REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 04-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Apple Gets Its Own Trojan Viruses for the First Time

Someone designed a trojan virus just for Mac's.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14950
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
In reality, OS X is not much more or less secure than Windows Vista -- rather it is Apple's small market share that has protected it. Since Mac attacks would have to be custom-made, there just hasn't been much interest among Black Hats to attack them. Kevin Haley, a director of security response at Symantec, states, "The bad guys generally go toward the biggest target, what will get them the biggest bang for their buck."
Sums it up.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,107 Times in 271 Posts
Too lazy to search it up, but why are Mac's fucking 10x as much as a windows operated system.
KingDeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
same reason monster cables are 10x monoprice and Bose satelite speakers 10x more than generic brand... bcuz of suckers
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
lol if i was a hacker i'd make a few viruses for macs just to piss them off :P
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

OSX is very vulnerable, there are tonnes of flaws that have been around for years that apple and most people have know about that apple is lazy to patch.
Luckily the people making these trojans and the likes have decided to leave apple alone.
tgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #7

haha, time to rub this into a few people's faces

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #8

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgill View Post
OSX is very vulnerable, there are tonnes of flaws that have been around for years that apple and most people have know about that apple is lazy to patch.
Luckily the people making these trojans and the likes have decided to leave apple alone.
I'm not sure about trojans, but viruses for Macs have been around forever. there aren't a lot of them, but it's rather easy for them to get into Macs. I wonder how many Mac owners actually have viruses but are just too ignorant to even know and assume their computer is running slow for other reasons.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The time is coming where Macs will hold sufficient market share to be a big target for viruses. The largely unprotected Mac population will be taken down in a short period of time and will need to run anti-virus and firewall programs just like the windows crowd.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. There's something notable about being the first one to pull it off on a grand scale.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

I just love how the Mac crowd is so ignorant. Following Steve Jobs around like he's got a carrot up his ass crack. They have a good product, damn good marketing and in the end, all the Windows bashing is frivolous.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

doesn't sound like any of you have much first hand knowledge of osx, let alone comprimised a mac yourselves. sounds alot like bleated rhetoric.

unlike xp nothing can be auto installed, unlike vista the os is properly locked down without being intrusive and uselessly annoying. windows 7 may fix the crapulence but i'm not holding my breath. with osx you need to give all programs at least administrator, or even root access to install, which is basically the highest user level you can attain within the operating system, nothing can install without the user being stupid enough to give it the green light. as well osx being based on BSD kernal which is fundamentally more secure than anything MS has produced. the reason windows OS's are generally easier to "hack" into is that programs can often install themselves and attain a higher user level than you can attain yourself as a system administrator. hence the issue with rootkits, and other nasty bits of malware that are extremely difficult to remove even with administrator privileges. the viruses can easily attain higher privileges than MS allows it's own users.

i'm not saying osx is hack/virus proof, but you guys are really no different than the mac fanatics you claim to hate, you're just on the opposite side of the fence.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=758

old article but shows OSX is 5x as vulnerable as Windows. What's worse is, at the time, Leopard was too new and Vista had been out for almost a year. It's basically Tiger vs XP+Vista. OSX had more security flaws than TWO supposedly easy to hack MS OS's put together...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Good. Macs should die.

O o
/Ż/___________________________ _ __/
| SHOOP DA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!
\_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ Ż ŻŻ\
JHuJHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post
doesn't sound like any of you have much first hand knowledge of osx, let alone comprimised a mac yourselves. sounds alot like bleated rhetoric.

unlike xp nothing can be auto installed, unlike vista the os is properly locked down without being intrusive and uselessly annoying. windows 7 may fix the crapulence but i'm not holding my breath. with osx you need to give all programs at least administrator, or even root access to install, which is basically the highest user level you can attain within the operating system, nothing can install without the user being stupid enough to give it the green light. as well osx being based on BSD kernal which is fundamentally more secure than anything MS has produced. the reason windows OS's are generally easier to "hack" into is that programs can often install themselves and attain a higher user level than you can attain yourself as a system administrator. hence the issue with rootkits, and other nasty bits of malware that are extremely difficult to remove even with administrator privileges. the viruses can easily attain higher privileges than MS allows it's own users.

i'm not saying osx is hack/virus proof, but you guys are really no different than the mac fanatics you claim to hate, you're just on the opposite side of the fence.
All I can say is: LOL
ienhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #15

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort View Post

Never thought Steve Jobs would take the carrot out of his ass long enough to join RS.

even if you were right, most Mac users would be too ignorant in their belief of the "security" of OSX that they would instantly click yes to anything requesting installation because they think they can't possibly be threatened thus whatever just popped up must be legit.

Last year, at Pwn to Own, a brand new Macbook was hacked in under 10 minutes. That's right, 10 minutes to gain complete control of a brand new system due to a massive flaw in Safari (it's worse than the old IE). Definitely the easiest $10,000 that guy ever made. The year before I believe it was a flaw in Quicktime that yet again led to the Mac's demise.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:05 PM   #16

^ underscore you're right that if someone's going to be an idiot on a mac they will still screw it up. Secunia's report on osx is actually quite scary

Mac have a fair share of vulnerabilities. http://secunia.com/advisories/product/96/ ... and then there is what really happens. based on being 'that dude that fixes computers' like so many of us on this forum... it's usually harder for a non-tech savvy computer user to end up with a messed up mac due to security issues. that's why I would still recommend osx for people who phone me every week asking if they accidentally downloaded a virus.

for everyone else just use the os you like more. (win/osx/linux/ect.) they all have their good points. i use osx for video/photo, linux to host my web server and windows for anything else.

Last edited by mos_skeeto; 04-28-2009 at 11:14 PM.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #17
I don't get it

I knew this day was coming, I am a mac user, but i have 4 pc's also. I have AV running on all my pc's and its about time that the mac world has been woken up and shown how vulnerable OSX is. I find the mac operating system a little too user friendly compared to windows, menu's are simple, less things you can dig around when something goes wrong.
iamon is offline   Reply With Quote