REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/computer-tech-gaming-electronics_32/)
-   -   Apple Gets Its Own Trojan Viruses for the First Time (https://www.revscene.net/forums/573425-apple-gets-its-own-trojan-viruses-first-time.html)

Manic! 04-24-2009 03:29 PM

Apple Gets Its Own Trojan Viruses for the First Time

Someone designed a trojan virus just for Mac's.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14950

InvisibleSoul 04-24-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

In reality, OS X is not much more or less secure than Windows Vista -- rather it is Apple's small market share that has protected it. Since Mac attacks would have to be custom-made, there just hasn't been much interest among Black Hats to attack them. Kevin Haley, a director of security response at Symantec, states, "The bad guys generally go toward the biggest target, what will get them the biggest bang for their buck."
Sums it up.

KingDeeCee 04-24-2009 09:29 PM

Too lazy to search it up, but why are Mac's fucking 10x as much as a windows operated system.

StylinRed 04-24-2009 10:58 PM

same reason monster cables are 10x monoprice and Bose satelite speakers 10x more than generic brand... bcuz of suckers

Simplex123 04-24-2009 11:18 PM

lol if i was a hacker i'd make a few viruses for macs just to piss them off :P

tgill 04-26-2009 07:17 AM

OSX is very vulnerable, there are tonnes of flaws that have been around for years that apple and most people have know about that apple is lazy to patch.
Luckily the people making these trojans and the likes have decided to leave apple alone.

Grandmaster TSE 04-26-2009 09:12 AM

haha, time to rub this into a few people's faces

underscore 04-26-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgill (Post 6398154)
OSX is very vulnerable, there are tonnes of flaws that have been around for years that apple and most people have know about that apple is lazy to patch.
Luckily the people making these trojans and the likes have decided to leave apple alone.

I'm not sure about trojans, but viruses for Macs have been around forever. there aren't a lot of them, but it's rather easy for them to get into Macs. I wonder how many Mac owners actually have viruses but are just too ignorant to even know and assume their computer is running slow for other reasons.

Mancini 04-27-2009 09:44 AM

The time is coming where Macs will hold sufficient market share to be a big target for viruses. The largely unprotected Mac population will be taken down in a short period of time and will need to run anti-virus and firewall programs just like the windows crowd.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. There's something notable about being the first one to pull it off on a grand scale.

Preemo 04-27-2009 10:52 AM

I just love how the Mac crowd is so ignorant. Following Steve Jobs around like he's got a carrot up his ass crack. They have a good product, damn good marketing and in the end, all the Windows bashing is frivolous.

Bort 04-28-2009 02:23 PM

doesn't sound like any of you have much first hand knowledge of osx, let alone comprimised a mac yourselves. sounds alot like bleated rhetoric.

unlike xp nothing can be auto installed, unlike vista the os is properly locked down without being intrusive and uselessly annoying. windows 7 may fix the crapulence but i'm not holding my breath. with osx you need to give all programs at least administrator, or even root access to install, which is basically the highest user level you can attain within the operating system, nothing can install without the user being stupid enough to give it the green light. as well osx being based on BSD kernal which is fundamentally more secure than anything MS has produced. the reason windows OS's are generally easier to "hack" into is that programs can often install themselves and attain a higher user level than you can attain yourself as a system administrator. hence the issue with rootkits, and other nasty bits of malware that are extremely difficult to remove even with administrator privileges. the viruses can easily attain higher privileges than MS allows it's own users.

i'm not saying osx is hack/virus proof, but you guys are really no different than the mac fanatics you claim to hate, you're just on the opposite side of the fence.

!LittleDragon 04-28-2009 05:59 PM

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=758

old article but shows OSX is 5x as vulnerable as Windows. What's worse is, at the time, Leopard was too new and Vista had been out for almost a year. It's basically Tiger vs XP+Vista. OSX had more security flaws than TWO supposedly easy to hack MS OS's put together...

JHuJHu 04-28-2009 07:51 PM

Good. Macs should die.

ienhz 04-28-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bort (Post 6401319)
doesn't sound like any of you have much first hand knowledge of osx, let alone comprimised a mac yourselves. sounds alot like bleated rhetoric.

unlike xp nothing can be auto installed, unlike vista the os is properly locked down without being intrusive and uselessly annoying. windows 7 may fix the crapulence but i'm not holding my breath. with osx you need to give all programs at least administrator, or even root access to install, which is basically the highest user level you can attain within the operating system, nothing can install without the user being stupid enough to give it the green light. as well osx being based on BSD kernal which is fundamentally more secure than anything MS has produced. the reason windows OS's are generally easier to "hack" into is that programs can often install themselves and attain a higher user level than you can attain yourself as a system administrator. hence the issue with rootkits, and other nasty bits of malware that are extremely difficult to remove even with administrator privileges. the viruses can easily attain higher privileges than MS allows it's own users.

i'm not saying osx is hack/virus proof, but you guys are really no different than the mac fanatics you claim to hate, you're just on the opposite side of the fence.

All I can say is: LOL

underscore 04-28-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bort (Post 6401319)

Never thought Steve Jobs would take the carrot out of his ass long enough to join RS.

even if you were right, most Mac users would be too ignorant in their belief of the "security" of OSX that they would instantly click yes to anything requesting installation because they think they can't possibly be threatened thus whatever just popped up must be legit.

Last year, at Pwn to Own, a brand new Macbook was hacked in under 10 minutes. That's right, 10 minutes to gain complete control of a brand new system due to a massive flaw in Safari (it's worse than the old IE). Definitely the easiest $10,000 that guy ever made. The year before I believe it was a flaw in Quicktime that yet again led to the Mac's demise.

mos_skeeto 04-28-2009 11:05 PM

^ underscore you're right that if someone's going to be an idiot on a mac they will still screw it up. Secunia's report on osx is actually quite scary

Mac have a fair share of vulnerabilities. http://secunia.com/advisories/product/96/ ... and then there is what really happens. based on being 'that dude that fixes computers' like so many of us on this forum... it's usually harder for a non-tech savvy computer user to end up with a messed up mac due to security issues. that's why I would still recommend osx for people who phone me every week asking if they accidentally downloaded a virus.

for everyone else just use the os you like more. (win/osx/linux/ect.) they all have their good points. i use osx for video/photo, linux to host my web server and windows for anything else.

iamon 04-29-2009 08:53 AM

I knew this day was coming, I am a mac user, but i have 4 pc's also. I have AV running on all my pc's and its about time that the mac world has been woken up and shown how vulnerable OSX is. I find the mac operating system a little too user friendly compared to windows, menu's are simple, less things you can dig around when something goes wrong.