REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
I don't get it

Data Usage

What exactly counts as data usage? I called the Rogers Rep. a few times and they could never give me a straight answer or maybe my phone lingo just sucks..haha.

So can anyone clarify what counts and doesn't count as data usage?
Advertisement
Shorty20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

using a mobile browser, things like facebook etc. if you are worried about data charges, just call rogers and tell them to block data for you.
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
I don't get it

So if I connect to the net on my wifi and browse the web, check my mail and such does that still count towards data usage?
Shorty20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
W2K
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty20 View Post
So if I connect to the net on my wifi and browse the web, check my mail and such does that still count towards data usage?
Nope.
W2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty20 View Post
anything wifi related does not use data
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it

what uses data then?

im getting an unlocked smartphone but im not sure if using the gps system or the web to browse facebook/twitter will take up the data usage thing?
Xnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Data usage means using the phones radio to send/receive information from the web. So if you're on the go downtown or w/e and you need to find something online through your phone, its going to be using data. But say you found a Wifi signal, it wont count since it'll be using the wifi radio to send and receive data through a local network connection. Depending on the phone, you might have to use data to access the GPS capabilities. Symbian phones like the Nokia E71 have the option of using JUST the integrated GPS reciever to find sattelites, albeit slower lockons. Blackberrys and most of the other smartphones need data to access the GPS setups even though they have integrated GPS recievers as well.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

ok so i just called fido and told them i want them to block the data and she asks me what phone do i use. i told her ill be using the htc touch pro but did not say its unlocked. and she said she'll block the data/internet usage so i wont get charged for it since i didnt get a data plan. im wondering if i can still use the internet since its an unlocked phone?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith

^^ chances are no cuz the data is blocked on sim card on ur acct, and even then if u did u'll rack up charges in which fido will probably will not do anything about it since ur not using one of their products

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
I think it's safer that you stick with a regular phone and check your e-mail using a laptop because clearly, the Smartphone outdid you already on an IQ basis.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I think it's safer that you stick with a regular phone and check your e-mail using a laptop because clearly, the Smartphone outdid you already on an IQ basis.
thanks for helping jackass. its my first dataphone, everyone has to start somewhere
Old 05-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

lol dataphone without data is just a phone.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
ok so i just called fido and told them i want them to block the data and she asks me what phone do i use. i told her ill be using the htc touch pro but did not say its unlocked. and she said she'll block the data/internet usage so i wont get charged for it since i didnt get a data plan. im wondering if i can still use the internet since its an unlocked phone?
internet via WIFI ONLY may still be to be accessed. that shouldn't count as data usage as mentioned before. anything else you do without wifi, prepare to be charged with data usage, but then again, you already told them to block data from your acct, so you should be safe.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

yea i dont get why people get data phones or smartphones without using data and just using wifi

but in any case

the carrier has the right to refuse adjustments if they charge data if ur phone is using data even if u called to block as the op is using an unlocked phone. correct me if wrong

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #15
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Er, telling them that you're using an HTC Touch Pro but not telling them that it's unlocked is pointless. Fido doesn't sell that phone so it would necessarily have to be an unlocked phone from elsewhere.
Rhetorical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
Rev
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
lol
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote