REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 05-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

want to start riding - research

I want to ride sport bikes, but I am still at the research stage at the moment

I am not familiar with bikes models in here. could you please help me finding a new bike that don't depreciate much, reliable, and cheap

I have looked at CBR 125 .. they are around $4000 for 07 or 08 model
what is the best bang for the buck model for bike?
what other models out there. I like yamaha R6, and I saw 2000 model year for around $4000

Also what are the steps to ride here
do I get a bike first then get a license?
or can I get a license with a loaner bike, then buy a bike? which one is preferable?

how about insurance. how much are they per month? for a 2007 CBR125 for example

budget for the bike, the lower the better, if I could get a bike for $3000 and looks sharp that would be my ideal case
*haha don't want to sound cheap.. but unfortunately we don't have that much money to spend

thanks
post your craigslist post if you think you see a good deal

how many KMS does this bike usually last? is 30,000 km a lot for a bike?
Advertisement

Last edited by valent|n0; 05-12-2009 at 03:27 PM.
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
First step, go get your learners.

Step 2 go to a good riding school like BC safety council or my personal favourate Pacific Riding School.
http://www.pacificridingschool.com/

Step 3 use their bikes to take your road test.

Step 4 buy your own bike to ride.

CBR 125's are cheap and might not depreciate any more, but they are gay.
Any 600's are gonna be fast, so be prepared.
Insurance on 125's are really cheap. 600's are going to be around the same as a car, and larger CC bikes will be higher.

One thing to keep in mind, there are 2 types of riders. Those who dropped their bikes, and those that are going to drop their bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
B&S Sexy mod

I'd look into a 250 ninja over the cbr 125, they're fun bikes and have alot more get up and go than the cbr's, still cheap on insurance (40ish bucks a month or so?) and the new ones look way better.
Do a riding school (i know they're expensive, but so is missing time off work cause you're in the hospital).
Make sure you're factoring proper gear in to your expenses too, a good helmet, pants, jacket, gloves & boots add up quick. (you can get a decent deal on jackets gloves and pants pretty easily) but buy a new helmet for sure
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
I'm going through the process right now.

Get your learners
Apply for bike school(popular and highly recommended is Pacific Riding School by dozens of people)
Receive your MST cert upon finishing your bike school(which means you can ride alone now)
Take your test
Get a bike.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
I was in the same boat as you just over a month ago. I got my learners at the end of march and 4 days later I started at Pacific Riding School. I had never ridden a motorcycle before and they were able to teach me everything I needed to ace my road test. I highly recommend a school because they teach you in the classroom, parking lot, and on the road, and they dont just teach you how to pass the road test, they teach you how to avoid accidents. After I got my MST/MSA, I purchased my first bike (2002 Honda shadow) rode it for two weeks, including a trip to Whistler. Then at the end of April I had my road test and I borrowed one of PRS bikes for the road test and passed the test no problem.

As far as choosing the right bike for you, at PRS you will have the option of riding a Ninja 250 and it is a great starter bike that I would choose over the CBR 125. The ninja 250s are also easy to resell when you feel the time has come to upgrade. You can also try a ninja 500 as a starter bike and then eventually go to a 600cc bike.
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

If you're considering both a CBR125 and an R6, then you have zero idea what you want.

So how do you find out? Take a course. Most schools and a variety of bikes of different displacement as well as riding styles that are still well suited for a beginner. While you're there, ask to try a few different bikes. You will have a much better idea of what you want to ride later.

Also, before I got my bike, I had purchased my gear first. Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, and Boots I consider essential. I also got a pair of overpants with armour that are also supposed to be waterproof. You'll need gear no matter what bike you buy, so I'd use your budget to buy gear before the bike.

Personally, I think unless all you're doing is in town commuting, you don't want a CBR125. And if all you are doing is in town commuting, consider a scooter. Much more practical and you don't get ticketed for parking on the sidewalk (most of the time). But seeing how you said "I want to ride sport bikes", I don't think practical commuting is your motivation.

If you go through a proper course, you might not even want the 250. When I was near finished with my course, I asked my instructor, based on what he's seen, should I consider a 250 or a 500. He said I'd outgrow even a 500 within a season. He wasn't advocating full 600 sport bikes, but maybe the twin 650s like the SV or the Ninja. But that's based on what he's seen of my riding skill and mindset. it might be different for you. But again, this is also something you can find out if you take a course.

I'm conservative, and a good deal came along, so I picked up a used Ninja 500R for my first bike and just started riding it a year and a half after I got my license. So far I think it's great. Powerful enough to have something left while on the highway so you don't feel pressured from traffic, but very easy to manipulate powerband for in town low-speed maneuvers.

So my advice is, budget in for a course and gear first, bike can always be financed later if you do run out of money. Take the course, figure out what type of bike you want to ride, then look for appropriate gear (don't want to wear cruiser gear on a sport bike, etc. ). Only then, go look for a bike.

I always tell people, even I can teach you how to ride a bike in an hour. But the school taught me how to think!
j5ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

take a course first. That will help you in your decision as to whether or not you will like riding. Riding is an expensive hobby as well. You have to factor in the price for all your gear as well as the bike and the insurance.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
definitely take riding school it's worth the money, and don't cheap out on gear either. I'm not saying go out and spend 700+ dollars on an arai or shoei helmet or something, just get something that is snell and dot approved. Buy a good jacket go with leather if you have the money imo its much better. Also I suggest to get boots and gloves although that is entirely up to you .

After you have that done go bike shopping. If you're all about the looks i guess you could get the cbr125 it looks alright but I can guarantee that you will be bored of it super quick. Especially if you are riding 250's at riding school such as PRS. Try looking at the older ninja 250's even though they look kinda outdated. Or save up a little and buy the newer ninja 250's. I pretty sure i can safely say that they are way better than the cbr125 and they also hold up their value pretty good if you ever plan to sell them to upgrade.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #9

you all answer all my questions dead ON..!! exactly what I needed
thank you.. thank you
Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
B&S Sexy mod

the way I see it with gloves:
What do you put down first when you fall?
What do you use to post on rs?
What do you use to touch yourself at night?
i think you get the idea, ground up bloody stumps of hands would be no good.
as for helmets i know i said it before, but i'll say it again, get a good new helmet that fits you well (try them on in store for 1/2 an hour to see if it has any pressure points).
Helmets can be compromised by little things like hanging them on your handlebar, knocking them off the seat of your bike, sitting them on the gas tank frequently etc... So dont risk buying a used on that looks OK, your brains worth alot more than a new helmet
Old 05-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Good on you to do some research.

Buy the best gear that your budget can afford. My cheapo $125 Nitro boots saved my right ankle when I lowsided at the track. If your doing all you can to pull something off (ie, knee scrapes, wheelies, stoppies,etc) your riding past your set skill level. Ride like everyone is out to kill you. DO NOT ever assume drivers saw you. Some good tips here from other posters, but please, please, don't start off on a newer 600/1000. Get yourself a 125 - 500 cc bike first. Get used to riding cause the last thing you need to worry is your throttle control WHILE getting used to controlling a bike. Otherwise you end up posting on the "I dropped my Bike" thread. The thing about the true beginner bikes is that they rarely drop in value. Keep it in good condition and you'll get your money back. I spent $3500 on my 98 ex500. 2 yrs later I sold it for $3500. I think I spent about $500 on maintenance the whole 2 yrs.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

1) Get your bike after your do your classes, you'll learn what type of bikes you want. Don't go sport bike just cuz everyone is doing it. Those naked bikes are ILLLLLLLLL!!

2) Don't be ignorant thinking you can skip steps.

3) For helmet and gear, more expensive doesn't necessarily mean safer or better FOR YOU. Cheaper brands may just FIT better. No point in buying an expensive one if it doesn't fit your head/body
kknater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

I start my PRS course in a week!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #14

I just found another bike that looks good and priced good
the Buell XB9R.. hows the maintenance on Buell? is it more expensive than the japanese such as ninja 250 and the like?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Buell's are harley's disguised as sportbikes. So take it as you'd like. From what I heard, they break down quite a bit, I've taken one apart and that's the last time I'll ever do it. Compact design looks good, so I'll give them that.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #16
B&S Sexy mod

they did some weird stuff with the buell, like fuel storage in the frame and oil storage in the swingarm, as well as the front brake rotors that are on the outside
Old 05-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #17
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

dude, stop looking at bikes. Take the course first. After one day on the ninja 250... I thought it(all sportbikes) was the dumbest thing ever to ride on the road.. but perfect for the track. And I was set on getting a cruiser!! lol Now my dream bike is a hd iron 883

Last edited by SuperSlowSS; 05-29-2009 at 06:16 PM.
SuperSlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #18
B&S Sexy mod

^too true, everyone has their own flavours
I've tried out cruisers, dualsports, street legal dirtbikes, standard, sport-standards (what I would classify the SV, 250 ninja, gs500 in), and sportbikes. And I can honestly say that I found the cruisers the most uncomfortable to ride on, didnt like the dirtbikesque ones very much but can ride something like the 250 all day long in comfort
Old 06-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #19

its not even that much about comfort... you can always get used to different bikes. But sportbikes just wants to go. And you really have to ride them fast, since their power are all up high. Lets not even talk about turns... cause who doesn't love to drag knees on a nice curve? The problem with all this on public road is: cops, road conditions you can't see, animals jumping in front of you, etc.

Thats why I believe in v-twins. Lots of torque. Lots of fun. Can't turn very good, Can't brake very good. But something you can kickback and just relax. My next bike for sure! For now...l-twins for me. hhaha
Old 06-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Just because you have taken some riding course, and have drivin a car for a few years does not make capable of riding a motorcycle on the streets. First go on youtube, and look up motorcycle accidents. They have lots of stories on how they miss judged for a second and went down, or were going a little to hard. If that doesnt scare you (and before you sign up for a course) get some riding experiance. Where would you get riding experiance without having your learners? Dirt bike. Go get a cheap dirt bike ride it for the summer on logging roads. I understand a dirt bike is nothing like a street bike but all the same aspects are there;

1) Operations - Clutch, braking, accelerating, reactions, stability
2) Experience - Seat time on 2 wheels can be worth its weight in gold before you ride on the street
3) Awareness - Bumps, blind corners, random things that appear

When it comes to things as dangerous as motorcycle's. Experiance is everything. Be patient. Average lifespan for humans is 75 years. If your 20 you still have 55 years to ride.
cressydrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Took my first road ride today at PRS. Rode a Suzuki 250 Marauder...I liked it! Too bad I already paid for my Ninja 250, lol. Picking it up on Tuesday
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
Where would you get riding experiance without having your learners? Dirt bike. Go get a cheap dirt bike ride it for the summer on logging roads. I understand a dirt bike is nothing like a street bike but all the same aspects are there;
you can't ride on logging roads with a dirtbike, they are considered public roads. you need a street legal bike with plates, insurance, and a class 6. same reason you can't drive ATV's on loging roads. because you can't plate them. you have to be on a road/ trail closed to cars.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
I understand a dirt bike is nothing like a street bike but all the same aspects are there
Then why are you even telling someone to do it? You might as well tell him to ride a bicycle first.

Sorry but I think that's terrible advice. Dirt bike riding is alot different from a motorcycle. There is a reason why there is a riding course available. You don't learn to ride before you take the course. You take the course to learn to ride.

Operations? Most dirt bikes weigh around ~250 lbs and use much softer suspension (when you sit on it, it basically sags 8 inches). Compared to a ~450 lb street bike with hard suspension, braking alone is completely different. Steering is much lighter, there is much less bodymass steering. Heavier bike = body weight has to shift much more.

Experience? Traction control and stability on dirt/gravel is no where close to same as tarmac.

Awareness? I fail to see how dirt bike riding will help you with awareness on the street with the exception of wildlife. Reading/predicting other driver's actions is a much more valuable resource, and how would you do it? Drive a car for a couple years.

How would someone without access to a truck take that dirt bike to a logging road? How much more expense would that create? You're going to learn to operate a clutch and test your reaction time in a logging road???

You do know that people drive 4x4s at 50-60 km speeds, what if you lose control learning (because you don't know how yet) and get clipped by one of them? What if you ride off the slippery gravel road down a cliff? The hospital is 150 kms away... what are you going to do then?

Blind spots? Yes, there are TONS! But you don't even know how to ride a bike yet. What do you do when u see an oncoming logging truck 3 seconds from hitting you? Panic + lock up your brakes and get run over?

Do you even ride a motorcycle? Because if you don't, please don't give out the wrong information. Take the riding course if you want to learn, that's why its there. FYI, I taught myself how to ride a brand new 600cc sportbike in a parking lot after 2 years driving experience. I never took a course and I've never had a motor vehicle accident on my motorcycle. This is my 3rd season riding now. I'm no angel though, I did have a minor spill at Mission Raceway though, but that's besides the point because it's a place where you test your limits.

BTW about your youtube comment, those are posted because those riders can control themselves. Nobody told them to wheelie or go really fast around a corner recklessly.

Control over your mind is key. Be responsible, I play at the limit at the track and not the street. If you want to play around or learn your limit do it at the track, there are paramedics are stationed at each track day and 20 seconds away.

Please don't ever tell someone to learn to ride on a logging road, that has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. No offense, but seriously... retarded.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
Banned By Establishment

I've learned that if you're a beginner and looking for a bike to avoid anything with an "R" in it. Can anyone verify if this is true?
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
Took my first road ride today at PRS. Rode a Suzuki 250 Marauder...I liked it! Too bad I already paid for my Ninja 250, lol. Picking it up on Tuesday
Good job for going to PRS. If you like the 250 marauder, then you should have tried their vulcan 500. I spent a day on ninja and another on vulcan at prs. I loved that vulcan for street riding.