REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Weapon's Visibility (https://www.revscene.net/forums/573249-weapons-visibility.html)

PHO? 04-23-2009 09:39 AM

Weapon's Visibility

So lets say an officer pulls me over for speeding, once he approaches my vehicle, he see's a weapon such as a can of bear mace or samurai sword. And those two weapons were purchased legally at a local store and I'm legal enough to have possession of these weapons. Can anything happen to me? Would I get charged? You cab get a can of mace at sport check and a samurai sword could of been purcahsed for display. Thanks!

CRS 04-23-2009 10:27 AM

Why would you carry a samurai sword or bear mace with you on your daily ride?

Do you see ninja bears all the time?

http://practicalmadness.com/images/2...ninja_bear.jpg

If not, then I could see the cop getting a little shady about those items.

PHO? 04-23-2009 11:03 AM

I don't carry those item at all. I'm just saying what if coincidently I have that on me at the time i got pulled over

zulutango 04-23-2009 11:42 AM

If I stopped you and saw two weapons in plain sight, we would be having a chat, with you in handcuffs for offier safety, until things were investigated further. If you are legally entitled to have these, driving with them readily available like that would be major cause of concern. Why not transport them locked in the trunk? As to what happened after that, the actual circumstances could vary from you being told to lock them in your trunk & leave...to you being arrested for posession of weapons.

sho_bc 04-23-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6394217)
If I stopped you and saw two weapons in plain sight, we would be having a chat, with you in handcuffs for offier safety, until things were investigated further. If you are legally entitled to have these, driving with them readily available like that would be major cause of concern. Why not transport them locked in the trunk? As to what happened after that, the actual circumstances could vary from you being told to lock them in your trunk & leave...to you being arrested for posession of weapons.

Exactly that.

BNR32_Coupe 04-23-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHO? (Post 6394151)
I don't carry those item at all. I'm just saying what if coincidently I have that on me at the time i got pulled over

things like that should be in the trunk or similarly covered from plain view. same with liquor i think

ZiG-87 04-23-2009 12:06 PM

How would it be any different from having a legal gun in your car? If it's in your trunk, properly secured, and you are transporting it directly to or from the shooting range..

CRS 04-23-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiG-87 (Post 6394256)
How would it be any different from having a legal gun in your car? If it's in your trunk, properly secured, and you are transporting it directly to or from the shooting range..

Same thing. Locked and secured so you can't easily get at it.

Uncle Benz 04-23-2009 01:01 PM

Just from a common sense point of view, if you have any objects such as, weapons, alcohol, narcotics or object that can be classified as such, in the passenger cabin of your vehicle and which are clearly visible to an officer because they are in PLAIN sight, of course they would arouse suspicion and the officer would inquire about them. I can't think of any officer who would not inquire about them.

If everything checks out and the officer is satisfied everything is ok, there is no threat to anyone, or the weapons are not illegal then the person would not get charged. If things don't check out, well things can only go downhill for the person from there.

A few years back when I clerked at the Court house I came across a case where the police had pulled over a guy for speeding. When the officer approached the vehicle he noticed there were 6 cell phones on the front seat, a mini weight scale, a open duffel bag with cash inside, and a gun holster was visible when the guy opened the glove box to retrieve his insurance.
Can anyone say the officer should not inquire further into a stop as such?

In this case it turned out the guy was a known drug dealer who had been arrested before (multiple times). The bag contained $75,000.00 in cash all $20.00 bills. A search warrant was obtained for the guy's house and the search revealed $200,000.00 cash, a counterfit currency making machine, and what was described in the officer's notes as "a mini cocaine making factory".

fukkeneh240 04-23-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6394112)
Why would you carry a samurai sword or bear mace with you on your daily ride?

Do you see ninja bears all the time?

http://practicalmadness.com/images/2...ninja_bear.jpg

If not, then I could see the cop getting a little shady about those items.

ninja bears.. haha. sorry, but that just made my day. :haha:

zulutango 04-23-2009 01:37 PM

Added to my earlier posting...if those weapons were there.. "we, Mr Smith and Mr Wesson and I are not going to let you do that"....(love Dirty Harry...and yes I have a Model 29 44Mag. ). Expect to be staring at a 3rd "eye" if you make the Cop nervous.

PHO? 04-23-2009 02:13 PM

would be any different if the officer found those items in the bank trunk laying there? Any assumptions that the driver was hiding it from the officer. thanks for the input all

wing_woo 04-23-2009 02:54 PM

Weapons are supposed to be locked and stored in the trunk while being transported. If the officer asked you to open the trunk, then tell him what's in it before you open it so he knows what to expect. Of course, don't say it by saying "I have a weapon in my trunk!". Say something like, I am transporting some legally attained weapons which are currently in the trunk" or something along those lines so it won't sound like you're threatening the officer.

zulutango 04-23-2009 02:59 PM

If you are legally transporting a weapon then tell the Cop up front if he is about to search. Tell him exactly what you have and why and describe where it is so he can locate it. The less nervous they, the more up front you are, the less potential for problems.

johny 04-23-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 6394504)
Weapons are supposed to be locked and stored in the trunk while being transported. If the officer asked you to open the trunk,

firstly it's perfectly legal to carry anything legal in the front seat (except alcohol). and to the second question, my answer would be, no I won't open the trunk.

CRS 04-23-2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 6394570)
firstly it's perfectly legal to carry anything legal in the front seat (except alcohol). and to the second question, my answer would be, no I won't open the trunk.

Enjoy your ticket.

If you have nothing to hide, I don't see the problem here.

And no, I'm not going to stand for your BS "I'll take the freedom and the hit with ticket instead of having that right violated".

Go ahead, pay your fine. Do you really think the cop cares?

stutterr 04-23-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6394730)
Enjoy your ticket.

If you have nothing to hide, I don't see the problem here.

And no, I'm not going to stand for your BS "I'll take the freedom and the hit with ticket instead of having that right violated".

Go ahead, pay your fine. Do you really think the cop cares?

Thats completely ignorant of you sir. Why would I not defend my rights and freedoms that my grandfather fought to provide me with. I defend and follow my rights to a tee. You should do. They have to learn to follow the rules that they uphold. The officer should care. Its his job. He shouldn't be abusing his position in power. I would hope that he is dilligent and acts with care when issuing a ticket. I hope this attitude starts to get phased out. For example just the many flaws coming out in the RCMP. I am sure the problems they are facing happens at any and every law enforcement unit in the country.

nipples 04-23-2009 05:47 PM

Unless I'm mistaken...i thought swords were illegal. Isnt it a fixed blade weapon greater than (i think the limit is) 4"?

Unless you're talking about those fake ones that can't cut even butter.

But I must say...CRS' response was gold.
"do you encounter ninja bears on a daily basis" hHAHAHAHAHAHa

impactX 04-23-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutterr (Post 6394763)
Why would I not defend my rights and freedoms that my grandfather fought to provide me with.

Sweet, your grandfather is Pierre Trudeau?

CRS 04-23-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutterr (Post 6394763)
Thats completely ignorant of you sir. Why would I not defend my rights and freedoms that my grandfather fought to provide me with. I defend and follow my rights to a tee. You should do. They have to learn to follow the rules that they uphold. The officer should care. Its his job. He shouldn't be abusing his position in power. I would hope that he is dilligent and acts with care when issuing a ticket. I hope this attitude starts to get phased out. For example just the many flaws coming out in the RCMP. I am sure the problems they are facing happens at any and every law enforcement unit in the country.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'd thought to have a laugh before I point out the hypocrisy in your post.

If you weren't being the asshole who thinks they are clever with the law and giving the officer a hard time, do you really think he would do the same to you? Think about it. If you give the officer a hard time, what makes you think he won't do the same to you? Because it is your right? Well, it is HIS right to give you the ticket.

Abusing power? How about just being stupid and pushing the officers hand. Do you know how many shady people officers have to deal with on a daily basis? Do you really want to add to that and cause the officer to have even more suspicion?

johny 04-23-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impactX (Post 6394825)
Sweet, your grandfather is Pierre Trudeau?

are you someone implying he gave us rights? our grandparents should have kicked his butt too. he took many away.

impactX 04-23-2009 08:14 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...s_and_Freedoms

CRS 04-23-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 6394971)
are you someone implying he gave us rights? our grandparents should have kicked his butt too. he took many away.

Yeah, terrible guy... That Trudeau... Just terrible.

:rolleyes:

nipples 04-24-2009 12:22 AM

trudeau gave me ''natural cures they dont want you to know about''....a book worth less than the paper its written on!!

underscore 04-24-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nipples (Post 6394771)
Unless I'm mistaken...i thought swords were illegal. Isnt it a fixed blade weapon greater than (i think the limit is) 4"?

Unless you're talking about those fake ones that can't cut even butter.

But I must say...CRS' response was gold.
"do you encounter ninja bears on a daily basis" hHAHAHAHAHAHa

I think carrying a blade greater than 4" is illegal, as well as having it fully concealed. possession of a sword seems to be legal, although for transportation I think your best bet is to keep it locked in its scabbard somehow, or locked in a container, and stored in the trunk.

edit: according to some googling, any length of fixed blade knife/sword is legal, however it has to be used as a tool. anything carried for self defense/as a weapon is illegal. so if you're hunting you can have a nice big knife, but if you're running around Vancouver with an 8" hunting knife would be illegal as theres no way to use that as a tool in such a situation, thusly it becomes a weapon. anything with a folding blade must be under 4" or 6", not sure which. Anything fully concealed on your person is also illegal.

So a sword would be legal to have on display in your home, or at martial arts practice or something, but unless you're travelling to/from some place it could be used as a tool, the possession of it is illegal.