REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #26
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I think Berz may be onto something here. With the steering wheel locking after the engine dies, it sounds more like the tumbler may be affected. An engine dying will not cause your steering wheel to lock unless the tumbler thinks it's back in "Full Off" mode.

BTW, how do you not notice your engine dying until the steering wheel locks up or the brake pedal goes stiff? Wouldn't the lack of an exhaust tone, or your tach dropping to 0 rpm's alert you much sooner?
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #27
S-S-S-SOUL CRUSHER

haha wow ok
lots to say here
first of all lol david just because im blonde has nothing to do with it! haha gosh jerk lol
secondly
yes i can pop my car into N to start it back up thats what i do lol
third of all Berz i dont think it could be that well maybe i dunno but no i dont have anything on my kep chain cept the alarm car key and a house key THATS it
i hate those chicks that have random stupid shit on there
and last but not lest
(i dont do it anymore) but my car is actaully really quite and super smooth to drive so when i do drive when it shuts off i have my music up so i cant hear anything (dont do that anymore) and also i do notice pretty quick but not right away when it does shut off because all the lights on my cluster turn on i notice that first most of the time
but yeah haha
HollyZ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #28
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

i will say ignition switch or ignition tumbler as well, the reason is cause your steering wheel locks when this happens
Old 05-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #29
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
i will say ignition switch or ignition tumbler as well, the reason is cause your steering wheel locks when this happens
lol imagine that is indeed the issue

HollyZ32: ".....and i replaced the battery, i replaced the transmission, and i also replaced the engine ^.^......"

mechanic: "hmm.. it seems like the tumbler is missing a screw." *inserts screw* "there we go, now the car wont shut off by itself. free of charge, now get out of here"

HollyZ32: "...(o__o)... omfg (Q__Q)..."

"LAGOS - Police in Nigeria are holding a goat on suspicion of attempted armed robbery"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
so instead of teaching retarded monkeys not to cross the yellow line

give them a book and a bannana. the retarded monkey now becomes a smart banana
Chopstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #30
Douchebag Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Main relay is a possible cause of this. Also I'm going to go out on a limb and since your a girl I'm going to guess your key chain weighs about 5 lbs with various shit dangling off it. This causes wear in the ignition cylinder and over time it wears out the tumblers. This causes the ignition to rotate due to the weight of the keys and sometimes results in the car turning off even though its still in the on position (I have had this happen personally so this is how I know)

Now when I see people with heavy key chains I tell them the only thing that should be attached to the ignition key is the alarm remote.

Might not be that but if I had to guess I would say main relay or what I described.

Berz out.
Good idea, but the way the Z32 tumbler is setup, it would be quite a fluke. The key goes in horizontal, and when in the "on" position is vertical. Not only that, but Z32 keys are also lopsided...Like so:
Dentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #31
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
^^

Tumblers, like anything else, do wear out after time. It could purely be a fluke that it's happened to hers.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #32
S-S-S-SOUL CRUSHER

Just throwing this out there
BUTTTTTTT
just above my break peddle there is one pretty big wire that hangs down and sometimes my foot gives it a little yank
could have that anything to do with anything >? lol
HollyZ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Umm.... without knowing what the wire is, we have no idea. It could be the power wire to those subs in your trunk (if you have them, that is).

Maybe you should stop yanking stuff with your foot.

But seriously.. You really should take the car to a shop to get it fixed. We're not going to be able to diagnose it though osmosis...
Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

start the car and just wiggle the key abit and see what happens, if it stalls out then at least you got a starting point