REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 05-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Shaw Secure

Anyone here using it?

How does it compare to McAfee or Norton?
Advertisement

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

it's just a rebranded F-Secure, I'd say it's about the same as mcafee, but of course not as good as NOD.
tcneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
It's like attaching a boat anchor to your car's bumper. It slows your computer to a crawl ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

its not very good
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I have it installed so I can be entered to win a laptop :P
Few things I already noticed:
1. Starting up your computer loading up the system tray icons/applications take an enormous amount of time to load.
2. Freaking 16, yes, SIXTEEN processes are running if you "show processes from all users. It doesn't bother me as I have 4GB ram, but it may matter to some.
3. Applications take longer to load. i.e., Firefox and IE takes a few seconds longer to load. Dunno why it happens, but it does.

I've read detection rates are high. After all, they are using Kaspersky and two other engines.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

As others have already stated, it's a resource hog....it works, but it's still a resource hog...

I've always wondered what the Windows Live One Care is like......
dai3yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Live OneCare's protection is not great. Very resource-friendly, though. I was running it on my media PC because the Microsoft rep gave us free licenses and, about 2 weeks before the license expired, I started getting BSODs. This is a computer that literally just loops TV shows; I download the shows from another computer and send them to it over the network. I had 2 infections, but enough to fuck up the computer. I'm running Kaspersky on it again now (Kaspersky sent us some free licenses a couple months ago).
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
RUN, don't walk, away from Shaw Secure. I got the "install to be entered to win a laptop" thing too, so I decided, what the hey?

First, it uninstalled my Avast.

Then it started downloading updates... and the whole system became unresponsive. It was late, so I left it for the night... it was still going in the morning. (Shaw support said it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes - yeah, right).

It was fine for a couple days, but then I started getting popups that it had found a threat and wanted me to tell it what to do... well, it was finding some keyloggers and various other things I keep tucked away for testing, and the only options it would give me was to delete, clean, quarantine, or block the programs... NO option to simply leave it alone. Then I checked the logs and discovered it had already automatically removed, blocked or quarantined several portions of the applications and was only stopping to ask on parts it wasn't quite sure about.

So at that point I decided to uninstall it... the uninstall process started at about 6:30 last night.

Then I contacted the "online chat" Shaw support... they said if that didn't work, I could download an uninstall tool... I made sure that they noted my extreme dislike of the program on my account.

By 7:30 the uninstaller was still running and I had to go out, so I just left it running...

When I got home at 10:30, it was STILL going... at that point I tried to kill it to run the removal tool... and the system became very slow and stuttery.

I finally forced a reboot and went to bed.

This morning, I ran the uninstaller again... and the system became very slow until it finally rebooted itself. After that, it took a good 15+ minutes for all the system tray icons to come up.

So far, I haven't been able to find the files that it "quarantined" - it appears it deleted all its quarantined stuff when it uninstalled.

At this part I'm thinking I may have to rebuild my system from scratch, then send Shaw a bill for my time spent doing that and trying to replace everything that it removed.

If you really want to install this thing to win a laptop.... do it in a VM or on a machine you don't care about. Install it, get your entry in, then nuke it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote