REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
How I Mod your mother

Mac Mini RAM + HD

Hey, so I've got about zero computer knowledge. I picked up a used mac mini (intel dual core) last year

Anyway the machine is great, but I'd like a little more ram and more harddrive space.

Right now I think I have 1gb of ram, and only about 74gb or harddrive space total.

What kind or ram do I need? and do I need to buy it specifically from an authorized apple dealer?
Advertisement
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla

Last edited by !Yaminashi; 05-06-2009 at 07:18 PM.
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Probably the same as a PC. DDR2, and a SATA drive will do it. MAC and PC use the same parts now.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
http://www.applefritter.com/Mac_Mini_Take_Apart_Guide

It's not that easy taking the case apart!
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
How I Mod your mother

I wouldnt be doing this myself anyway, I'd take it somewhere to get it done.
I'd rather pay a little extra and have the piece of mind knowing it was done right, than risk the chance of me fucking something up
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #5
The RS Freebie guru

The only real chance of fucking something up is if you break something while opening the case. Replacing the RAM and HD is very straightforward.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

i just did the upgrade yesterday on my last gen mac mini. from 1gb ddr2-667 to 4gb ddr2-667 (~3gb usable due to memory addressing limits). it was ok - not easy not hard. the hardest part is prying out the case. i had no plastic putty knife so i just used a metal knife. scraped the hell out of the aluminum shell. bent many hooks and almost broke one while trying to forcefully pry it out. once the shell is off, its just a matter of screws.

my advice is: pry it with a plastic putty knife so you wont scratch anything. pry it slowly and gently. it'll come out eventually. or just go ask the genius @ apple for help.

any ddr2-667 sodimm will do. try and get matching ones so dual channel will work. for example, if you want to max out the ram, 2 of this will give you 4gb total. in your mac mini, only 3.3gb will work due to hardware limitation.
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...o&promoid=1006
any sata 2.5 inch drives will do. for max performance, a 7200rpm will definitely make your computer faster.

Last edited by rageguy; 05-07-2009 at 01:40 AM.
rageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
wrap the metal knife in electrical tape
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
How I Mod your mother

Thanks guys, when I upgrade my harddrive, do they take out the old one and put in the new one? I dont want to lose anything thats on there right now
Quote:
Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #9
The RS Freebie guru

I've upgraded a Mac Mini once, and I actually used the wire method of opening up the chassis. It takes a lot more preparation time, but it worked very well. No physical damage to the case whatsoever...

http://headwedge.com/wordpress/2006/...i-wire-method/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Thanks guys, when I upgrade my harddrive, do they take out the old one and put in the new one? I dont want to lose anything thats on there right now
Yes, they have to take the old one out to put the new one in. One option would be to clone the old hard drive to the new one... otherwise you can backup your files now and install fresh on the new one and copy files over afterwards...
Old 05-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Yes you need to take out the old drive, but you can clone the whole drive and don't need to install OS X again.
You will need a cheap USB case for the old drive. Then you can copy all the data over with Disk Utility. Another cool thing is that you can boot the computer off the USB drive if you need.

I don't recommend doing the wire method, just buy the putty knife it's way easier and saves a lot of time.
mrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #11
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I got myself a mac mini and I upgraded my ram and hd myself

i use a metal spatula, and it was quite easy ... lolz
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote