REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #26
I am Hook'd on RS

well, the car is way past warranty so it seems im SOL
Advertisement
Tegger604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #27
I bringith the lowerballerith

sounds like its the fault at the dealership ....if you handed your care in care to them, they are responsible for the well being of the vehicle ...

for this to happen to your engine while you were away and someone else was working on it "authorized mechanic" it obvious to me they forgot to put a screw back in or a plug and when they started up your car the engine threw a rod...

sounds like they dry started your engine .

or it may as well be one of the cleaning guys..."guys who washes the vehicle after service .." sounds like they over-revved your engine and it blew a rod ...
Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 PM   #28
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

heres things that stand out to me

the tech saying it happened approx 3 weeks ago - how does the tech know this, there is no way to tell , noise would have been heard when the tech was test driving the car

and that this happened when the engine was being washed, ask yourself, if this happened at idle, how did the rod cap blow through the oil pan, this certainly wouldnt happen at idle, think about how much stress there is to an engine at idle compared to say 5000rpm, why would rprime bother mentioning that it wasnt rev'd about 3500, was it to cover themselves ahead of time? and if the 3rd party inspector is going by the words of the people in the shop, then of course hes gonna say it was a faulty bolt cuz its easier to say that to investigate properly

your car seems fine when you dropped it off, no mention of weird engine noises when you dropped it off by you or the tech, all the sudden, a rod bolt cap stretched to the point of snapping while in their possession, and not just snapping and falling in the pan but snapping and blowing a hole in the pan

maybe they performed an italian tune up with your service
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_tuneup
Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 AM   #29
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

So after a thorough discussion, we came to the conclusion that the tech drained the oil, dropped the oil pan, torqued a rod cap bolt super tight, reseal the oil pan, didnt fill it with oil, and revved to 5k just for fun. Im glad we are getting somewhere now, why didnt we see the obvious before?
scblueIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #30
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
I don't think the tech revved it to 5K for fun if you read Klobbersaurus' post about the Italian tuneup. They probably did it with intention.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #31
I bringith the lowerballerith

it was the car wash kid .... he put the pedal to the metal ..and blew a rod while in neuteral..
Old 05-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #32
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Or the motor is 10+ years old with somewhat high KM's and not even the fabeled all mighty "Invincible JDM(TM)(R)" could save the motor. Shitty situation but to be expected with an older vehicle. How on earth anyone would blame the dealership is beyond me, nothing at all to do with the work done to the vehicle. Time for a rebuilt motor, perhaps the dealership will be sympathetic and offer you a discount on labor.
AdamCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #33
RS controls my life!

Even if one of the staff did run it up to 5000 rpm a couple of times, if its a healthy motor, 5000 rpm shouldn't be a problem. But if revving it up killed it, then it was the "straw that broke the camels back." I'm not saying i know what the root of the problem is, but unless this is a common problem with the toys, then at this point, i don't think we'll ever know what really happened
Old 06-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #34
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

dude.. my camry has 144,000Km on it... it still runs strong.. i really dont think its the revs, IMO its the mechanic... ( my camry is serviced my toyota too)
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #35
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Maybe when "cleaning" the engine like the post above me mentioned they hydrolocked the motor?

Motor's don't throw rod end cap studs for no reason. There usually is knocking before anysort of rod malfunction.

Berz out.
maybe he started to wash it with the motor hot and still running. hehe
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #36
Need to Seek Professional Help

would it be okay to tell us which dealership it is?

cuz i know there are a few fucked up toyota dealerships around here. my uncle took his mr2 to get his serviced and it didnt come back for a week. what ended up happening was that they took his car to a show and did tell him.
cruz-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 PM   #37
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^ u mean didnt
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote