REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

buying headers

alright
i havent dont anything to the car in a while so its time for headers
i was looking at brand names such as greddy , megan and dc, but i dont no if im down for paying close to 500$

has anybody had any really bad shit experience with ebay headers?
its weird because the same headers (generic) will be for sale but one is 50$ and the other is 100$ i dont really get how that works hah

anyhow i was looking at these two (links below) i guess i have nothing really to lose if its like 120 shipped for somedecent or half decent headers?

and because they are generic is it possible that they wont generate as much power and same sound?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/92-93-ACURA-INTEG...3A2%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Acura-Integra-92-...3A2%7C294%3A50

or is theres a "better" generic one on ebay let me know!
thanks!
Advertisement

1992 Black Acura Integra GS-R #470
kookoobird88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Honestly, I would stay away from an ebay header. Although the price may seem attractive, you're better off saving until you can get a 'middle of the road' (cost wise) header at least.

Companies like Skunk2, Greddy, DC, etc etc, all spend loads of time on research & development, as well as dyno testing their products to produce the most amount of hp possible. You won't get that from a ebay knock off. Sure it may look the same, but in most cases you're not getting the most out of that product. Not to mention in most cases those ebay parts are made with crappy materials, and may not fit as well as the more expensive one, or last as long.

I think you can get a good header for less than $500, or at least be able to get a good one + install for around that price.

Plus, I'm speaking from experience. I've ran both, and trust me, the more expensive header is worth it!
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #3

thanks man i actaully learnt a lot from that response

500 is a bit steep for me personally, i know the greddy one is 400 and something

i dont get how a brand name can generate more power than a generic? isnt it hard to screw up just some piping? or do some the pipes have bigger openings?

and how much extra power does a header really give you? i also heard it makes ur exhaust noticeably louder?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

I bought an ebay header for my 96 odyssey a couple of years ago. (accord header). Cost 45 for the header and another 45 to ship to point roberts. Was advertised like the headers you pointed out, T-304 stainless, CNC flange, etc, etc. Been using them ever since along with the hollow stainless steel resinator in place of the converter. (also from ebay).
Had no problems with the pipe or header. Only thing was the gasket that came with the header was not a good fit. The holes for the gasket (that fit around the exhaust studs) were too big. It would cause the gasket to block the exhaust port between the head and header. Had to use the oem gasket. The header itself, fit like a glove.
I thing i did notice is the exhaust got a little bit noisier when i installed the header. Then when i replaced the converter with the pipe, it got quite noticeably noisier. Not because any leaks, but because (i suspect) the walls of the pipe/header are thinner than the oem manifold and converter and aren't insulating the sound as well. Other than that there's been no drivability or mechanical problems with them.
But also, i've never had a name brand header so i can't compare the two.

Last edited by Puck Luck; 05-08-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Puck Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:10 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
usually ebay "HEADER" pipes are fine. but people find defects with welds, and poor fitment.

if it is a beat up car and just want to fuk around w/ it, then go get it
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #6

It's the old saying... you get what you pay for. The fact that you have a GSR, go with the good stuff

I would call around to a few shops and see what they suggest. It can't hurt. Most shops will give you a couple different options. Plus, most of the decent shops around here won't sell you a garbage part.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck View Post
I thing i did notice is the exhaust got a little bit noisier when i installed the header. Then when i replaced the converter with the pipe, it got quite noticeably noisier. Not because any leaks, but because (i suspect) the walls of the pipe/header are thinner than the oem manifold and converter and aren't insulating the sound as well. Other than that there's been no drivability or mechanical problems with them.
But also, i've never had a name brand header so i can't compare the two.
Headers are designed to help increase the flow of exhaust, meaning that when there's less baffles or restricted bends, your exhaust tone will change. Sometimes only the tone will change, sometimes it will get louder. It's a natural side effect of running headers, regardless of if it's an Ebay set or brand name.

I've run both brand name and ebay headers, and haven't really noticed any differences between the two. I tend to lean towards ebay simply because paying $5-600 for a set of headers, especially if it's for an I4 engine, is simply a rip off. Oh, one thing you have to remember is that just because it has a recognizable name on it, it's not automatically better than the others.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #8

i think i may go out on a limb and get some ebay ones since its only 120 or so shipped

thanks for all the input btw

skunk2 headers for my car i think were 800$ greddy 500$ i dont no how much dc was but still like lomac said is kind of a rip off imo. well see how it goes, hopefully not to shabbby

one moer question, if i get the stainless steal header will it turn to that golden metallic bronze colour over time?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #9

sorry double post

Old 05-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

I've been using the ebay stainless steel header for 2 years, and counting. The color did change to a bronzish color, with a hint of blue over a short period of time. As for the welds, there's been no issue's so far. If i had to pay $5-600 for a set, i don't think i would have bothered with headers.

On a side note, when i removed the heatshield off the original manifold and removed the manifold, it looked like it was already a factory tuned exhaust. they were individual pipes that went from 4-2-1 with soft bends and equal lengths. Go figure

Last edited by Puck Luck; 05-09-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Puck Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoobird88 View Post
i think i may go out on a limb and get some ebay ones since its only 120 or so shipped

thanks for all the input btw

skunk2 headers for my car i think were 800$ greddy 500$ i dont no how much dc was but still like lomac said is kind of a rip off imo. well see how it goes, hopefully not to shabbby

one moer question, if i get the stainless steal header will it turn to that golden metallic bronze colour over time?
i agree with your choice, i got a "middle grade" header for my RSX, from megan racing. it was half the price of the buddy club header and only makes 3 hp less then the Buddy club header.
IMO if its an older car an ebay header should be fine, but if it was a more exspensive car like a lexus then i would stay away from ebay
and yes, the heat from the heat from the exhuast gasses will turn the stainless steel a blue-sh color,
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Oh, one thing you have to remember is that just because it has a recognizable name on it, it's not automatically better than the others.
Unfortunatly, they usually are better than others. Whether it's a greater hp gain, or the type of materials used to the make the product. Now, would I pay a retarded amount of money on a header? Hell no, especially for my daily driver. But in the case of tuning an 4 cylinder, every single hp gain counts. So for some people, spending that kind of money on a header is worth it, especially if they have the numbers to back it up.

I'm sure this ebay header will be just fine, and for the price it's worth a shot. Hopefully he doesn't have any issues to deal with.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #13

alright i went on ebay earlier today and actually found
a obx and a megan header
obx was 150 megan was 160 or something but the megan came with free shipping!

so i bought the megan racing header as they called it
ended up being 170 something in total
il post a pic when i get it!

thanks for everyones feed back!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookoobird88 View Post

You might want to wipe it down with some WD-40 to get ride of finger prints/oil stains such that when you heat cycle the header and it consequently changes colour, you don't have a header with noticeable hotspots. Not that it REALLY matters, just a FYI.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote