REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
Rev
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Motor Trend Files Chapter 11

And you wonder how people always gets free subs in the US or $3-5 a year - the glossing printing & mailing alone would be a huge loss leader for any company!! Hope Sports Compact Car is spun off and not affected - despite their pages downsizing I still remember when they first came out and all their wacky tests (ie. stripping Sentra into a 13 second car lol)

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...to-chapter-11/

Quote:
The publishing industry is hurting, and carmakers are hurting — so it’s not a great time to be publishing magazines about cars. That helps explain why Source Interlink, the media company that publishes Motor Trend and Hot Rod magazines, is taking a pit stop in bankruptcy protection.

Under a reorganization plan that lenders have already agreed to, the company said it expects to eliminate $1 billion in debt and be out of bankruptcy protection in 35 days. That wouldn’t be a land speed record, but it is still remarkably fast for a billion-dollar-plus Chapter 11 case.

Source Interlink has filed what is known as a “prepackaged” bankruptcy, meaning that creditors entitled to vote have already agreed to support the restructuring plan.

The company’s lenders would get all of its new stock, according to the plan it filed in bankruptcy court in Delaware.

Its existing equity owners, including affiliates of Ronald W. Burkle’s investment firm, Yucaipa Companies, will get nothing for their shares.

Current management will stay in place, and vendors will be paid in full for debt incurred before the filing, the company said.

Yucaipa took on $1.3 billion in debt to buy Motor Trend and a collection of other magazines and Web sites from Primedia in 2007. The recent decline in advertising spending, especially among automotive companies, as well as rising costs for raw materials has left it unable to service that debt, the company said in court filings.

Source Interlink reported assets of $2.4 billion and debt of $2 billion its Chapter 11 petition. Its equity owners include affiliates of Yucaipa, with a 48 percent stake, and Goldman Sachs, with a 7 percent stake, filings show.

The company is getting legal advice in the bankruptcy from Kirkland & Ellis and financial advice from Moelis & Company.
Advertisement
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

I bet they would actually be better off not having print at all. Stick with online.
Have free and paid content.
Arent a lot of print media companies not doing so great anymore?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
And you wonder how people always gets free subs in the US or $3-5 a year - the glossing printing & mailing alone would be a huge loss leader for any company!! Hope Sports Compact Car is spun off and not affected - despite their pages downsizing I still remember when they first came out and all their wacky tests (ie. stripping Sentra into a 13 second car lol)

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...to-chapter-11/
SCC has been gone for a while
Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
SCC and Turbo were both turfed, and the best of both mags came online with Modified.
In fact, Modified is pretty good lately. Sad about Source Interlink though. They over extended themselves by buying out Peterson, and when the financial turmoil hit, all they could do was watch as their profits fell.

Sad situation, especially when they killed my SCC.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #5
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
a lot of newspapers are heading in the same direction since so many people get their information online,
sucks for the people that still read them though

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Hope Car and Driver won't go under, I still have half year subscription left from them.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote