REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Unlocked Berrys. Do they work with Fido?

I've done some research on the web and I'm getting mixed results.

Fido used to support unlocked Berries but you had to call their customer service to add a BlackBerry Connect plan. They have now removed this service.

Specifically speaking, do unlocked Rogers Berries work with the Fido network?

I also read that all PINS are registered with whichever carrier which is why Rogers Berries will not work on the Fido network. But if you got one from T-Mobile or something, it would work no problem?

Can someone shed some light into this?
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

it should still work, but it will just be like a regular phone. no bis.
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Fido offers Blackberry service now.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

just tell the original carrier to release the pin and call fido to add a bb data plan

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

so if you get a blackberry with a data plan on top of your current plan (minutes etc, unlimited evening and weekends, etc) you're looking at a monthly bill of $80 least?
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

depends what voice plan you have.
i have epp plan 17.50$ with 35$ data plan so 65$/month
hi5-ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupeziRL View Post
so if you get a blackberry with a data plan on top of your current plan (minutes etc, unlimited evening and weekends, etc) you're looking at a monthly bill of $80 least?
Im already looking at $70'sih minimum. 80 isnt too hard to hit. :S
Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
62 bucks per month tax in!
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
ddr
Snapping away

what are some things to watch out for when buying a bold secondhand? the trackball?

how does one transfer over the pin? wouldn't i still get old contacts pinning me?
edit: i asked at a fido store and the pins go with the phone. like above you'd ask (if different carrier) to release the pin to a provider of ur choice. but the old contacts could still be pinning u....

Last edited by ddr; 05-20-2009 at 05:51 PM.
ddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:54 AM   #10

So, I figured out that bit. When you sell a berry to someone else, you have to login to your blackberry portal. (This is the same page when you setup your @rogers.blackberry.com email. Subsequently, this portal is owned and operated by RIM.)

When you have logged in you can actually add or remove email accounts associated with your PIN. You can also change the Blackberry device associated with your account which you can do by changing the devices PIN.

I have also found that the website will not let you delete your PIN associated with your Berry and leaving it blank. You have to put another PIN in its stead. For me, I had an old Berry that was not worth selling and switched the old Berry's PIN into the box.

That effectively releases the old PIN to be registered elsewhere. Given that the phone is unlocked. If you don't have another PIN number to swap into you can try calling Tech support and asking them to delete the PIN associated with your device/account. You cannot randomly insert numbers into the PIN box as the website searches the RIM database to see what PINS have been associated with what and will return you with an invalid PIN error.

If you don't release your PIN associated with your old account, the new owner will not be able to create their own @rogers.blackberry.com (or whatever carriers name) email account and they will still receive your emails.

A lot of websites/forums don't tell you this and just tell you to call Tech Support. But if you don't feel like dickin' around with the rep, then you may want to try this method first.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemo View Post
So, I figured out that bit. When you sell a berry to someone else, you have to login to your blackberry portal. (This is the same page when you setup your @rogers.blackberry.com email. Subsequently, this portal is owned and operated by RIM.)

When you have logged in you can actually add or remove email accounts associated with your PIN. You can also change the Blackberry device associated with your account which you can do by changing the devices PIN.

I have also found that the website will not let you delete your PIN associated with your Berry and leaving it blank. You have to put another PIN in its stead. For me, I had an old Berry that was not worth selling and switched the old Berry's PIN into the box.

That effectively releases the old PIN to be registered elsewhere. Given that the phone is unlocked. If you don't have another PIN number to swap into you can try calling Tech support and asking them to delete the PIN associated with your device/account. You cannot randomly insert numbers into the PIN box as the website searches the RIM database to see what PINS have been associated with what and will return you with an invalid PIN error.

If you don't release your PIN associated with your old account, the new owner will not be able to create their own @rogers.blackberry.com (or whatever carriers name) email account and they will still receive your emails.

A lot of websites/forums don't tell you this and just tell you to call Tech Support. But if you don't feel like dickin' around with the rep, then you may want to try this method first.

is this refer to Fido as well? does Fido have @fido.blackberry.com email as well? i called Fido and ask them, they said i don't need to provide PIN to them, all they need is ask me to call them back to add the data plan. they said the PIN is only for me to give to whoever i wanna connect with(just like a phone number to friend). is that true?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
is this refer to Fido as well? does Fido have @fido.blackberry.com email as well? i called Fido and ask them, they said i don't need to provide PIN to them, all they need is ask me to call them back to add the data plan. they said the PIN is only for me to give to whoever i wanna connect with(just like a phone number to friend). is that true?

I'll be getting an used Bold soon.
Wondering about the same question.

Does the Pin HAVE TO BE RELEASED by previous service provider?
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #13
I bringith the lowerballerith

u have to release the pin from the previous carrier

then go to fido.blackberry.com to register pin/imei

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #14
ddr
Snapping away

so on a bnib sealed rogers berry, do i still have to get the seller to release the pin from roger?