REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Got a ticket 'disobey red light at intersection' when making left turn

Ok so I'm on the left turn lane waiting to make a left turn, there's a Van in front of me (so I'm the second car on that lane and my car actually pass the line)

When the light turn yellow, the oncoming car trying to run through a late yellow so making the van in front and me turning at red. And the cop stop me and give me a ticket of 'disobey red light at intersection.

So I have no way to stop at the middle of the road when it turn red and I got a ticket for making the turn, so I am going to dispute and what do you think of the chance winning it? Or am I at fault?
Advertisement
c00per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

You said that you were past the line.

Then you are at fault.

There is only supposed to be one car in the intersection turning left at a time.

Therefore you got a ticket for running a red.

Hope that helps
DelphiR32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

So cops can give out ticket at almost every intersection since for everyday driving there are more then one car at the intersection when making a left turn?
Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

You can actually have as many cars as you want in the intersection as long as you are completely past the line. Most intersections only have room for one car to be completely through though, which is why some people think it's only one.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

ok thanks for the info, and now my question is my ticket is 'disobey red light at intersection', so I'm sure my car has past the line completely in the yellow so does it mean that I didn't run a red (coz from what I read from other post , as long as the light is not red when I past the line I'm not supposed to be running a red?)
Old 05-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Retired Traffic Cop

Running the red means entering the intersection after the traffic signal has turned red. If you were already in it, then this ticket cannot be successfully prosecuted.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

good to know, thanks for the clearification
Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Running the red means entering the intersection after the traffic signal has turned red. If you were already in it, then this ticket cannot be successfully prosecuted.
What if your car is half in the intersection, half behind the line. I would assume that is not considered running a red because your car is IN the intersection?
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro32 View Post
What if your car is half in the intersection, half behind the line. I would assume that is not considered running a red because your car is IN the intersection?
Right.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelphiR32 View Post
You said that you were past the line.

Then you are at fault.

There is only supposed to be one car in the intersection turning left at a time.

Therefore you got a ticket for running a red.

Hope that helps
Uh, what? Where did you get that from? I don't think that's right at all.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
that's actually correct. You are not suppose to block the crosswalk, so for most intersections only 1 car is allowed to be in the intersection at a time. Meaning until the car in front of you turns, your technically not allowed to be right behind him/her. Unless of course your rear bumper can clear the crosswalk.
anti_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
racing & tech mod.

There is no rule in the MVA that says only 1 car in the intersection at a time.

If there is a traffic jam ahead, and you enter the intersection anyway and then cannot complete your turn, and clear the intersection, that is a legitimate MVA offense.

However, I see occasions where someone it is perfectly safe to have 2-3 cars in an intersection waiting to turn left, but one person is too timid and only 1 car makes it through for the turn. That's just plain frustrating.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

the one car rule would come from entering the intersection when it wasn't safe. (the exact MVA quote I don't know)

if there is already a car in the intersection you shouldn't be entering as it is not clear / safe. of course everyone does it, it saves time for everyone.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

So I think there's actually grey area for the left turn rule?

If cops are going to give out ticket for the left turner , I don't think they will have time to fight for crimes..
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #15
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
There is no rule in the MVA that says only 1 car in the intersection at a time.

If there is a traffic jam ahead, and you enter the intersection anyway and then cannot complete your turn, and clear the intersection, that is a legitimate MVA offense.

However, I see occasions where someone it is perfectly safe to have 2-3 cars in an intersection waiting to turn left, but one person is too timid and only 1 car makes it through for the turn. That's just plain frustrating.
Yea what frustrate me is that in my situation the traffic is smooth, and there's no point for me not to go beyond the line and wait for the left turn..and ends up getting a ticket...
Old 05-19-2009, 12:27 AM   #16
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
I remember reading about left turns awhile back and I dug up the old thread on it.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/left-...ight=left+turn

I'm wrong on this, thanks for pointing it out.
DelphiR32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer

sounds like you have all figured this one out and thanks to DelphiR32 for searching the answers out in an old post......

One thing that has not surfaced in this post and is a very common occurence:

One or more vehicles in the intersection waiting to make a left (realy makes no diference to me as long as they all clear when the light changes) Another vehicle waiting at the stop line (completely stopped) light turns yellow and this vehicle immediately starts to proceed forward to get into the intersection and completes a turn. I know you have all seen this as I frequenlty ticket this offence. Contrary to what a number of people are telling me they are taught or understand, a YELLOW light is more of a red light than a green ligth, for some reason people are of the opinion you can continue to drive thru or start to drive thru an intersection on a yellow light...

cOOPER is does appear from your original post you should have a good chance at defending yourself in court, as long as the detail you provided are what occured.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #18
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c00per View Post
So cops can give out ticket at almost every intersection since for everyday driving there are more then one car at the intersection when making a left turn?
To my understanding, technically, yes. More than one car waiting to turn left past the stop line, that is. The first car can roll past the stop line, but the 2nd car must stay behind the stop line until the first car turns. Technically speaking, in your situation, you should not have proceeded forward into the intersection when the light turns yellow since the car in front of you is still yielding to oncoming traffic.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124Y View Post
To my understanding, technically, yes. More than one car waiting to turn left past the stop line, that is. The first car can roll past the stop line, but the 2nd car must stay behind the stop line until the first car turns. Technically speaking, in your situation, you should not have proceeded forward into the intersection when the light turns yellow since the car in front of you is still yielding to oncoming traffic.
Your understanding is wrong. There is no law that limits 1 car in the intersection at a time.

You are not allowed to be stranded in the intersection blocking other traffic when the light is against you - but there is no law in BC that limits 1 car being in the intersection at a time. If you can make it safely, GO.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

It may not be a law, but I'm quite sure it is in the new drivers manual for L drivers. On a driving test I am quite sure you would get dinged for it. I was taught 1 car to turn left and the others must be behind the line. If you think about it, it makes total logical sense.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:58 AM   #21
racing & tech mod.

I just checked the book, and it does not say anywhere that only 1 car should enter the intersection at a time. You were taught wrong.