REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Good MMA gym

Anybody have an experience of good MMA gyms in the Richmond / Vancouver area? I've seen boxing and kickboxing at Sports Central but I want the whole thing, like BJJ, Muay Thai / Kick boxing, grappling / wrestling etc ... I also heard about Franco's it's nice and cheap but the reviews are contradicting, some say it's good some say they would never go back.

Anybody have any experience with any current gym or heard of any from friends? Got any idea how much it costs?
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

A friend of mine trains at Creative Fighter's Guild where he takes classes for BJJ. I believe they also teach Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, Judo, and some other arts. The dojo is nice but quite pricey...

Edit: I also believe they teach actual MMA classes as well.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
A friend of mine trains at Creative Fighter's Guild where he takes classes for BJJ. I believe they also teach Muay Thai, Jeet Kune Do, Judo, and some other arts. The dojo is nice but quite pricey...

Edit: I also believe they teach actual MMA classes as well.

I went to their site, looks like they have MMA as well and it's in richmond. Any idea how much is "pricey"?
Old 05-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

theres a gym my friend works at and trains at called WKX its in surrey bc scottroad
pretty good gym
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine50 View Post
theres a gym my friend works at and trains at called WKX its in surrey bc scottroad
pretty good gym
Hmmm I can't find anything on WKX, any idea what they train on or if they go by any other name? How's the pricing as well?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancityPimp View Post
I went to their site, looks like they have MMA as well and it's in richmond. Any idea how much is "pricey"?
I had their form a while back, but I lost it. From what I can remember, the cheapest fee per month was around $90-98 with an 11 month or 15 month commitment. It was around $130+, if I remember correctly, for a 4 month commitment. Of course, you have the option of paying everything up front...i think my friend paid around $3,000 for a year and a half? I remember it being quite steep.

I'd be able to give you more accurate information if I still had the sheet with me. Quite pricey, but quite a reputable gym.

And just to let you know, if you buy any merchandise from them, you get 2 weeks of classes for free (basically 4 free beginner's classes). I bought a pair of shin pads from them a few months ago...so I'll probably take them up on their free offer when I have the time.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
I had their form a while back, but I lost it. From what I can remember, the cheapest fee per month was around $90-98 with an 11 month or 15 month commitment. It was around $130+, if I remember correctly, for a 4 month commitment. Of course, you have the option of paying everything up front...i think my friend paid around $3,000 for a year and a half? I remember it being quite steep.

I'd be able to give you more accurate information if I still had the sheet with me. Quite pricey, but quite a reputable gym.

And just to let you know, if you buy any merchandise from them, you get 2 weeks of classes for free (basically 4 free beginner's classes). I bought a pair of shin pads from them a few months ago...so I'll probably take them up on their free offer when I have the time.

Awesome, thanks for the info bro, helps a lot.

If anybody knows of another place let me know I'd like to do some research before I actually take a class.

Anybody hear about DynamicMMA or MMA Dynamics or something in Vancouver?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #8
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Dynamic MMA is a good gym.

A bunch of us RS guys go there but I'm taking a break from it for now.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Dynamic MMA is a good gym.

A bunch of us RS guys go there but I'm taking a break from it for now.
How is it for beginners? I checked out the site and there's really nothing for beginners, it's for "all levels". My concern is, will it be hard for a beginner to get started there since there really isn't a beginners class?

Another thing is, in some of the pics it looks really packed in there, how many guys do you usually train with?

I workout at Sports Central and I've seen that big white guy train there before, just wondering is the only gym in Vancouver or do you guys train in Richmond as well?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
How is it for beginners? I checked out the site and there's really nothing for beginners, it's for "all levels". My concern is, will it be hard for a beginner to get started there since there really isn't a beginners class?

Another thing is, in some of the pics it looks really packed in there, how many guys do you usually train with?

I workout at Sports Central and I've seen that big white guy train there before, just wondering is the only gym in Vancouver or do you guys train in Richmond as well?
yeah, theres not really a beginners class
but i like how they throw you into the mix of things from the beginning
you might be missing a few fundamentals from the lessons, but you can always get one of the guys to teach you a few basics when its sparring time

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
Drk
I don't get it

Yea Dynamic is a cool place, Ive been training there for a while. All the guys you train with are nice and it has a good atmosphere. As Ch28 said a bunch of RS guys train there, but for some reason I can never figure out who you guys are, someone needs to just yell out RS.NET during one of the classes.
Drk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Hmmm I can't find anything on WKX, any idea what they train on or if they go by any other name? How's the pricing as well?
wkx kickboxing (thats what i type on google and i saw a site) but i have no idea about pricing, i just know some of my friends train there
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Retired Mod

After a quick search:
http://www.richmondmma.ca/
http://www.infighting.ca/infighting-classes/
http://www.mmavancouver.com/
http://www.universalmma.com
http://revolutionfightteam.com/
http://www.coquitlammixedmartialarts.com/
http://www.jiujitsulife.com/

I think berz teaches this kind of stuff. Pm him
abinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
someone needs to just yell out RS.NET during one of the classes.
This. LOL
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
A lot of my friends who go to the Creative Fighters Guild has these free 1 week passes now, if you know someone going there you could ask them for one. I think that you could drop by any one of their classes for free to see if you like it or not. They don't charge you for the first class, then if you like it you could ask them for the price.
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #16
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
A lot of my friends who go to the Creative Fighters Guild has these free 1 week passes now, if you know someone going there you could ask them for one. I think that you could drop by any one of their classes for free to see if you like it or not. They don't charge you for the first class, then if you like it you could ask them for the price.
Almost all gyms offer a 1 week trial.

The only one that I know of that doesn't offer that is Universal MMA (Marcus Soares/Denis Kang's gym). They offer 1 class instead of a week.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote