REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Men wedding attire - can I get away without a suit? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/575010-men-wedding-attire-can-i-get-away-without-suit.html)

Gnomes 05-07-2009 03:43 PM

Men wedding attire - can I get away without a suit?

As a guest to a Chinese wedding banquet, would everyone look at me funny if I opt to not wear a suit? I plan to wear a semi-formal sweater with a dress shirt underneath. I certainly dont want to disrespect the host if I were to do that.

This similar to what I sort of want to wear. Any suggestions to the color matchup?

Topic done. Thanks for the replies.

bcrdukes 05-07-2009 03:55 PM

This is Vancouver. Nobody will care. Expect people to dress like that, if not, worse.

sas 05-07-2009 04:50 PM

It doesn't hurt to ask the groom/bride. I know, some are super crazy (wedding pics etc..) in regards to dress code. I remember a friend of mine, made all her brides maid lose weight so they wouldn't look fat and ruin her wedding day pics.

I think your fine myself. You'd be in the same boat as ppl who wear suits with sleeves too long in my books, or dress shirts with a tie not tightened. That is a popular look I notice at Cell phone booths in the mall.

misteranswer 05-07-2009 04:52 PM

drop the sweater.

liu13 05-07-2009 05:05 PM

you're going to wear that???

how come u dont want to wear a suit? at least wear a tie or you'll look like a waiter

SkinnyPupp 05-07-2009 07:17 PM

If it's at a Chinese seafood restaurant, you don't need to wear a suit, smart casual is fine. That said, I would drop the sweater. Make sure your shirt and pants are pressed, and wear some nice shoes and you'll be fine. Not everyone goes through life having to wear a suit and tie ;)

teaoh 05-07-2009 07:20 PM

i say just wear dress pants and a dress shirt. The dress shirt doesnt have to be tucked in and you dont have to wear a tie.

miss_crayon 05-07-2009 07:21 PM

^ the untucked shirt comes off as too casual in my mind

i say a dress shirt (tucked in) with a nice belt for your dress pants

Splmash 05-07-2009 07:30 PM

Drop the sweater and just wear a blazer. It's a wedding to honor the groom and the bride, you don't want to stand out and make it look like a day on the gold course.

If you insist on a sweater, find a darker one. It'll make you fit in more visually since you do not want to contrast yourself from everyone.

If you're still not certain, just give the couple a call.

Gnomes 05-07-2009 08:07 PM

How is this, would it be too weird?

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1...aceless.th.jpg

teaoh 05-07-2009 08:12 PM

lol thats terrible in my mind. Just LOSE THE SWEATER. I say i agree with ms.crayon the most

Splmash 05-07-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 6414278)

The belt is too informal. That sweater isn't intended to be worn over dress shirt like that. The pants are not pressed, and pick something that is more form fitting.

SkinnyPupp 05-07-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 6414278)

Ditch the sweater (it's May now, by the way!), get a better better belt, and press the pants

Simplex123 05-07-2009 09:24 PM

yeah man, no sweater.
just go with dress shirt + tie + black/white belt w/ simple buckle + black dress pants + dress shoes

Gnomes 05-07-2009 09:30 PM

Truth is... I have a suit but the matching pants is destroyed from an accident. I tried going around to find a matching shade of black but couldnt get it right. I was afraid people might pick out the discrepancy of color thus I opted to not wear a suit. Being a student and in debt, I dont really want to buy another suit yet. Anyways, here is my suit with mismatching pants:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5075/suitbpc.th.jpg

How bad of a taboo is mismatching suit/pants?
Thank you everyone here who replied. Very much appreciated.

_inwonderland 05-07-2009 09:50 PM

Imho, if I were to wear a mismatched suit/pants...I'd wear some that are very obviously contrasted...to let people know that I did it on purpose rather than because I lost the matching pants and tried to cover with a similar pair.

My sister got married last year and some people came in jeans and runners and honestly, the wedding party didn't even notice. The only reason I noticed was that I had to guide them to their table. Your outfit isn't too out there, so the wedding party would probably be too busy to even notice...unless they're people like sas mentioned.

Splmash 05-07-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnomes (Post 6414387)
Truth is... I have a suit but the matching pants is destroyed from an accident. I tried going around to find a matching shade of black but couldnt get it right. I was afraid people might pick out the discrepancy of color thus I opted to not wear a suit. Being a student and in debt, I dont really want to buy another suit yet. Anyways, here is my suit with mismatching pants:

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5075/suitbpc.th.jpg

How bad of a taboo is mismatching suit/pants?
Thank you everyone here who replied. Very much appreciated.

I agree with the guy above me. Wear something that is obviously different. If you have a pair of nice black jeans, or dark indigo, you can wear them. A clean pair of Chucks can work as well.

You can skip the blazer and just have thin suspenders over a white dress shirt(no tie)! it's in nowadays, y'know.

SkinnyPupp 05-07-2009 11:38 PM

Whatever you do, don't wear "chucks" to a wedding dinner.

Tapioca 05-08-2009 09:58 AM

As long as you don't out-dress the bride and groom, why wouldn't you go to a wedding looking your best? :confused:

If you don't have a suit you can wear or are too broke to buy a new suit (you should have at least one working suit anyway for ocassions such as these), then at least have a blazer and some slacks. A navy blazer is okay as long as it's with contrasting pants, like grey or a cream colour. For a shirt, you can never go wrong with plain white. Get a pair of interesting brown dress shoes and you're good to go.

If you're interested in standing out, you can wear a pocket square with your blazer or flash some cuff links. Going belt-less is okay - it takes the guesswork out of finding a matching belt and shoes.

Gt-R R34 05-08-2009 10:42 AM

I find that most people, depending on situation and who,

Wears less-formal stuff, unless required. Suit doesn't have to go

But a tie/shirt/dress pants are usually what most people wear. (some even ditching the tie for a sport blazer.

That being side, it depends on your wedding, does it have a dress code? some people specifically dont' want X time of clothing.

unit 05-08-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splmash (Post 6414515)
I agree with the guy above me. Wear something that is obviously different. If you have a pair of nice black jeans, or dark indigo, you can wear them. A clean pair of Chucks can work as well.

You can skip the blazer and just have thin suspenders over a white dress shirt(no tie)! it's in nowadays, y'know.

i would not attempt to wear jeans or chucks to a wedding.

SumAznGuy 05-08-2009 01:40 PM

How close are you to the bride/groom?

Family? Friend?

Most of the time, if you underdress no one will say shit to you, but don't think it went unnoticed.

Mostly, if you go underdressed, you will make yourself look bad. ie jeans and runners.

How would you feel if someone came to your wedding wearing jeans and runners?

And what is it with you and sweaters over a button shirt? Are you Zach Morris? Just go with a clean pressed pair of slacks and a clean pressed shirt. A nice pair of shoes and you are good to go, at the bare minimum.

Hell, if you dress GQ enough, maybe you will score yourself a brides maid or something. :thumbsup:

Sky_2000 05-08-2009 05:47 PM

how poor could you be to not be able to buy a suit? You can get at H&M suit for 100 bucks?!? Shit buy the suit wear it and then return it if your that poor.

Xnova 05-08-2009 09:34 PM

lol pop ur collar

liu13 05-08-2009 09:58 PM

wear a blazer, i hope u have one