REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
The RS Anchorman

Plan B for global warming

There’s a drawing of Don Quixote tacked to the wall of David Keith’s University of Calgary office; one of Gustave Doré’s famous illustrations showing the aging knight flying backwards off his horse as his lance bends against the blade of a windmill. The 45-year-old environmental scientist purchased it as a self-mocking reward after the publication of his 2004 paper, “The influence of large-scale wind power on global climate.” Using computer modelling, Keith and his colleagues posited that wind energy might not be quite as green as envisioned, potentially changing climate on a worldwide scale as fields of turbines slow the winds, changing rainfall and the amount of moisture in the soil. Their conclusion that the much-touted benefits from wind farms might actually be outweighed by the costs didn’t meet with broad public approval. Keith’s email inbox quickly filled with hate messages, a rare trick for an academic.

Should the trend hold, the professor might want to start clearing space on his wall for a crucifix. The work Keith is engaged in now messes with nature itself, breaking some of the greatest taboos of the world’s environmental movement. Spurred by new data suggesting global warming is progressing faster, and at a much more profound level than even the worst-case scenarios, he is at the fore of a small group of scientists proposing a quick technological fix: a “Plan B” to slow climate change and cool the earth almost overnight via massive human interventions. Among their science-fiction-style ideas: the deployment of millions of lenses the size of doughnuts in geo-stationary orbit between the earth and the sun, the creation of vast banks of artificial clouds over the world’s oceans, covering deserts with reflective material, and Keith’s preferred solution—seeding the stratosphere with sulphate or other particles. All schemes designed to send a portion of the sun’s rays back into the cosmos, and buy politicians, business and the public time to finally get serious about cutting greenhouse gas emissions
Continued......
Long Read: http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/04/22/p...lobal-warming/
Advertisement
wahyinghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

I actully thought about this theroy a couple years back. (taking wind engery out of the air)

the 2nd paragraph is retarded though.

global warming doesn't even exist.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
I thought plan B was to drop a gigantic block of ice in the ocean, like they did in Futurama.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
I thought plan B was to drop a gigantic block of ice in the ocean, like they did in Futurama.
Shit. Great minds think alike.
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

I think their idea of deflecting the suns energy in order to slow or reverse global warming, a natural occurrence similar to global cooling (think ice age) is pretty cool but evidently it'd cost a lot. There's the issue to be considered with this though, such as interference with satellites in orbit and out of the earths orbit,
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

^^ the earth is currently cooling, not heating.... it's been going down for 5-10 years
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
^^ the earth is currently cooling, not heating.... it's been going down for 5-10 years
Yeah!!! Cause they stopped producing CFCs and CFCs killed the Ozone layer, which makes the Earth colder.
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
But Dr. Al Gore, phD in science, said global warming is real. I watched his video's on youtube, im convinced!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Global warming doesnt exist. If we start making the world cooler, it might start a chain reaction that no 1 can control. F'ing w/ mother nature is not wise

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

The Earth goes into cooling and heating spells. Global Warming is bullshit, it's all Politics.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

johny, q0192, eastwood, where were you guys when i was fending off rsx and fivedime in that other thread about global warming?! you guys are a little late