it.

wahyinghung 04-22-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1990TSI (Post 6393609)
being a real man 'and' not asian, I'm pretty good with directions. I can even find an address in richmond with just a mapquest printout from home.
I've always wandered about people with nav, especially when it comes to the price!
seriously, dealerships must love selling nav packages to retards haha

That's what I did before as well (I prefer Google Maps instead) and occasionally nowadays since I just got a Garmin portable GPS earlier this year and i'll probably opt with third party ones like Garmin, Tom Tom etc..instead of an built in car nav system even though it does look nice, maybe even larger screen compared to third party ones and matching your cars interior etc.....

!Aznboi128 04-22-2009 11:11 PM

sometimes a lot of people get nav for the screen.

I got the f90bt in my car, one of Pioneer's double din unit. I hardly use the navi function. But it helped me navigate thru some places during traffic jams/accidents

elkayem 04-22-2009 11:19 PM

I ever only use it once for every place then I remember how to get there the next time I go.

I actually like the Navi, rather have it than not now.

You sometimes might not know every small street there is in Vancouver, and it's really useful when you get fucked over by those one way roads/no left turns in Downtown.

b-dub 04-23-2009 01:44 AM

I thought Nav was a waste of money back in the day, but since I've had one car with it, I want all my cars to have it now, and all the car's I've bought since the first one has Nav in it.

twitchyzero 04-23-2009 01:51 AM

for me it's not useful enough in Metro Vancouver

If i lived in LA that's different story

orange7 04-23-2009 01:51 AM

If money is not an issue, then i don't see why the navi option should be left out IMO. In saying that, I've used my third party portable navi ~50 times a year to look for some very specific adresses, such as resturants, and when I'm travelling new roads. I guess a navi is very benificial for me since I'm too god dam lazy to search and print the directions using Google map. I think out of all the times I've used my navi, only 5 times I was actually lost at night and was unable to ask for direction. For those 5 times, where I would have been totally screwed without my navi, I found my navi to be a life saver. I'm actually very glad that I bought one during 07 boxing day sale. Then again, my experience may not apply to you since you have to take into an account that I'm always finding myself travelling roads that I'm unfamiliar with. So to conclude this, since money didn't grow on my balls I didn't have the dilema of choosing navi or not, but I am very thankful that I bought a cheap third party one even though I've barely used it. If you ask me if I would buy the navi option if I could travel back in time with some cash, I would probably say no because I would rather save the money and buy a cheap aftermarket one. However, If I was loaded like Hyde, then I would so buy one not because it's better than a $100 navi from staple but because it matches the car's layout. I guess this whole topic really boils down to the money issue.

mmmk 04-23-2009 02:57 AM

to be honest, if you know your way around metro vancouver...u don't need it.
in addition, u can use your smartphone (if u have one) to look for maps or u can search it up at home before u head out.

but here's the thing, i can't keep my eyes off my navi screen. i think u should get it, it's sweet!

hk20000 04-23-2009 03:16 AM

OEM screen FTFW.

Harvey Specter 04-23-2009 03:19 AM

Nope, never used nav in the last 2 cars I owned but I did get it in my 335i because of other features idrive has to offer.

Nightwalker 04-23-2009 03:51 AM

Used my GPS all the time, until some fuck stole it.

TypeRNammer 04-23-2009 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwalker (Post 6393897)
Used my GPS all the time, until some fuck stole it.

same:mad:

tool001 04-23-2009 08:42 AM

use it quite often. factory navi are integrated with most system in the car. its easier to find address, being bigger and all. i wouldn't get another car without it.

Carl Johnson 04-23-2009 09:44 AM

google map and find out my routes at home before i head out

hardly ever used navi in the car

StylinRed 04-23-2009 10:53 AM

once in a blue moon and not to guide me just to see where it is; if u dont know ur way around town yet you should quit driving