REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #26
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
It was okay
Probably shouldn't have went with limited funds, but it turned out okay. Visa bill isn't that bad..probably.

Would I live here? Yes.
Can I do it right now? No.

Definiately comming back this summer, thats for sure.

ps: there sure are alot of Korean bbq places there.
Advertisement

Last edited by SpuGen; 05-24-2009 at 08:29 AM.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I lived in Sunnyvale for 4 years. I moved back to Vancouver this January.
I was working there with a TN Work Visa.
If it wasn't for needing to be closer to my GF and family being here in Vancouver, I would of never moved back here.

Norcal is much better than Vancouver IMO, the weather is better, people are friendlier with none of the Vancouver attitude, living expenses are overall cheaper than Vancouver, car scene is wayyyy larger and better, less taxes, and the rich people there are actually rich and not posers like in Vancouver. Easier to make money and save money.
The only that I find better in Vancouver by a large margin is that Vancouver has overall much better food

Majinhurricane: What you see on TV cannot and should not represent all of California. Most of the stuff you mentioned is Socal, which IMO is not nearly as good+cool as Norcal.
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #28
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I've been to alot of areas in the states, such as phoenix, glendale, tuscon, las vegas, portland, seattle, san fran etc...

Not a fan of strip malls.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #29
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Visiting a city/state is MUCH different than living in one.

Before moving to Norcal, I visited most of the major west coast cities in the USA as well.
It's the same thing with Vancouver - If anyone from around the world comes to visit Vancouver, they will think it's awesome, but if you live in Vancouver (or any major city for that matter) you will learn to "understand" the city more, with it's good points and bad points.
I personally think that Vancouver is a good city, but it has many major issues that need to be addressed
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Would you say the same about, say.. Dallas? LOL. Some suburbs are pretty horrific.

How was living in Silicon Valley? What did you do for fun? How far did you have to travel? Did you live close to your job?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #31
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
Visiting a city/state is MUCH different than living in one.

Before moving to Norcal, I visited most of the major west coast cities in the USA as well.
It's the same thing with Vancouver - If anyone from around the world comes to visit Vancouver, they will think it's awesome, but if you live in Vancouver (or any major city for that matter) you will learn to "understand" the city more, with it's good points and bad points.
I personally think that Vancouver is a good city, but it has many major issues that need to be addressed
Its true. I actually have quite a large group of ex-Vancouverites who brain-drained to the Bay Area right after finishing school and are quite happy there.
Speaking of the food btw, I've found that every Pho place I went to in SF was really consistent!
The other thing I LOVE about SF is that when you go clubbing, everyone seems to get along, unlike in Vancouver where lots of punk kids are looking for a fight.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #32

^
YES.
Instead of a group of the same people starting shit, you see a group of mixed people smashing bottles.

Drinks were helllllllllllllllllllla cheap too. A good night here would be $2-300. Down south it's $100-$200 for puke noms. Less watered down too
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #33
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 View Post
I lived in Sunnyvale for 4 years. I moved back to Vancouver this January.
I was working there with a TN Work Visa.
If it wasn't for needing to be closer to my GF and family being here in Vancouver, I would of never moved back here.

Norcal is much better than Vancouver IMO, the weather is better, people are friendlier with none of the Vancouver attitude, living expenses are overall cheaper than Vancouver, car scene is wayyyy larger and better, less taxes, and the rich people there are actually rich and not posers like in Vancouver. Easier to make money and save money.
The only that I find better in Vancouver by a large margin is that Vancouver has overall much better food

Majinhurricane: What you see on TV cannot and should not represent all of California. Most of the stuff you mentioned is Socal, which IMO is not nearly as good+cool as Norcal.
The weather is better? Buddy, I just got back from SF 2 days ago and it's freezing cold and windy there. I brought 2 pairs of shorts there and I couldn't make use of any of them. I had to wear a hoody from dusk till dawn, the moment I got back here, I had to change all my clothes to summer wear. SF should really be called the windy city..

friendlier people? cannot agree more. Vancouverites are just snobby as hell, small city with big attitudes.

living expenses? i beg to differ... try buying or renting a home there in a decent neighbourhood (sunset, millbrae, for example), it'll run u up over a million dollar for a house that's smaller than here... a one bedroom suite is over a 1000USD per month if you don't want to live in Oakland or Mission..

I do agree that it's easier to find jobs down there if you have LESS qualifications, and most at times, you do make more money down there, but I will disagree that it's easier to save as the cost of living in SF is significantly higher than Vancouver.

and yeah generally, food in NorCal is not as good as Vancouver, especially chinese food..
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I just came back yesterday night for a 4 days vacation.
it was very windy in SF everyday.

Very Nice City for my 1st time visit.
only stayed in SF downtown (nice) area for sightseeing & shopping.

Last edited by Bender Unit; 06-09-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Bender Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #35
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
It's really only windy if you're in the Bay Area. Otherwise, it's okay.

Shameless plug but anybody want to buy a BART transfer off me? It's good for $7. $5CDN and it's yours.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

LOL isn't the Bay Area SF + Oakland + SJ?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #37
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Sorry, I meant only the San Francisco Bay area and not its surrounding cities.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Spugen you ever go through with this? Or anyone else?
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #39
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I personally have been to SF and some other parts of NoCal a couple of times now and I love it. It has that west coast attitude and personality but quite possibly even more laid back. In general the weather is nicer too but the cost of living in the bay area is indeed very, very high. This is not an unknown though. Anyone who wants to live there should know that ahead of time. If you can deal with that, I think you could be living in one of the best cities in North America (if you enjoy the west coast style of living). North California is beautiful too and nothing like the cities of Chicago, New York, London, etc. I live in London currently and I realized after leaving Vancouver how much I love the west coast and the way of living there. Aside from Vancouver, the only other city I would consider living in is probably San Jose or San Francisco. And I am VERY particular about everything in a place where I am living.

But what they say is right. Unless you A) marry someone in the states or B) get sponsored, there is hardly a chance you will get to live in the US. So either find an American girl or get a good education that is highly desired in the US and start networking!
freesole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #40
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
^^i'm not disagreeing with you there, I just hate the lifestyle in the states (fastfood, highways, suv's, ghetto's, ebonics, mtv)
I think it really depends on where and how you live. If you move to the hood, you are most likely going to think it's ghetto. If you eat out all the time, you will tend to consume more fast food. Once again, it depends on where you live and how you are living your life.

I'm curious, where in the States did you used to live? I lived in California (East Bay and Long Beach) for 7-ish years and I don't see all of America being fast-food divulging, gas guzzling, ghetto-esque country. The way you are describing the "American lifestyle" is very stereotypical.

As for highways, most major cities in North America has a highway cutting through it. We are lucky to be in Vancouver, where we're highway free.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:06 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBroScientist View Post
Spugen you ever go through with this? Or anyone else?
Nope.
well.
not yet. hah.