REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Possible scam? italian guy in a black jeep tried selling me designer leather jackets (https://www.revscene.net/forums/575594-possible-scam-italian-guy-black-jeep-tried-selling-me-designer-leather-jackets.html)

Harvey Specter 05-13-2009 04:13 AM

Possible scam? italian guy in a black jeep tried selling me designer leather jackets

So I'm getting in my car yesterday evening when this guy in a rented black Grand Cherokee pulls up. He rolls down his window and in a very heavy accent asks me directions to the airport. I tell him to pull over because there was a car behind him so he does. He gets out and walks up to my window and starts asking for directions. I start giving him directions and I ask him where he's from and where he's flying back too and he's like Italy but didn't suspect anything because this guy was well dressed and wasn't bs'ing about been Italian because his accent was really heavy.

I start my car up thinking the guy is done but he's not. He starts telling me how he was at some fashion show in downtown and he got 3 Armani leather jackets but he couldn't take them back to Italy because of customs and taxes so he goes he'll give me all 3 for the price of one. I said no thanks and he quickly walked back to his rental and drove off. I suspect this a scam so beware of this guy.

El Bastardo 05-13-2009 04:37 AM

Tell him you'll trade him some high end speakers for the jackets

Marco911 05-13-2009 05:31 AM

Dude, it's probably legit. Fashion labels dispose of their clothes after fashion shows by selling them at deep discounts. If it was the same jacket it's a scam, but if it's 3 different jackets then it's probably legit. Plus, you can always check whether the jackets are part of the new season's collection, and you can always tell the leather quality of an expensive jacket. I would have taken a look at least.

steve11 05-13-2009 06:00 AM

ive seen these guys before. exact same situation. fashion show.. italian customs.
my buddy bought a jacket off him and it seemed real enough but there always roaming around doing this. there are pplz with home theater systems as well.

dub.g 05-13-2009 06:23 AM

exact same story with me, except with 2 guys in a chrysler 300

about a year and half ago, i walked out of starbucks with a buddy, and then 2 guys in a 300, wearing a suit pulls up in front of us asking directions to the airport, blah blah, showed us the suits, still in plastic on the backseat..

SlowRider 05-13-2009 07:56 AM

..news flash...there was no armani fashion show downtown...

hal0g0dv2 05-13-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 6421574)

lol
how much or did he not say ?

hotjoint 05-13-2009 08:13 AM

:lol @ trade for high end speakers

A-Dev 05-13-2009 03:42 PM

its not a far stretch tho. It is most likely a scam, but it could very well be legit.
there are always little fashion events going on here and there in vancouver seems like one almost every other day. from balls, to galas, to shows and exhibits.

And the customs/duty in italy are insanely high for bringing things into the country. Especially if that item is made locally in italy.

BUT an italian would know that and not be dumb enough to buy 3 jackets thinking to take them back home with him.. sooo yeah scam.

punkwax 05-13-2009 04:47 PM

A smart man once told me, "If it's too good to be true it probably is."

Same man told me to never leave a birdie putt short.

This advice is golden kids.

Shun Izaki 05-13-2009 04:50 PM

I've only ever heard of one set of speakers being good... friend got a set of high-end tower speakers for $80 that sound absolutely amazing.

jing 05-13-2009 05:27 PM

I guess it never occurred to this guy that he could've just worn one of the jackets on/off the plane.

JulyZerg 05-13-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

:rofl:

I lol'd

ek1 05-13-2009 07:48 PM

its a scam ive seen this EXACT example on this show i forgot now tho. there were 2 victims who bought the leather jackets but they were satisfied even tho it was fake lol it was still a good leather jacket tho

Matsuda 05-13-2009 09:34 PM

I'm going to start selling wonton mein out of the back of my volvo

Teriyaki 05-13-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsuda (Post 6422601)
I'm going to start selling wonton mein out of the back of my volvo

Let me know where it is, I'll hit up this Dai Pai Dong:thumbsup:

rubencruz 05-14-2009 05:24 PM

omg! same thing happened to me i left bayside motorsports after buying a helmet the guy was honking at me asking were the airport was told him to pull over.. after telling him.. he shows me his pasport that was itilian and stating that he owns an armania store and has a whole bunch of leather jackets left. they were called ac? lol stating it was armani collection. in my head im like fuq thiss.... and i said goodbye. be awre this stuff aint worth shit!

AzNightmare 05-14-2009 05:35 PM

Lol, you should of tried to sell him ice cream. Ice cream Truck.

shenmecar 05-14-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

gold.

AzNightmare 05-18-2009 12:10 AM

lol, bumped

This happened on Friday afternoon but I was just about to leave for a trip so I didn't have computer access until now.

He called me over, said he wanted to ask me a question. Then asked me where the airport was, he was an Italian designer. Wanted to sell me something. Usually, I would just say not interested. But because suddenly, this thread clicked in my head, I wanted to do some "investigating."

I don't buy Italian baller stuff so I wouldn't know what to look for fake or real, but at least I can tell you what happened.

So the guy said his name was "Enrique" (I believe that's what he was saying, hard to hear with that heavy Italian accent). He said the same story as above. Has to leave in one hour. He has 8 jackets. Buy one, get all of them. So I asked him how much for one. He brushed the question off by showing me some jackets. Saying it will only take 2 minutes. come look, etc. I asked him again after he showed me one jacket, he kept changing the subject, telling me to look at more jackets. He let me feel the leather, lit a lighter on the leather to it to show it didn't burn. Then he finally said, buy one for $900, and you can have the other 7 for free. For some reason, twice during the conversation, he pulled out a ton of bills form his pocket, saying he had a few thousand dollars. I couldn't really understand why he did that, he was talking rather fast with the heavy accent, but he said something about having a few thousands in his pocket right now. (and he backed that claim up by showing me the bills).

So after that, I just said.. ohh.. 900.. i don't have that much... then said maybe next time. I got his license plate down too just because. But I didn't even remember to take note of what kind of black minivan it was.

JSALES 05-18-2009 12:16 AM

same thing happened to me when i was coming from the bank but the guy was in a chrysler 300C, said he worked for armani and showed me his passport and all that bullshit

TypeRNammer 05-18-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 6427179)
same thing happened to me when i was coming from the bank but the guy was in a chrysler 300C, said he worked for armani and showed me his passport and all that bullshit

same thing happen to me a couple of days ago at panago

Culture_Vulture 05-18-2009 12:40 AM

the next time somebody in a car asks me for directions to the airport, I'm gonna say I'll tell him if he gives me an Armani jacket.

will068 05-18-2009 12:49 AM

Happened to my friend's co worker. This time. my co-worker bought a jacket for $90. he showed the jacket to me at dinner and you can tell right away it was pleather.

Harvey Specter 05-18-2009 01:09 AM

One of my friends said it's supposedly a mafia scam which originates from Europe.