REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,341 Times in 5,649 Posts
so they actually do the auction on every single item?

thats retarded who's gonna wait around
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #27
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
I went last year and it was a complete waste of time. Your time is worth something. The money you save after you figure in the premium, taxes, etc. does not equate to any real savings. If you like crowds and watching people go nuts, it's good entertainment, I guess.

I stayed for the entire day last year and I didn't buy a thing. I ended up shaking my head at how stupid some people were. Lots of stuff went for more than retail. The auction houses love it when the police auction takes place - it brings out the noobs. Honestly, save your ten bucks and quench your curiosity some other way. Unless you have nothing better to do. Having said all that, there were some things that went for a decent price, but they were few and far between. Not worth the aggravation.

EDIT: OK, if you have never been to an auction before, I guess it would be a good learning experience. Just remember to figure in the buyer's premium and don't get caught up in the hype or get involved in a bidding war. Know what you are buying. Check the brand and remember that most of this stuff comes with no warranty. No returns. All sales are final.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #28
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Anyone going to the police auction today at able auctions today??? any sick bikes and how much are the winning bids?
carliker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #29
RS controls my life!

FWIW:

Went a few years ago and my neck got tired from SMH so much.

Anything that's red, sporty, and looks expensive gets bid up fast. Funnier yet, so many cases of bottom barrel CCM Road Bike (worth $300 at Canadian Tire NEW) would get bid up to $500 + tax (GST/PST) not to mention a handling fee.
It's insane - the auction atmosphere gets people's adrenaline going and your hopes of spotting a rare deal dissipates fast especially anything with a half decent brand.

Not to mention the line up just to get in. Between that and having pay taxes on top - better off getting a deal off CL/Buysell IMO.
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 AM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,026 Posts
Nope.

I went last year, and any decent bike gets bid up to insane prices. I had my eye on a single gear worth $350 new. It was bid up to $700. I was interested in another hybrid bike worth maybe around $650, it was going for $950 when I gave up.

There was a titanium/carbon race bike there though, retails for around $6000 and it went for $2800. That, was a steal.

I think unless you have your eye on a BIG ticket item, and I do mean BIG, where the average joe wouldn't think about shelling out for, then yeah you might find something. If you are looking at something reasonable, don't bother.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #31
Fanboy

Everyone thinks they're modern day storage wars/bidding war experts.